• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

My Jesus Challenge

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by AV1611VET, Aug 16, 2017.

Is the Biblical Jesus Christ a man-made invention?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2017.
  1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

66.7%
  3. What???

11.1%
  1. AV1611VET

AV1611VET BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Supporter

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    "Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee;"
    ~Genesis 3:18a~

2. Eyes wide Open

Eyes wide Open Love and peace is the ONLY foundation-to build....

+127
    I like the symbolism in the thorn/flower relationship. It makes sense aligning it with ego and a deeper essence to our being. I wrote a poem about playing chase with my kids in a flower garden called ‘don’t forget the roots’ taking the symbolism a stage further with the roots being the most important part of the flower. Nature can show us a lot.

It actually was a Rose garden, New Farm park in Brisbane...if you are ever in that neck of the woods. It’s a way to go I know!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  3. Jane_the_Bane

Jane_the_Bane Gaia's godchild

+3,253
    Pagan
    Legal Union (Other)
    UK-Greens
    Let's also not forget the Luther Rose, a prominent Protestant symbol.

4. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Jesus is affectionately referred to as "the Rose of Sharon."

Song 2:1 I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.

5. Jane_the_Bane

Jane_the_Bane Gaia's godchild

+3,253
    Pagan
    Legal Union (Other)
    UK-Greens
    You think Jesus is the woman in the Song of Songs? And that it was always meant to describe him?

I know there's a long ecclesiastical tradition of re-interpreting this highly erotic love poetry as an allegory for the relationship between Christ and the Church, buuut that one usually puts the Church in the Woman's position and Jesus in the role of the groom.

6. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Methinks someone needs a course in typology.

Did you know that the Tabernacle in the Wilderness is a three-dimensional representation of Jesus Christ?

Everything about that Tabernacle depicts some aspect of Him.

For example, the acacia boards overlaid with gold speak of Jesus as "a root out of a dry ground" (acacia wood); and the gold represents His deity.

Even the fence surrounding it was held up with sixty fence posts, each with silver blocks, procured from half-shekel offerings (or tax, I can't remember which).

Thus sixty half-shekels: a reference to the thirty pieces of silver Jesus was betrayed for.

7. Robban

Robban ----------- Supporter

+2,438
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced

AV, the Tabernacle was built with gifts Exodus 25:1-2,

Exodus 36_3-6

There is a point to it, the Tabernacle was never destroyed
    (hidden)

It shows that anything that is achieved by force will not last, both the what were to be permanent Temples were destroyed.

Anything accomplished by inspiration ,passion and enthusiasm will last forever.

Just one side.

8. dlamberth

dlamberth Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,225
    Other Religion
    US-Others
    Hi Robban.
    I have a question that isn't at all related to this thread, but I see you here and thought I'd ask. I'm reading Matthew Fox's "Meister Eckhart: A Mystic-Warrior for Our Times". He mentions the "Shekinah" of the Jewish tradition. Fox writes that it "depicts the presence of God and the presence of Divine glory, localizing it and making it real."

Are you able to provide more insight into "Shekinah" than the brief couple of sentences that Fox wrote that I quoted above?
    Thanks.

9. Robban

+2,438
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced
    Hi dlamberth,

A good article I would say is by Rabbieinu Yaakov Abuchatzeira.
    "Rectifying the Divine Presence"

"Be strong and courageous and use all of your efforts to restore the "Shechina".

It can be thought that it was not so much Adam and Eve
    was thrown out of the garden but,

that the Divine presence withdrew,

and was gradually drawn down with a manifestation on
    Mt Sinai.

There is an whole ocean of info to be had.

10. dlamberth

dlamberth Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,225
    Other Religion
    US-Others
    I thank you for the reference.
    I have the article up on my computer.

Edited to add: So I'm googling Schechina. There's a lot there that pops up. I'm reading that the dwelling or settling of the Divine presence represents the feminine attribute of the presence of God. Could one relate Shechina to the Christian concept of the Holy Spirit?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  11. Robban

+2,438
    Sweden
    Judaism
    Divorced
    Bon voyage :)

12. the iconoclast

the iconoclast Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it

+78
    Burkina Faso
    Pentecostal
    Private
    Hey hey ananda :)

Thank you for all your replies. Im starting to understand your position a lot more.

Lets concentrate on one area; suffering.

Do you believe moderate suffering and at the right time - and not all the time - can build character and strengthen the individual?

Cheers

13. the iconoclast

the iconoclast Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it

+78
    Burkina Faso
    Pentecostal
    Private
    Hey hey zoness my dear :)

I have not forgotten you. We shall continue soon, aren't surprises fun!!!

Cheers

14. ananda

ananda Early Buddhist

+2,081
    Private
    Yes; suffering can potentially build character and give strength to an observantly wise individual. However, we understand that character and strength are not end-goals in and of themselves; we understand that the end-goal of such improvements is ultimately to overcome suffering.

Such also describes the Buddhist Eightfold Path; enduring its progressive practice builds character and strength for the end-goal of overcoming suffering.

15. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    It sure does, doesn't it?

Especially the second path, which justtifies a father leaving his wife and son behind.

In a bad marriage? wife bossy and kids whiny?

No problem.

Become a Buddhist and follow the Eightfold Path to enlightenment.

Yes, sir ... it builds character alright.

A character that needs to go to jail.

16. ananda

ananda Early Buddhist

+2,081
    Private
    There was no indication that his wife was bossy or his child whiny. He went to search for and to attain the most supreme prize possible - surpassing all other things in the world - and returned to share that prize with his wife and child. I see no problem with that.

Even today, whether leaving for military service, long-haul trucking jobs, immigrants, etc., parents take such work which takes them away from their families for long periods of time, in order to provide for their family in different ways. The Buddha did similarly - but for a far greater reward than mere money.

Yes, there is a possibility that he was only following Jesus' admonition to hate his wife and children (Luke 14:26). Are you suggesting that he should be jailed because he didn't do enough - that he should have instead taken his child to dash him against a rock (Psalms 137:9) before leaving with hatred?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  17. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others
    All people who believe Jesus never existed are enemies to christianity and should be treated as such

18. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    How about we just consider them a mission field and not get so drastic?

19. awitch

awitch Retired from Christian Forums

+2,957
    United States
    Pagan
    Private
    US-Democrat
    And how would you treat me or encourage others to treat me, specifically?

20. andy b

andy b Newbie Supporter

+187
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Others
    It's how you define enemy butt not all ideologies wish to kill there foes...but let's be honest you wish to consign Jesus to the fictional category of the liberar with superman so the gloves are off so to speak