My Jesus Challenge

Is the Biblical Jesus Christ a man-made invention?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

While many will likely give you some specific historical references, even to the extent of His disciples (why would they lie and then face execution, but not recant?.....) etc., it's very easy to get caught up in just argument, so I would like to offer you an entirely different angle to also look at, in your own time.

Are these very specific instructions Jesus is reported to have said on how to live the very best ones possible -- better than other alternative ways to live -- in their effects on your life, over time? >

"So in everything, do to others as you would have them do to you, for this sums up the law..."

"Love your neighbor as yourself."

"“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies..."

One way to find out if you are skeptical by nature, like me, is to actually test them directly, over time, and find out first hand by direct observation what the effects of them are when put into practice.

First hand. Direct results, observation.

Do they work well, or not?

That's what I did -- testing.

They worked surprisingly well. The effect of the "love your enemy" was just truly amazing to me, when I was finally able to push myself into doing it and finding out the result.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I've no idea, I'm ultimately agnostic on that question.

However, I will say that if he was truly almighty god, he could've done a much better job communicating, preserving, and authenticating his message. Therefore, I lean towards "yes", that the Jesus concept was invented by man.

Upvote 0

Dartman

May 23, 2017
Washington
✟27,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it would take someone greater than Christ to invent Christ.
Matt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

2 Cor 11:3-4 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I think that he historically existed but am unsure of the claims surrounding his powers. It's been a lot of centuries since then with a lot of distortion man-made or otherwise. It's very challenging to know what is true. At present its not a question I concern myself with.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I personally think he exists.. Seems to have some discernible raw and logically consistent psychology to him. Obviously I don't believe in the supernatural aspect though.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,324.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

It is possible, I have no way of knowing,
do you?

Christianity itself has been used or misused,
it is something I keep coming back to,

For example, this vid shows one example,
from about 2:40.

I think there is something very fishy about the whole story.

It is not for the want of trying to get a handle on it.

But there is something of a boomerang,
it keeps coming back.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Given what we do know about the texts and the historical context, it's pretty clear that at least parts of Jesus's biography and supposed deeds are pious fictions, yes.

There's some strong indication the birth narrative is a late invention, for example, born from a need to supply the supposed messiah with a background that would match certain prophecies. ("He was from Nazareth, but the messiah was to be born in Bethlehem. Hence, his parents must have gone there for some reason. Wasn't there a census or something?")

You've got earthquakes and dead saints walking the street, yet no one seems to have witnessed any of that.

Matthew has a strong tendency to double elements (one possessed man becomes two possessed men, and Jesus rides into Jerusalem on TWO donkeys, etc.).
And the gospel of John shows a Jesus whose behaviour is strikingly different from what you see in the synoptics, proclaiming his divinity from the rooftops while synoptic Jesus told the people he healed not to talk to anyone about his miracles.

In short, there is sufficient reason to doubt the veracity of these accounts, even though I'm pretty sure that most of it has got at least *some* historical roots.
But in the end, the supernatural aspects have got no more currency for me than the supposed miracles of Mani, Mohammed, or Joseph Smith (just to mention a few).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we can trust the Sermon on the Mount to be the words of Jesus. If people would just learn that much about the teaching of Jesus that is a chunk of change. Jesus stared out with 70 disciples, then that was reduced to 12 and the inner circle of John James and Peter were three. So it really depends which of those three groups we want to find ourselves in. If you want to join the inner circle that is going take more faith then if you just want to be a part of the 70.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that he historically existed but am unsure of the claims surrounding his powers. It's been a lot of centuries since then with a lot of distortion man-made or otherwise. It's very challenging to know what is true. At present its not a question I concern myself with.
We can just read the Bible. We have the Holy Spirit of God to be our Teacher and our Guide. We do not need man to teach us. Even Moses 3500 years ago had all of God's plan of restoration & salvation. Nothing has been added to what we received from Moses. I use that as a check and balance to be sure we have a proper understanding of the New Testament. We may not have the understanding Paul had of the Old Testament but we can still understand well enough to know that our interpretation of the New Testament is accurate.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm feel quite sure that a real person named Jesus existed. But he was the son of God only in the sense that each and every one of us is the son of God.
I am sorry for your disbelief.
John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,309.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I am sorry for your disbelief.
John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Please, don't be sorry for me. I'm very close to my Beloved God. I have a deep belief in God with an awareness of Christ that is not limited or bound to a single person or place but is Cosmic in nature as the Light of God reaches into the very fabric of this Creation.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,324.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I personally think he exists.. Seems to have some discernible raw and logically consistent psychology to him. Obviously I don't believe in the supernatural aspect though.

Very interesting that you write "he exists".

Is that not the whole point?

Upvote 0