Mar 15, 2017
Dothan, Alabama
Visit site
✟16,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been told all my life that I'm stubborn as a mule, unwilling and uncaring to listen or heed to advice. I eventually just learned to accept that as a part of my personality, however being in that mindset has gotten me in bad places.

For those of you who don't know, I've been searching a long time for the woman God wants me to marry and it's not worked out. I have a sinking feeling that this is due to the fact that in the back of my mind I think that any woman who does not like me is a fool for not liking me.

This has also affected me on a business level. I make wedding films for a living, and I'm pretty good at it. I also have a very strong interest in making movies. There is a friend of mind (we'll call him Bob) who is also interested in filmmaking. He's really into it, but he's trying to start out, so I thought I would help him out. We talked about ideas for a script, and basically all the suggestions I made were immediately shot down. So, I start thinking about ways to reply...

I talk to my brother about the issue, and he tells me I'm a stuck-up piece of trash.

There's no doubt in my mind that I have a severe issue with pride. I can remember praying to God asking him to prevent me from excelling in the area I was prideful about, and to humble me. All I can say is that I've had very many humiliating experiences that brought be down to a level in which I actually believe that I'm just as important as everyone else. But, somewhere along the way it comes back and I start thinking I'm a big-shot again.

I don't know if this is part of the issue, but I get a lot of criticism from my dad whenever I complete a video I've been working on for a long time. That's the way he's always been, and I don't ever expect him to congratulate me over what I did. But I swear the few times he has congratulated me I feel like I've climbed Mt. Everest, or cured cancer.

I talk to God a lot throughout the day, but I'm pretty bad on remembering scriptures that relate to my problem, other that the one that says: "Pride cometh before a fall".

Trust me, I've fallen a lot lately.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a prayer that helps me very much:

O Lord Jesus, hide me in the wound of Your Sacred Heart. Free me from my desire to be loved and esteemed. Guard me from my evil attempts to win fame and honor. Make me humble till I become a small spark in the flame of love in Your Sacred Heart. Grant me the grace to forget myself and all worldly things. Jesus, sweet beyond words, convert all worldly consolations into bitterness for me. O my Jesus, Sun of Justice, enlighten my intellect and mind with Your sacred rays. Purify my heart, consume me with burning love for You, and make me one with You.

Reactions: PeterDona
Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the comment about how proud you felt when your father praised your work could offer valuable insight into why you are so prideful. Sometimes people who seek the approval of their parents, yet rarely get it, end up continually pursuing the validation of others.

You need to remember that you are valued by God, and what other people think doesn't really matter. In fact, without God's love and grace we are all nothing. Fame and fortune are temporary rewards. It's the eternal reward that is important.

You are young, and often young people are prideful. That's often just the way it is. Life has a way of showing us how little we really know, the longer we live.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been told all my life that I'm stubborn as a mule, unwilling and uncaring to listen or heed to advice. I eventually just learned to accept that as a part of my personality, however being in that mindset has gotten me in bad places.

For those of you who don't know, I've been searching a long time for the woman God wants me to marry and it's not worked out. I have a sinking feeling that this is due to the fact that in the back of my mind I think that any woman who does not like me is a fool for not liking me.

This has also affected me on a business level. I make wedding films for a living, and I'm pretty good at it. I also have a very strong interest in making movies. There is a friend of mind (we'll call him Bob) who is also interested in filmmaking. He's really into it, but he's trying to start out, so I thought I would help him out. We talked about ideas for a script, and basically all the suggestions I made were immediately shot down. So, I start thinking about ways to reply...

I talk to my brother about the issue, and he tells me I'm a stuck-up piece of trash.

There's no doubt in my mind that I have a severe issue with pride. I can remember praying to God asking him to prevent me from excelling in the area I was prideful about, and to humble me. All I can say is that I've had very many humiliating experiences that brought be down to a level in which I actually believe that I'm just as important as everyone else. But, somewhere along the way it comes back and I start thinking I'm a big-shot again.

I don't know if this is part of the issue, but I get a lot of criticism from my dad whenever I complete a video I've been working on for a long time. That's the way he's always been, and I don't ever expect him to congratulate me over what I did. But I swear the few times he has congratulated me I feel like I've climbed Mt. Everest, or cured cancer.

I talk to God a lot throughout the day, but I'm pretty bad on remembering scriptures that relate to my problem, other that the one that says: "Pride cometh before a fall".

It takes practice, and your actually very good at seeing other viewpoints.
You are far more focused on others than yourself. Normally I would just
suggest that a person re-write the previous post and not mention their
own situation or use the words "me" or "I" or refer to self.

But you talked about your father, brother, and friend, which is very rare
for a person with a pride problem.

So here is your goal: Always, in everything, respond with "Yes...and....." .
It's an exercise in listening and progress. The more you do it, the more
you train yourself to listen, agree, then respond.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I have been in your situation. I used to be so prideful. God got me through it by making me fall, a lot, and then He just maked me feel deeply loved. It stemmed from such a deep, deep insecurity and a lot of criticism from others. It usually does. And it's a bad circle that needs to be broken. Maybe that is something you need to adress?
I think that the Holy Spirit doesn't give you verses about pride, because you aren't struggling with pride, but with self-image.
You seem to have people in your life telling you that you are stubborn and prideful, even though you've changed. Don't listen to them! We humans have a way of keeping a record in our minds of people's faults, and reacting to that instead of what you are doing today. Just keep focusing on who you are today, and keep on doing what the Spirit is leading you to, thank God for the changes He has done in you, and dwell in His love.

Upvote 0