Feb 7, 2015
✟2,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi I'm 41yo from Australia. I grew up in a catholic family but turned away from God becoming an atheist for about 10 years. In that time I lived a life of sin. I changed my position to agnostic and started my journey back to God, that's my similarity to the prodigal son.

As the years went by my faith in god slowly increased. I noticed a hostile attitude towards religion from theoretical science and the secular society in which we live. About a year ago I went to confession for the first time in over 20 years and began reading the bible. I started to get a bit confused in the book of Leviticus so I skipped to the new testament. I still remembered the miracles that Jesus performed but soon realized that it's not really about that, it's about the things Jesus said. I was taken away by his teachings and by Paul's though I still have much more to understand. I have faith in God but a small part of me wonders if Jesus is really the son of God. It's the same doubt that Thomas had and I want to overcome it.

I'm an addict, a slave to drugs and inappropriate contentography and so I began my road to recovery. Romans 7:14-24 describes my addiction perfectly. With a counselor and NA meetings i was doing well and making progress until I was made to serve a prison sentence. Satan tempts people when they are weak and he has a strong presence in jail. He tempted me through in mates, guards, drugs and smokes but most of all he tempted me with the most evil thoughts of revenge I've ever had.

But within the shock, trauma and stress of the prison walls God has a huge presence and helped me stay strong and not fall into temptation. I never felt closer to God. Upon my release I found that the worries of this world got between us. I harbor much resentment towards society and the justice system. I hold no resentments towards my friends and family but I don't know how to forgive a corrupt justice system that has it's values controlled by money.

So now I'm fighting a spiritual war, building my armour of God to better stand against the temptations of Satan. I'm looking to join a church and go to mass every week, join a bible study group and find a pastor to talk to for some religious counseling so that I can grow closer to God.

Sorry for making the intro so long. God Bless

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome and we will all pray for your path to be clear towards God. He is calling you.

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Knowing Jesus Christ is both Just and the Justifier, and through Him we have salvation unto eternal life. That all who believe and trust in Him will not perish but be adopted children and co-heirs with Him.

And in Romans chapter 10 we are told:

9that if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with your heart you believe and are justified, and with your mouth you confess and are saved.

11It is just as the Scripture says: “Anyone who believes in Him will never be put to shame.” 12For there is no difference between Jew and Greek: The same Lord is Lord of all, and gives richly to all who call on Him, 13for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (BSB Bible)

For God’s will and purpose always,

God Bless

Redleg

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2015
✟2,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks guys.

The following is part of a sermon given by St Anthony of Padua.
"So the religious soul finds in the heart of Jesus a secure refuge against the wiles and attacks of Satan, and a delightful retreat. But we must not rest merely at the entrance to the hole in the rock, we must penetrate its depths. At the mouth of the deep hollow, at the mouth of the wound in his side we shall, indeed, find the precious blood which has redeemed us. This blood pleads for us and demands mercy for us. But the religious soul must not stay at the entrance. When he has heard, and understood, the voice of the divine blood, he must hasten to the very source from which it springs, into the very innermost sanctuary of the heart of Jesus. There he will find light, peace, and ineffable consolations."

I feel like I was at the entrance to the wound in his side while I was in prison but failed to enter it to find his heart. My doubt in Jesus is irrational because God protected me when I was at my most vulnerable. He did this through the scripture of the new testament. It was the word of Jesus that brought God closer to me.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi I'm 41yo from Australia. I grew up in a catholic family but turned away from God becoming an atheist for about 10 years. In that time I lived a life of sin. I changed my position to agnostic and started my journey back to God, that's my similarity to the prodigal son.

As the years went by my faith in god slowly increased. I noticed a hostile attitude towards religion from theoretical science and the secular society in which we live. About a year ago I went to confession for the first time in over 20 years and began reading the bible. I started to get a bit confused in the book of Leviticus so I skipped to the new testament. I still remembered the miracles that Jesus performed but soon realized that it's not really about that, it's about the things Jesus said. I was taken away by his teachings and by Paul's though I still have much more to understand. I have faith in God but a small part of me wonders if Jesus is really the son of God. It's the same doubt that Thomas had and I want to overcome it.

I'm an addict, a slave to drugs and inappropriate contentography and so I began my road to recovery. Romans 7:14-24 describes my addiction perfectly. With a counselor and NA meetings i was doing well and making progress until I was made to serve a prison sentence. Satan tempts people when they are weak and he has a strong presence in jail. He tempted me through in mates, guards, drugs and smokes but most of all he tempted me with the most evil thoughts of revenge I've ever had.

But within the shock, trauma and stress of the prison walls God has a huge presence and helped me stay strong and not fall into temptation. I never felt closer to God. Upon my release I found that the worries of this world got between us. I harbor much resentment towards society and the justice system. I hold no resentments towards my friends and family but I don't know how to forgive a corrupt justice system that has it's values controlled by money.

So now I'm fighting a spiritual war, building my armour of God to better stand against the temptations of Satan. I'm looking to join a church and go to mass every week, join a bible study group and find a pastor to talk to for some religious counseling so that I can grow closer to God.

Sorry for making the intro so long. God Bless
Welcome to another Aussie. Our small fellowship has a free Bible School and we offer counselling as well. We have found that people need both counselling for freedom and to be established through the Word so that they can stay free. We are based in Frankston, near Melbourne. Check us out, search for Christian Life Frankston. There is a link to the Bible School also.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2015
✟2,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to another Aussie. Our small fellowship has a free Bible School and we offer counselling as well. We have found that people need both counselling for freedom and to be established through the Word so that they can stay free. We are based in Frankston, near Melbourne. Check us out, search for Christian Life Frankston. There is a link to the Bible School also.

Thanks Pete. I'm also from Melbourne but on the other side of town near the airport. I like my counselor but it's a secular thing, cognative behavioural therapy. But I have no one to talk to about religion atm. Cheers for the invite.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks Pete. I'm also from Melbourne but on the other side of town near the airport. I like my counselor but it's a secular thing, cognative behavioural therapy. But I have no one to talk to about religion atm. Cheers for the invite.
We are minutes away from the station. One session with us would better than weeks with a secular counsellor. They can tell you the problem, not so good with answers. We can help in both ways. We do not charge for the school or counselling. My colleague and I have nearly 80 years in the Lord between us. I'm ex military. There is not much that shocks me, I can assure you!

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2015
✟2,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
But Pete I've got no drivers license, in fact that's why I was in prison for driving unlicensed multiple times. Google maps tells me it would take over 2 hours and 30 minutes to reach Frankston station from my place in Tulla using public transport. And with the return trip and I'm spending over 5 hours on public transport, not including waiting times

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
But Pete I've got no drivers license, in fact that's why I was in prison for driving unlicensed multiple times. Google maps tells me it would take over 2 hours and 30 minutes to reach Frankston station from my place in Tulla using public transport. And with the return trip and I'm spending over 5 hours on public transport, not including waiting times
Fair enough. I know the bus is very slow, I thought rail might be faster. Feel free to look at our web site. There is some wonderful teaching on what it means to be born again and how to deal with unforgiveness. I think both articles would be most helpful for you. Search for Christian Life Frankston. You'll find the articles on "Living Word". Feel free to phone me if things are getting too hard. Talking things through can help, especially with a brother in the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums