My husband can't forgive me.. what do I do?

Apr 30, 2013
✟10,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Have any of you got any ideas about scriptures I should pray for my marriage?
I have had a mental illness and it has taken me many years to get insight into my problem and to agree to treatment. My husband cannot forgive me for this because he believes that I hurt him because I failed to get treatment. (I always believed God would heal me but lately I have seen that medication has been useful). My husband is so angry at me and my family because lots of nasty words were exchanged between them all when I was sick in hospital many times. I had no control over things that were said between them all when I was sick, but he still blames me for things that were said by my family. He says he doesn't know how to forgive me. What am I supposed to do to help us move on from here when he says that he thinks he might never be able to forgive me, and that he will definitely never forgive my family?

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try to convince him to take marital counceling. Maybe for a certain period of time, six months to a year maybe? Perhaps you'llfind ways of coping there as well as insights to how to deal with your family. Other then that, I don't know what advice to give you. It aounds like it's been a very difficult path for all.of you. God bless you!

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What am I supposed to do to help us move on from here when he says that he thinks he might never be able to forgive me, and that he will definitely never forgive my family?

I am sorry for the disunity between your husband, you and your family.
There are several things that need to be done.
An important issue is for everyone to recognise that sickness of what ever sort needs to be seen and treated by a doctor. That is the major way God heals.

Once your family have recognised this then both sides can apologise for the hurtful things said.

Unfortunetly just saying sorry when preventing your seeing a doctor is not enough.

Then everyone has to read and apply Luke 17 verse 3+4 which says if a brother sins against you and say I am sorry we Must forgive him.

Don't just read the verses, both sides have to ac knowledge what they did wrong, that is your family were wrong to stop your husband getting you a doctor and what ever words were said by both sides were wrong.

You may not get reconciliation if the first steps cannot be taken.

Then your husband needs to pray for your family that God will convict them and forgive them.
He has to do this so he can let go of his bitterness.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟323,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ask him if he will pray to the Holy Spirit and for him to ask the Holy Spirit to see you through the eyes of the Holy Spirit instead of his own. Of course to do that he has to be a believer. if he is not a believer then you need to recognize that that fact is part of his inability to forgive you.

For the record, he should be joyous that you are doing better !

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Time, prayer, and counseling - all three. These will help you heal your marriage. As I remember someone once saying in the aftermath of an issue similar to this (paraphrased of course):

wife "I'm sorry, at least that is over. I had some issues but I think it is under control now. I couldn't see what was happening and I didn't know, it wasn't me, it was my condition."

husband "It's ok, I know you didn't do that on purpose, but that really happened to me; I had to really live through it. Maybe it "wasn't you" but I had to live through it, trying to get you to see you needed help. I can forgive you, but it is going to take time to get over it. It is going to take time for me to know the real you, the you that isn't going to hurt me."

Things like this that take a long time to get through, that one has to learn that the patterns and issues have changed will take time. Counseling can help speed that time along, but it is not going to change overnight.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

Matthew 24 10

Feb 28, 2018
Warsaw
✟9,130.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Have any of you got any ideas about scriptures I should pray for my marriage?
I have had a mental illness and it has taken me many years to get insight into my problem and to agree to treatment. My husband cannot forgive me for this because he believes that I hurt him because I failed to get treatment. (I always believed God would heal me but lately I have seen that medication has been useful). My husband is so angry at me and my family because lots of nasty words were exchanged between them all when I was sick in hospital many times. I had no control over things that were said between them all when I was sick, but he still blames me for things that were said by my family. He says he doesn't know how to forgive me. What am I supposed to do to help us move on from here when he says that he thinks he might never be able to forgive me, and that he will definitely never forgive my family?

You did right if that's what you said is true and your husband might not be saved if he puts trust in pills rather than God so you can give him gospel of salvation 1 Cor 15:1-4 .

Most of these pills give you placebo effect .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums