Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I apply hermenutics to everything... for me there are Biblical ones and ones applied to life.

One hermeneutic I have toward life is this: "All truth is God's truth", If, for instance, another religion endorses the golden rule, its because they sometimes get things right. Also, I go to a surgeon to fix my heart valve, not a great Bible teacher.

One hermeneutic I have toward the New Testament is that the Old Testament, the Gospels, and other Apostles inform Paul, not the other way around. So, for instance, when Paul says, "May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." I do not see this as an opportunity to throw out all that the Scriptures said before Paul in favor of a tripartite anthropology.

Last edited:
Reactions: yeshuasavedme

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, Summa....

There are always several perspectives to observe with a topic like this. I'll point to a positive one.
Jesus' disciples were concerned that some strangers who they did not know were going around casting out evil spirits in his name.
Jesus basically said, fine, it's great. If someone is for us they are not against us. In other words, if someone exhibits any of the fruits of the spirit he is happy about it.

We should be careful not to judge someones good deeds as fake just because we see them as part of a false group. At the same time, we should not excuse a persons evil acts because they are a "Christian".

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Interesting, Summa....

There are always several perspectives to observe with a topic like this. I'll point to a positive one.
Jesus' disciples were concerned that some strangers who they did not know were going around casting out evil spirits in his name.
Jesus basically said, fine, it's great. If someone is for us they are not against us. In other words, if someone exhibits any of the fruits of the spirit he is happy about it.

We should be careful not to judge someones good deeds as fake just because we see them as part of a false group. At the same time, we should not excuse a persons evil acts because they are a "Christian".
Okay, I'll file that one under 'hermeneutics for life'. :) ...and I agree.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Here's one:

I try to avoid being too forceful on building a teaching on a single passage or verse of Scripture. It seems the principle here is "everything should be proved by two or more witnesses".

This is especially true in any case where the source text has problems. For example, when the witness of the Masoretic text is different from the Septuagintal one. In cases like that I feel the need to bring together a greater 'crowd of witnesses' before I assertively teach something, and especially if the thing I assert is controversial or if it creates a novel model of understanding on any given subject or if it overturns a traditional understanding.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One hermeneutic I have toward the New Testament is that the Old Testament, the Gospels, and other Apostles inform Paul, not the other way around.

Paul seems to say he was informed directly from Jesus:

Gal 1:11 Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. 1:12 For I did not receive it or learn it from any human source; instead I received it by a revelation of Jesus Christ........1:15 But when the one who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace was pleased 1:16 to reveal his Son in me so that I could preach himamong the Gentiles, I did not go to ask advice from any human being, 1:17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before me...1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and get information from him, and I stayed with him fifteen days. 1:19 But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord’s brother. 1:20 I assure you that, before God, I am not lying about what I am writing to you! 1:21 Afterward I went to the regions of Syria and Cilicia. 1:22 But I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. 1:23 They were only hearing, “The one who once persecuted us is now proclaiming the good news of the faith he once tried to destroy.” 1:24 So they glorified God because of me. 2:1 Then after fourteen years I went up to Jerusalem...

Upvote 0