My girlfriend is Jewish, and i'm Christian

My girlfriend is Jewish and I'm a Christian.  I've been thinking a lot lately about 2 Corinthians 6:14-16 which states "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers.  For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?  What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols?  For we are the temple of the living God.  As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people".

"yoked" - means joined together (a relationship between people)

"unbelievers" - persons who are not children of God

Christians *AND JEWS* are the temple of the living God.  I believe that when the author wrote "unbelievers", he was talking about children of God, which includes the Jews.

I do not think it would be appropriate for me to date/marry a person who is atheist or Islamic, because I believe this particular scripture says so.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

thank you sooooo much.

FOMWatts<><

Follower of the Way
Jan 6, 2002
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟15,970.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I agree for the most part...

The Jewish people are God's people, yet they do not believe that Jesus Christ is God's Son...but God favors them anyway. unbelievers in the context of the verses you quoted are referring to exactly what you said they are, anyone who is not a child of God.

Just my thoughts,

FOMWatts<><

Upvote 0
*IF* we&nbsp;are to marry in the future, I do not know what we will do with the children.&nbsp; That is a matter for us to discuss and share with each other.&nbsp; We're so great together, and if it's God's will that we are to marry - then we'll deal with that as it comes.&nbsp; Right now, i'm so thankful for her in my life.

Thanks for your replies, and by all means - keep them coming.

Upvote 0

GodOwnsMe

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
✟2,433.00
Faith
Christian
I just think it's not good that you don't have the same believes cause I mean... You're life's just so much about this & she can't understand...
I got some devos on the one of ours computers that doesn't work right now :/ but the 'spiritual foundation' is very very important for a relationship... anyway, I just started reading a cool book about a Jewish girl becoming a Christian and her family is pretty pretty mad at her, she asks them to read the bible to decide themselves what's right, they wanna prove her wrong, but in the end get Christians too I think (at least the father), but I haven't gotten this far yet (it's a true story, the father wrote the book) it's called "Betrayed !" by Stan Telchin.
Pray about this, talk to your gf (well you prolly know better but ya know be honest & show her you care.. :))
I think well she doesn't believe in Jesus, which'd make her an unbeliever in that way, well now that shes already your gf definately talk to God about this & trust in Him !!
Father, please do the best for underground4 and his girlfriend, give them the wisdom and understanding they need, draw them all close to You, and guide underground4 and fill his heart with Your love, joy, and peace. Please help him place stuff in Your hands and fo what You want Him true and trust You all the way. In Jesus' name. Amen

Upvote 0
I've known her for about 5 months.&nbsp; I'm very careful when using the word "love".&nbsp;&nbsp;I care about her very very much.&nbsp; We get along extremely well, and we look out for each other and protect each other.

I realize this is going to be a difficult relationship.&nbsp; If it's in God's will, then it will work out.

Upvote 0

goodnewsinc

Site Supporter
Feb 18, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
✟72,703.00
Faith
Christian
Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Do you love this young lady as yourself?&nbsp; Would you want her to drop you because you are not Jewish?&nbsp; Perhaps she loves you like she loves herself.&nbsp; Is she in compliance with the Second Great Commandment as Jesus taught it with regard to you two?&nbsp; Now what will you do with these words from Paul:

1 Corinthians 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. 13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

I see no problem if YOU live the Second Great Commandment as Jesus stated it.

Acts 10:28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

This applies to sweet Jewish young ladies also!&nbsp; They are not common or unclean to God!&nbsp; Mull over this!

John,

GOOD NEWS, Inc. :clap: :wave: :pink:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Underground4,

You already know what God says regarding unbelievers and "yoked" to them is not to be done as you already know the Corinthians 2 passage. If you continue in this relationship and marry, you have disobeyed the LORD and have made a spirtual compromise to YOUR detremint. Generally, it is the believer who has the most to loose and "missionary" dating is risky.

As much as you are rationalizing this relationship, you stand the most to loose spiritually. Think long and hard about continuing in spiritual disobedience.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Christians *AND JEWS* are the temple of the living God.&nbsp; I believe that when the author wrote "unbelievers", he was talking about children of God, which includes the Jews.

&nbsp;

Did you read my entire post?
Read the verse in context with the rest of the passage.

&nbsp;

As a matter of fact, i am STRONGER&nbsp;in my relationship with God since meeting her.&nbsp; Never before have I questioned what I believe and WHY I believe it.

Upvote 0
Um....sorry, not yet...Jews that is...at least those who have not accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Messiah...if she has accepted Jesus as Messiah, then I apologize for misunderstanding.

However, the way I read it, she is not a beleiver in Jesus as her personal Messiah.&nbsp; If she is she is a Jewish-Christian, you should have stated that in your initial post.&nbsp; In fact, my Bible Study leader is a Jewish-Christian.&nbsp;&nbsp;So you tell me, is she?&nbsp; You better know this, if you are a Christian.

Upvote 0

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
Unbelievers means those who do not believe in jesus Christ, and also keep in mind Jesus' words when he said that he who knows me knows the Father and he who doesn't know me doesn't know the father. Not to mention most Jews are non-relgiious. She cannot have a relationship with God, apart from Jesus Christ, and you cannot please God apart from Christ. Jews are not the temple of the Holy Spiirt, they never were until those who turned to Christ. Thats why they had to have the temple or tabernacle for God to dwell, because they were not justified. Compare the passage in 2 Cor 6 to I Cor 5:19-20
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. (1Co 6:19-20 KJV)
I think that Paul when he says price, is reffering to Christ's death being the price. God did rescue Israel many times, but Paul is clearly referring to Christ.

All that aside, as someone said, there are many times in Scripture where it is made clear that the wicked will influence the Righteous more than the Righteous influence the wicked.

Ask God to get you in the place where you are truly willing to give her up, if God doesn't want you to marry her. And then study Romans 9-11, and also, I would say as well that I don't think based on what I Cor 7:25-40 teaches that anyone should date unless they are considering marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Taff,

God gave this "child" a free will, just like you have and I do. The question is will he, you or I follow what God clearly teaches? Underground clearly understands what God teaches as he quoted it in his original post. Actions truly do have consequences, believe it or not.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Today at 08:01 AM ladylove said this in Post #12

Underground4,

You already know what God says regarding unbelievers and "yoked" to them is not to be done as you already know the Corinthians 2 passage. If you continue in this relationship and marry, you have disobeyed the LORD and have made a spirtual compromise to YOUR detremint. Generally, it is the believer who has the most to loose and "missionary" dating is risky.

As much as you are rationalizing this relationship, you stand the most to loose spiritually. Think long and hard about continuing in spiritual disobedience.

Good luck.

Corinthians is good reading and all, but if you want good advice, you go to the source: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

You call yourself a Christian; what does Christ himself say on the subject?

Upvote 0

Taffsadar

Followerof Quincy
Jan 25, 2003
The land of the free, Sweden
Visit site
✟830.00
Faith
Atheist
Today at 12:08 AM ladylove said this in Post #17

Taff,

God gave this "child" a free will, just like you have and I do. The question is will he, you or I follow what God clearly teaches? Underground clearly understands what God teaches as he quoted it in his original post. Actions truly do have consequences, believe it or not.

Now what if it turned out that Jesus is the work of the devil and judaism still is the true religion? Would god let the child go to hell becuase of a christian parent? I doubt it unless the whole bible is a hoax. The same goes for judaism. Either god is good and doesn't let the child suffer for the faults of one parent or god is an *** that doesn't deserve worship. I will vote for alternative 1.

Upvote 0