• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured My friend has an eating disorder

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Goodbook, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodbook

Goodbook Reading the Bible

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Ita binge eating, i didnt know it was so serious but really dont know what to do, now shes in hospital getting treatment that will hopefully address it after she did some excessive exercise (walked for miles and didnt come home)
    But feel like whatver I say she wont listen cos shes in denial about it.

Her husband said she kept getting up in middle of the night and wanting to go buy chocolate. In her pyjamas. This isnt normal right?! Having 14 fillings is not normal. Constantly talking about food and asking ME what I have for breakfast isnt normal right?
    Going on diets, then never losing weight, going to the gym five times a week and never seeming to lose any weight also..not normal.

I always thought it was something to do with her meds that made her this way, but her eating habits are not right either, she would gobble down her food before ive even ordered mine. We entered a marathon once and she was the slowest one there. She has good intentions but never follows through. Now I feel like a bad friend and even an enabler by not addressing this.

Can you pray someone will lose weight even when she doesnt seem to do anything about it?! Shes a believer but she doesnt go to church, as her husband doesnt. She used to when younger. Ive never judged her for being overweight...but i suppose other people do. Shes not so huge that its terrible but this is a constant battle for her. I dont live with her so dont know her eating habits at home but is it true binge eaters eat at night cos when im out with her she doesnt eat huge amounts and then wonder how she can be so heavy.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Bumble Bee

Bumble Bee Disciplemaker Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+3,644
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Does she open up to you about it at all? It can be a touchy issue. Pray for the Lord to meet her needs, whatever they may be, and be there for her in whatever she needs. I don't think it's bad to pray that someone loses weight, but the root of the issue isn't the weight. It can be a matter of the kind of food eaten rather than the amount, or it could be something to do with other health issues.

3. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Well she talks about her weight a lot but im not the one putting food in her mouth or feeding her. It might be an emotional thing as seem to notice she eats to make herself feel better.

But to an extreme perhaps?

4. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Sweet foods full of sugar? She seems to always always go for cakes. And coffee. She will ask me if i drink coffee despite me never having it with her as dont like it. She will forget and ask me again. If shes ordering a cake shell say can you help me eat it but, im not a fan of cake all the time. But she will order it even when shes on some kind of diet. Or she will rationalise i walked today which means i can eat this cake.

5. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Honestly its much like an alcoholics dependence on alcohol.

6. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I was thinking of visitng her in hospital today but now I just dont want to go. She might use me as a mule to get her unhealthy food.

7. Bumble Bee

+3,644
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    That would be why she isn't losing weight then. Maybe try to meet up places that don't have food?

8. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I cant stop her buying food when shes hungry. We mostly go for walks and then bite to eat, she has never actually invited me over for a dinner at her house.
    I might try, if we going for a walk, just say havea cup of tea at my place before we go so we dont need to stop at a cafe. But think her whole reason is so she can go to this cafe or restaurant or whatever. And she will always want to go round lunch time.

9. The Hammer of Witches

The Hammer of Witches ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

+588
    Protestant
    Single
    Is she a Christian? Get your church leaders in on it, hold an intervention with her husband. Are the doctors warning her? Print off a list of disorders and health issues that result from obesity.

10. Bumble Bee

+3,644
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    People make their own choices. Like I said before, the main thing is to be a support to her and pray for the Lord to touch her wherever she needs.

11. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I thought it was binge eating. Why would someone crave chocolate so much they had to go to the supermarket in the middle of th night? Not normal.

12. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    She doesnt go to my church. They dont know her. Her husband isnt a christian. She used to go when she was younger.

13. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    But i am not sure what she needs. She has parents who love her and a husband.

14. Bumble Bee

+3,644
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    The Lord knows what she needs, though.

15. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Ok well me and my other friend will pray for her again been praying hard out for the past few days.

I will get out some books on how to deal with binge eating disorders from the library. I always thought it was just an effectof being shizoaffective which shes diagnosed with. I dont know seems complicated. She really needs a good nutrionist to have a plan on what to do.

16. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Maybe pray for a good nutritionist? I had one that advised me...most general doctors and psychiatirsts dont seem to know anything about food.

17. Goodbook

+5,049
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Was thinking how overweight the leaders of the last church i attended were. They were big men! I dont know if they could help. I kinda think it must be all those church morning teas and potlucks.

18. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,672
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Be careful of judging her. Many times there are medical problems, or it could be a psychological problem. It could just be that she struggles with sweets! No matter the reason, support her. Perhaps you could stop at your house instead, or find a fun healthy cafe to stop at when you meet up. Be careful not to judge.

19. Kit Sigmon

Kit Sigmon Well-Known Member

+1,268
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Now, you know that you don't have to get it for her.

20. Kit Sigmon

Kit Sigmon Well-Known Member

+1,268
    Christian
    In Relationship
    You can't help, if she's not sincere about waning to change her eating habits/wanting to lose weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.