NYC
✟7,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I have to make a decision about a friend of mine, he is a Methodist and I am a Catholic, and I have always respected his beliefs. The only problems is his stance on Catholics, his father is a pastor and always says I am welcome to their church, no matter what, but he thinks that I should not go to his church and also says that Catholics don’t have much faith in God and labels himself as a Christian and labels me as a Catholic like it’s a bad thing. His family has always respected my beliefs and has never gotten me to convert, but he considers me as a different religion and I don’t “believe in God” and that is absurd. What should I do?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How much does he understand about Catholic belief and practice? For that matter, how well does he understand his own Methodist beliefs? He may genuinely disagree with you about some things, but alternatively he may have some kind of caricature of Catholicism in his head that he disagrees with.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I have to make a decision about a friend of mine, he is a Methodist and I am a Catholic, and I have always respected his beliefs. The only problems is his stance on Catholics, his father is a pastor and always says I am welcome to their church, no matter what, but he thinks that I should not go to his church and also says that Catholics don’t have much faith in God and labels himself as a Christian and labels me as a Catholic like it’s a bad thing. His family has always respected my beliefs and has never gotten me to convert, but he considers me as a different religion and I don’t “believe in God” and that is absurd. What should I do?
Welcome to CF. If you believe that Jesus Christ of Nazareth is your Lord and King then you are a Christian. The denomination you choose to worship your Lord and King is of no consequence. The Father knows the heart and He makes His Home in the believer through His Holy Spirit. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I suggest you and he go to the trouble to write down exactly 1) what each of you believes, 2) what each of you thinks the other believes, 3) trade notes, 4) discuss. In particular, do this concerning the Gospel. It may be long and laborious, but it should help clear up some misunderstandings, and help cement what each one believes. It also bears the risk of causing more of a rift, but that may be a good thing, seeing as how you think you need to make a decision here.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

It is easy to have misconceptions about what another group of people believe, especially if we have limited interacts with them about what they believe. Likewise, we can gain misconceptions by listing to a leader of our group tell us about about what another group believes if the leader of our group has also had limited interactions with the other group, and if we don't interact with another group to find out what they believe because we think that we already know what they believe, then it just perpetuates ignorance. If he is against you attending his church because you are a Catholic, then the chances are pretty good that he has never attended a Catholic church and that he is just repeating what he has been taught. If his father is in favor of you attending his church while he is against it, then it might be good to encourage them to have a discussion about that.

If I were to say that our salvation requires us to choose to obey God's law, then I often get people who respond with verses that speak against earning our salvation as a wage even though I didn't say anything about obeying God's law in order to earn our salvation as a wage, so it is easy to have misconceptions about what a group believes about the role of works and faith in regard to what it means to believe in God. With that being said, two people can both say that they believe in God while having different concepts of the nature or identity of who God is, so there is the issue of whether or not they believe in the same God.

For example, In 1 Peter 1:16, we are told to be holy for God is holy, which is a quote from Leviticus where the God of Israel was giving instructions for how to do that, which includes keeping His Sabbaths holy (Leviticus 19:2-3) or refraining from eating unclean animals (Leviticus 11:44-45), so by following God's instructions for how to be holy as He is holy, we are testifying that the God that we believe in is holy. However, there are Christians who not think that we should obey those instructions, so they live in a way that testifies that the God that they believe in is not holy, but the God of Israel is holy, so the God that they believe in is not the same as the God of Israel. Likewise, by doing good works in obedience to God's law, we are testifying about His goodness, which is why our good works give glory to the Father (Matthew 5:13-16), so again the way that we live testifies about the nature or identify of the God that we believe in. So there is a sense that Methodists do not believe in the same God as Catholics and that neither believes in the same God as the God of Israel, however, there is still a lot of common ground about what we teach about the way that we should live, and to that extent we do believe in the same God.

Reactions: jacobk
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Your on the younger side of life so it's likely both yourself and your friend are still sussing out what you each personally believe, beyond just what you were raised in.

However, for anyone who claims to believe in Christ suggest that anyone - even an avid atheist let alone a Catholic - should avoid church attendance is a very confused person.

Church is exactly where everyone needs to be so they can learn of salvation, at the least, or grow in their faith in some way. Any Christian knows this simple fact.

So I'm going to say beyond only understanding the typical caricature of the Catholic faith and practice, he likely has little faith of his own.

Since this is a friend, I would just talk to him about what you believe as a Catholic. There's nothing wrong with talking to him about your faith. You can even invite him to attend your church with you. That way he can experience a Catholic service himself.

I'm saying this as a protestant btw. It's good for us to understand the various denominations positions - including Catholicism. It helps us learn more.

Reactions: jacobk
Upvote 0

jacobk

Apr 18, 2023
NYC
✟7,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How much does he understand about Catholic belief and practice? For that matter, how well does he understand his own Methodist beliefs? He may genuinely disagree with you about some things, but alternatively he may have some kind of caricature of Catholicism in his head that he disagrees with.
I know his dad didn’t implement that idea, he has had some takes on resurrection and stuff, so I really don’t take it seriously, but recently, he’s been treating me different, I don’t know if it’s because I’m Asian or my beliefs, but I don’t know.

Upvote 0

jacobk

Apr 18, 2023
NYC
✟7,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to CF. If you believe that Jesus Christ of Nazareth is your Lord and King then you are a Christian. The denomination you choose to worship your Lord and King is of no consequence. The Father knows the heart and He makes His Home in the believer through His Holy Spirit. Blessings.
Thank you, his father said that to me too and yes I am new here!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacobk

Apr 18, 2023
NYC
✟7,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I suggest you and he go to the trouble to write down exactly 1) what each of you believes, 2) what each of you thinks the other believes, 3) trade notes, 4) discuss. In particular, do this concerning the Gospel. It may be long and laborious, but it should help clear up some misunderstandings, and help cement what each one believes. It also bears the risk of causing more of a rift, but that may be a good thing, seeing as how you think you need to make a decision here.
I have thought of doing that, but he is believing things from Islam and is at this phase where he doesn’t know what to believe, but I will do it either way.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

jacobk

Apr 18, 2023
NYC
✟7,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

It is easy to have misconceptions about what another group of people believe, especially if we have limited interacts with them about what they believe. Likewise, we can gain misconceptions by listing to a leader of our group tell us about about what another group believes if the leader of our group has also had limited interactions with the other group, and if we don't interact with another group to find out what they believe because we think that we already know what they believe, then it just perpetuates ignorance. If he is against you attending his church because you are a Catholic, then the chances are pretty good that he has never attended a Catholic church and that he is just repeating what he has been taught. If his father is in favor of you attending his church while he is against it, then it might be good to encourage them to have a discussion about that.

If I were to say that our salvation requires us to choose to obey God's law, then I often get people who respond with verses that speak against earning our salvation as a wage even though I didn't say anything about obeying God's law in order to earn our salvation as a wage, so it is easy to have misconceptions about what a group believes about the role of works and faith in regard to what it means to believe in God. With that being said, two people can both say that they believe in God while having different concepts of the nature or identity of who God is, so there is the issue of whether or not they believe in the same God.

For example, In 1 Peter 1:16, we are told to be holy for God is holy, which is a quote from Leviticus where the God of Israel was giving instructions for how to do that, which includes keeping His Sabbaths holy (Leviticus 19:2-3) or refraining from eating unclean animals (Leviticus 11:44-45), so by following God's instructions for how to be holy as He is holy, we are testifying that the God that we believe in is holy. However, there are Christians who not think that we should obey those instructions, so they live in a way that testifies that the God that they believe in is not holy, but the God of Israel is holy, so the God that they believe in is not the same as the God of Israel. Likewise, by doing good works in obedience to God's law, we are testifying about His goodness, which is why our good works give glory to the Father (Matthew 5:13-16), so again the way that we live testifies about the nature or identify of the God that we believe in. So there is a sense that Methodists do not believe in the same God as Catholics and that neither believes in the same God as the God of Israel, however, there is still a lot of common ground about what we teach about the way that we should live, and to that extent we do believe in the same God.
Yes, I agree and I have to tell him that, he made this reference about me and how us Catholics don't fully believe in god.

Upvote 0

jacobk

Apr 18, 2023
NYC
✟7,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am always amused when members of a faith group formed in 1735 think they know more about being Christian than one formed in 33 A.D. Your friend is ill-informed. I would pay them no mind.
Yeah, I obviously won’t say that, but the irony.

Upvote 0

jacobk

Apr 18, 2023
NYC
✟7,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Your on the younger side of life so it's likely both yourself and your friend are still sussing out what you each personally believe, beyond just what you were raised in.

However, for anyone who claims to believe in Christ suggest that anyone - even an avid atheist let alone a Catholic - should avoid church attendance is a very confused person.

Church is exactly where everyone needs to be so they can learn of salvation, at the least, or grow in their faith in some way. Any Christian knows this simple fact.

So I'm going to say beyond only understanding the typical caricature of the Catholic faith and practice, he likely has little faith of his own.

Since this is a friend, I would just talk to him about what you believe as a Catholic. There's nothing wrong with talking to him about your faith. You can even invite him to attend your church with you. That way he can experience a Catholic service himself.

I'm saying this as a protestant btw. It's good for us to understand the various denominations positions - including Catholicism. It helps us learn more.
Thank you, he is losing faith in god because he is learning about Islam beliefs and practices and some Buddhism practice, so he has little faith, his father has much more faith, and me and his dad talk about the differences between them and how my friend is losing faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you, he is losing faith in god because he is learning about Islam beliefs and practices and some Buddhism practice, so he has little faith, his father has much more faith, and me and his dad talk about the differences between them and how my friend is losing faith.

Ahhh .. he's in serious crisis then.

Yeah, ignore any of his quips about what Catholic believe, and just try and keep him as centered on Christ as you can as a friend.

Sounds like you are doing your best already so just continue in that stead and I'll pray for both he and you ..

And I say I will pray for you because, if you're going to be the Christian rock for him in his age group, then you need prayer too because it won't be easy. You should ask others to pray for you too.

If I can give further advice then please tell me, as I am a former Muslim.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have thought of doing that, but he is believing things from Islam and is at this phase where he doesn’t know what to believe, but I will do it either way.

I agree with @Hazelelponi . It sounds like your friend is embarking on some serious spiritual questioning and exploration. Keep your own spiritual foundation strong (through prayer, study, Communion -- whatever keeps you closest to God), and be his friend as best as you can while he goes through this difficult journey.

Some extra study of Christianity might be helpful to you, if you haven't already done this. If your friend really is questioning Christian basics, he may say "Christianity is dumb/wrong because of X and Y", and it's easier if you've already thought about X and Y, so that you're not caught off guard. Your friend's father may be helpful here; your priest may also be a good resource.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are different doctrinal differences .... you could determine what those are and have a discussion about them .... agree to disagree if necessary .... no reason to create strife from either one.

Upvote 0

shaul

Nov 27, 2022
Columbus
✟19,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There unfortunately is a lot of common misconceptions among Protestants about the Catholic Denomination and visa versa. Some of it may be warranted, but much is a carryover from old wounds that go back centuries. Listed below are some of the few sources of modern and recent past contention.

(1) Protestants see the papacy as conspiratorial and corrupt, with no Scriptural merit (this is not entirely true, however). I would have to agree there has been some very corrupt Popes over the years, but Protestant Churches with Ecclesiastical Forms of Government have and do have their fair share as well. Same is true with Independent Churches and clergy.

(2) Protestants do not understand the Co-Mediatrix, Co-redemptrix roles placed upon Mary. They see this as Mary worship, commonly referred to as Mariolatry. Although I tend to agree Catholics place too much emphasis upon Mary, I do not think Protestants hold her in high enough esteem.

Protestants totally reject Mary's virgin birth and argue that puts her on equal footing with Christ. Of course there is no Biblical evidence of Mary's virgin birth or perpetual virginity (It makes the brothers and sister of Jesus very hard to explain). However to bear the Son of God, certainly places her heads and shoulders above all other women. Mary is pretty much the new Eve in the concept of being the mother of all of the children of God. Without her giving birth to Christ, all of us would be without a Savior. Whereas Catholic bestow almost a mini-god role to Mary, Protestants do not typically regard her with the esteem she rightly deserves.

FYI, many take the appellation of Mary as "Mother of God", to make her even above God. I know that is not what Catholic's mean but that is what many Protestants hear.

(3) Protestants do not see the sacraments as part of salvation. Trurth is most Catholics don't either, but they do see them as essential in being set apart to God. Protestants should re-visit the meaning of the sacraments and how they should be applied, IMHO.

(4) Protestants do not see the Priests as closely aligned as an intercessor between themselves and God as do Catholics. It is more of a misunderstanding here I believe than an open hostility. Protestants usually see their Pastor or Minister as their best intercessors on this earth between themselves and God.

This is especially true in relation to the confessional. I really think this too is mostly misunderstood. The priest is not forgiving sin, he is attempting to make sure the sinner is held responsible and pennant for their sins and seeks to reconcile them to God. This is totally misunderstood by most Protestants.

(5) The celibacy requirement of the Priesthood is another sticking point to Protestants. The Catholic Church is beginning to see this as a grave mistake. The Church is taking in Anglican Priest and they do not require them to become celibate. Paul in his Epistle to Corinthians, did promote celibacy, but did not make it a requirement for service in the Bishopric.

If you both could sit down and discuss openly the differences, perhaps that would help. Catholics are Christians if they have confessed their sins and look to Christ as the one who can forgive their sins and that he alone is their redeemer, same as Protestants. I don't agree with many of the Catholic Dogmas and Theology, but neither do I believe in many of the Protestant Doctrines and dogmas either. That's not unusual. If people would look at the early Christian Church from Acts on, they would see theological disagreements were not uncommon.

Truly hope this helps both of you.

Upvote 0