Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I finally found a house church fellowship after months of searching and thought I would post here about the experience.

I arrived a few minutes before things were to kick off. There were groups of people, young and old, fellowshipping and relaxing. I got to meet a large number of the membership there. The teaching was done in the living room with roughly 45 in attendance. I was later told that the group is about to split as it's getting over crowded now. Many people got a chance to speak during the teaching and provide insight on how they viewed the topic at hand and it's relevance to us.

There were no songs sung at this meeting, I was told all 5 member house groups meet Sunday afternoon and that is a time for song and stuff. They had some drinks available for consumption. The mood was light and rather upbeat. Many people came from different theological and denominational backgrounds and I think it was a pleasant experience.

Someone very close to me though was very upset I went, and even more so when I explained how it all went down. I pray they are not going to take their angst further, but I know I should continue with this fellowship for the time being.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I finally found a house church fellowship after months of searching and thought I would post here about the experience.

I arrived a few minutes before things were to kick off. There were groups of people, young and old, fellowshipping and relaxing. I got to meet a large number of the membership there. The teaching was done in the living room with roughly 45 in attendance. I was later told that the group is about to split as it's getting over crowded now. Many people got a chance to speak during the teaching and provide insight on how they viewed the topic at hand and it's relevance to us.

There were no songs sung at this meeting, I was told all 5 member house groups meet Sunday afternoon and that is a time for song and stuff. They had some drinks available for consumption. The mood was light and rather upbeat. Many people came from different theological and denominational backgrounds and I think it was a pleasant experience.

Someone very close to me though was very upset I went, and even more so when I explained how it all went down. I pray they are not going to take their angst further, but I know I should continue with this fellowship for the time being.

what sort of numbers attended..approx.?

and i find lack of singing disappointing in any gathering to the lord.

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, having someone who can play guitar and lead the singing is a real blessing. You can do it a capella but it just isn't the same.

Over the centuries there have been groups who taught that there should be no singing in worship services. It wasn't biblical.

I would be very sad if I ware part of such a group.

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am curious what the angst was about -- not coming under a high-church authority?

I've seen this.

In my younger days I was more or less committed to this one fellowship, but occasionally I would go with friends to other fellowships in the area and be blessed by their ministry.

Sometimes when I returned to my "home" church I would get questions and funny looks, with people asking my why I would ever want to go to one of "those" churches.

I've always understood that God created all kinds of different people, with all kinds of different temperaments. Some of those people are genuinely blessed by the ideas of the majesty of God, and truly enjoy the high, liturgical churches. Other people are highly emotional, and enjoy an emotionally charged worship service.

I've always felt that we are all saved by the same Gospel, but just because someone doesn't worship the same way I do doesn't mean that they are wrong. Many members, but ONE Body. I find that, while I have my preferences, I can enjoy just about any type of service that worships and honors Jesus. In small doses. lol

Other feel that they are right, and their way is the only way. That's the attitude that lead a bunch of people to get on a boat back in 1620. That same attitude causes some to shun automobiles and electricity.

I don't know about any of that, I just know that I need my car to get to work, my air conditioner runs on electricity and I like having an air conditioner, and I had my fill of long boat rides when I was in the Navy.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
what sort of numbers attended..approx.?

and i find lack of singing disappointing in any gathering to the lord.

Sunday meetings we sing... Thursday meetings are for teaching and fellowship... Each meeting so far has been different. It doesn't bother me. It's very refreshing. :)

Reactions: jannikitty
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm looking for a home fellowship in Upland, California if anyone knows one or how to find one

I looked for one for many months and finally one day just typed "house church" in a google search with no other variables and the first listing was the one I go to now.

You can always do what I did in the mean time while searching. Host a home church. I had many times where it was just me, but I used that time to pray and study the scriptures. Perhaps you do that every night and day, well then just tell the Lord until He leads you elsewhere you are where He wants you and ask Him to allow you to grow in Him where you are. Those alone times are often times most meant for us to grow in intimacy with Jesus and prepping for ministry.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow. 40 is HUGE for a home gathering. We used to try to multiply when the fellowship got over 12 or so.

Yeah, the leadership of the gathering is talking about very soon after the new year possibly splitting the adult gathering into 2 seperate ones. You see the network we are in has 4 college home churches and only 1 for older generations. Well the older gathering is splitting soon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the lead Pastor (or whatever his office is) of the house church network I attend wants to meet me tomorrow (12/18) in regards to a possible opening in the church for teachers. I'm super excited about this and nervous. Please keep me in your prayers.

I have a couple views on matters that will probably preclude me from being able to teach and that worries me. But I can not violate my conscience. I want God's will to be done.

Upvote 0

Stefos

Aug 31, 2013
✟8,258.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Hi ByTheSpirit,

May I suggest something to you?

Please Please PLEASE,

Make sure that this man/woman or husband & wife couple are NOT the sole people "in charge."

If there is no plurality of elders, you'll be back in the "Pastor lead" church model......which according to scripture, is the incorrect church governmental model.

Also, You might be elevated just like the "Head, Lead or Senior Pastor" and not take any other ministry of the Holy Spirit into consideration and become puffed up!

Take heed brother! You've been warned by the Lord through me.

God bless you as you follow Jesus according to the written word.
Stefos

P.S. I WILL pray for you by the way

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi ByTheSpirit,

May I suggest something to you?

Please Please PLEASE,

Make sure that this man/woman or husband & wife couple are NOT the sole people "in charge."

If there is no plurality of elders, you'll be back in the "Pastor lead" church model......which according to scripture, is the incorrect church governmental model.

Also, You might be elevated just like the "Head, Lead or Senior Pastor" and not take any other ministry of the Holy Spirit into consideration and become puffed up!

Take heed brother! You've been warned by the Lord through me.

God bless you as you follow Jesus according to the written word.
Stefos

P.S. I WILL pray for you by the way

No he's not, but thanks for your concern. Actually I wouldnt even have known he was the "founding" member if he hadn't of told me when he invited me to speak with him. He doesn't teach ever from what I've seen, that is done by different site pastors and even others... It's been a good time.

Upvote 0