My Family is Planning on Going to my Church...

ShadowInTheLight

Aug 2, 2016
United States
Visit site
✟16,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
...and I'm not sure how that is going to go.

First thing you should know, my family is non-religious. Pretty much all of them. Everyone in my immediate family (mom, dad, brothers, sisters). I used to have to get rides to go to church in the past; I drive myself, go all by myself, and consider what to participate in pretty much without my parents being involved at all nowadays. I also still live at home.

This year, I decided to take part in a Christmas play. Already a little anxious about that (I have a lot of anxiety about sharing my faith), my mother ended up asking me if everyone could go and see it.

Thing is, I'm super worried that they won't like my church. Now, I've been scared that they wouldn't like my faith either, but that's turned out to be a promising ordeal :oldthumbsup:(and as an added note, my brother will be attending a youth service for the first time in his life [for a reason unrelated to God, but nonetheless...:clap:]).

The only reason I hadn't invited them sooner is because I myself wasn't sure for a while if this was the right church for me (for reasons unknown to them, because I didn't want it to sound like I was in some low-key cult [which was already a topic that came up this year, as frustrating as it is. Not because of my church, but because of a disagreement over the definition of a "cult":sigh:]).

:help:

I guess my issue is that I can't stop catastrophizing.:sweatsmile:

extra info:
~I've only been officially "out" as a Christian for a few months.
~The issues I was having with my church were theological, so I won't get in to depth here about it. I'm still struggling to understand it exactly, and I'm not sure what the change means.
~I want to be baptized and aforementioned issues are what has been causing an avoidance, I'm hoping this play will convince me I can tell my family I want to (I just would rather them not think it's a bad church [it's not]).

Thanks in advance!

• Friendly
Reactions: vinsight4u

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, it looks like you're going to have to bite the bullet and put your full trust in the Lord! It all sounds like a wonderful Christmas miracle to me, tbh. What's the worst that can happen? You will work out any wrinkles that come up with your family, church and God. Relax and enjoy it all! You can be open with God, church and family about your feelings, you don't have to be perfect for anybody :twohearts:

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...and I'm not sure how that is going to go.

First thing you should know, my family is non-religious. Pretty much all of them. Everyone in my immediate family (mom, dad, brothers, sisters). I used to have to get rides to go to church in the past; I drive myself, go all by myself, and consider what to participate in pretty much without my parents being involved at all nowadays. I also still live at home.

This year, I decided to take part in a Christmas play. Already a little anxious about that (I have a lot of anxiety about sharing my faith), my mother ended up asking me if everyone could go and see it.

Thing is, I'm super worried that they won't like my church. Now, I've been scared that they wouldn't like my faith either, but that's turned out to be a promising ordeal :oldthumbsup:(and as an added note, my brother will be attending a youth service for the first time in his life [for a reason unrelated to God, but nonetheless...:clap:]).

The only reason I hadn't invited them sooner is because I myself wasn't sure for a while if this was the right church for me (for reasons unknown to them, because I didn't want it to sound like I was in some low-key cult [which was already a topic that came up this year, as frustrating as it is. Not because of my church, but because of a disagreement over the definition of a "cult":sigh:]).

:help:

I guess my issue is that I can't stop catastrophizing.:sweatsmile:

extra info:
~I've only been officially "out" as a Christian for a few months.
~The issues I was having with my church were theological, so I won't get in to depth here about it. I'm still struggling to understand it exactly, and I'm not sure what the change means.
~I want to be baptized and aforementioned issues are what has been causing an avoidance, I'm hoping this play will convince me I can tell my family I want to (I just would rather them not think it's a bad church [it's not]).

Thanks in advance!

Always tough with family! Appreciate your heart for God and for your family, and your faith. I think the best thing anyone can do in this sort of situation is to be consistent in your faith, and not be too pushy with family. They’ll see the Jesus in you over time, even though that might not always be obvious to you.
Apart from that, I’d just say get lots of people praying about the situation, your posting here is a great start.

God bless!

Tom

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"My Family is Planning on Going to my Church..."

Why is it a problem?

Is your church into strange rites, chanting or singing atonal tunes?

They may not be used to attending church and if going to watch a play even if you're in ahighly ritualistic church there shouldn't be anything that will freak them out.

You could try asking them what they expect to see etc.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As long as your Pastor/church preach God's Holy Word and not their own ideas about things (leave your Bibles at home type) they can only be blessed by a visit even if they rush out in contempt.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's understandable that you'd be worried in this situation, but the invitation has been extended and the family is planning on going. All you can do is make their first experience be about the play and your performance. And you cannot control whatever they observe in the other people or the building, or whatever goes along with the play.

If it were me, I would try to keep the conversation that will probably follow their visit lighthearted and centered on the play itself and not let anything turn towards the church's theology, etc. If they are somehow made favorable to the idea of church attendance because of this, of course that would be different, but it is still a first contact for them.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I can see why you would be worried after coming out as a Christian only a few months ago.

You are probably feeling all the feelings that are absolutely normal to feel at this time.

I think this is a great opportunity for them to hear about Christ without you having to share your testimony and this is a really good thing. I'm sure everyone will enjoy themselves and this is overall very positive.

God is working. Try to rest in faith that this will be a good experience for everyone. Just be very gracious and happy they are there and don't let other things get in the way of letting this nice thing happen and be positive. Avoid in depth conversation about the experience and if anyone is negative just thank them for showing up to support you. Don't let it become derailed. Keep it all happy and positive.

*big hug*

Upvote 0

ShadowInTheLight

Aug 2, 2016
United States
Visit site
✟16,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh, it looks like you're going to have to bite the bullet and put your full trust in the Lord! It all sounds like a wonderful Christmas miracle to me, tbh. What's the worst that can happen? You will work out any wrinkles that come up with your family, church and God. Relax and enjoy it all! You can be open with God, church and family about your feelings, you don't have to be perfect for anybody :twohearts:
Thank you for the encouragement. I really appreciate it! You're right, what's the worst that can happen? :)

Upvote 0

ShadowInTheLight

Aug 2, 2016
United States
Visit site
✟16,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"My Family is Planning on Going to my Church..."

Why is it a problem?

Is your church into strange rites, chanting or singing atonal tunes?

They may not be used to attending church and if going to watch a play even if you're in ahighly ritualistic church there shouldn't be anything that will freak them out.

You could try asking them what they expect to see etc.
Nah, I'm in a pretty chill Baptist church in the middle of nowhere. We don't do any weird rituals or anything like that, but we do love hymns and good Bible studies. :p

My family just isn't religious, and my mother walked away from churches due to bad experiences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ShadowInTheLight

Aug 2, 2016
United States
Visit site
✟16,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As long as your Pastor/church preach God's Holy Word and not their own ideas about things (leave your Bibles at home type) they can only be blessed by a visit even if they rush out in contempt.
Haha, we love to have the Word out even though it's on the screen too. I think I'll be alright in that way, but who knows how they'll respond too? Thanks for your encouragement!

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nah, I'm in a pretty chill Baptist church in the middle of nowhere. We don't do any weird rituals or anything like that, but we do love hymns and good Bible studies. :p

My family just isn't religious, and my mother walked away from churches due to bad experiences.

Tell them that, if they know in advance what to expect there is less chance they will be weirded out by what you see as 'normal'.

Upvote 0

ShadowInTheLight

Aug 2, 2016
United States
Visit site
✟16,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Update:
The play went well, and everything was okay. Unfortunately, only one of my parents came because the other had surgery. They thought the people were a little weird (not surprising, some of them are hand-raisers, haha!) and made a joke about how I was preaching (I wasn't, I was reciting scripture at the end of the play) during Christmas dinner. I don't think my brother liked it. Oh well.

Upvote 0