My Family aren't Christian (entirely..?)

Neari

Neari
Feb 9, 2017
Earth
✟20,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I'm Neari. I'm only 15, and I love my family so dearly. I grew up sorta Christian, because my sister raised me to believe in God. But without the Bible in my life, I had no knowledge about Christianity. I didn't even know who Jesus was before! But after my Sis started reading the Bible, I did, and that was about a year ago. I'm still getting to know my Savior better day by day, and trying to rid my self of the 'fleshly' ways that I grew up with. Now, to the point of this, my family (besides sis) aren't (entirely) Christian. My brother is a complete atheist. My mom is Buddhist(maybe?). My other sister and my dad are .. Questionably Christian. They never talk about our Savior, or really pray, or read the Bible at all. I love them, so dearly and it pains me to think that they won't go to Heaven if they continue their secular ways. I really want them to be saved, I hate the thought of them in pain.
:-( Especially, I'm concerned about my Dad. He's been coughing soo much, and he refuses to see a doctor. He cruelly jokes about his death, and I just.. Really, really want him to seek Jesus. When he does, I'll be at peaces when he leaves this world in the future. Please pray that their hearts will be opened .. And they will accept Jesus into their lives. Thank you. ♥

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I'm Neari. I'm only 15, and I love my family so dearly. I grew up sorta Christian, because my sister raised me to believe in God. But without the Bible in my life, I had no knowledge about Christianity. I didn't even know who Jesus was before! But after my Sis started reading the Bible, I did, and that was about a year ago. I'm still getting to know my Savior better day by day, and trying to rid my self of the 'fleshly' ways that I grew up with. Now, to the point of this, my family (besides sis) aren't (entirely) Christian. My brother is a complete atheist. My mom is Buddhist(maybe?). My other sister and my dad are .. Questionably Christian. They never talk about our Savior, or really pray, or read the Bible at all. I love them, so dearly and it pains me to think that they won't go to Heaven if they continue their secular ways. I really want them to be saved, I hate the thought of them in pain.
:-( Especially, I'm concerned about my Dad. He's been coughing soo much, and he refuses to see a doctor. He cruelly jokes about his death, and I just.. Really, really want him to seek Jesus. When he does, I'll be at peaces when he leaves this world in the future. Please pray that their hearts will be opened .. And they will accept Jesus into their lives. Thank you. ♥

Honestly, to be frank, I'm surprised that you and your sister are still strongly Christian if you're the only ones of your family who's read the Bible—it seems like reading the Bible turns many away from Christianity or gives them strong doubts (myself included). I wonder, have you only read the New Testament?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God planned each moment.

Upvote 0

Neari

Neari
Feb 9, 2017
Earth
✟20,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Honestly, to be frank, I'm surprised that you and your sister are still strongly Christian if you're the only ones of your family who's read the Bible—it seems like reading the Bible turns many away from Christianity or gives them strong doubts (myself included). I wonder, have you only read the New Testament?
Well I started by reading daily devotional that I would say opened my heart, and as I started to know Him better, and crave Him more, I decided to start the New Testament. (Like a month ago)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for the encouragement! :) I'm so glad our God is so wise that I can barely grasp the entirety of His wisdom!! :purpleheart:

We must think of how things are but God already
decided how things are going to be and built
what we see, based on that.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well I started by reading daily devotional that I would say opened my heart, and as I started to know Him better, and crave Him more, I decided to start the New Testament. (Like a month ago)

I'm glad that you feel like it's beneficial to you.

It seems like if you want to keep your faith it's a bad idea to read the Old Testament...

Upvote 0

Neari

Neari
Feb 9, 2017
Earth
✟20,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad that you feel like it's beneficial to you.

It seems like if you want to keep your faith it's a bad idea to read the Old Testament...

I'm sure I will stay faithful to God while reading the Old Testament though. I know it can get pretty violent and confusing and all, but ..I don't know, I'm alright with it. It's kinda hard to explain, but I guess I just keep in my mind that through everything, God has a purpose and a plan. But anyways, why did you feel you lost your faith from reading the Old Testament?

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
—it seems like reading the Bible turns many away from Christianity or gives them strong doubts (myself included). I wonder, have you only read the New Testament?

I would add...we live in a world of 'Sound Bite' knowledge. Getting good at Biblical knowledge takes some effort! Everyone who reads the Bible does indeed run into questions and doubts. Even an 'Easy' book like John has much more to it underneath the surface.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be my pleasure to pray for you and your courage, concern and faith truly inspires me, KEEP IT UP NEARI !!!!

11b8eb0d6640583b642e89db7d0a1ebd.gif

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not everyone is as quick to judge God as you are.
Instead of commending this young woman for finding such a strong faith at a young age, you question her biblical literacy, and strongly imply that had she read the OT, as you have, that she must draw the same conclusion that you have.

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would add...we live in a world of 'Sound Bite' knowledge. Getting good at Biblical knowledge takes some effort! Everyone who reads the Bible does indeed run into questions and doubts. Even an 'Easy' book like John has much more to it underneath the surface.
Maybe it's just me, but I never had any real doubts.
I'm not privy to the whole picture, so I have no right to judge Gods acts as immoral.

I did however have questions, but those questions were never so difficult for me to answer, that my faith struggled.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not everyone is as quick to judge God as you are.
Instead of commending this young woman for finding such a strong faith at a young age, you question her biblical literacy, and strongly imply that had she read the OT, as you have, that she must draw the same conclusion that you have.

My apologies, it's just that so much of the OT especially to me seems so much more like the work of human leaders in a society back then rather than the transcendent views and morals of all-powerful all-knowing God. We're supposed to judge others by their fruits, and the fruits displayed in the Old Testament often seen more like a past culture's means of political gain than anything else. Certainly very far removed from many things Jesus taught.

Upvote 0

zay

praise Him for your testimony!
Sep 12, 2004
NC
✟13,407.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Congratulations on giving your life to Christ! Praying your strength in the Lord that you may continue to seek and trust Him.

One of the most powerful ways to be a witness is to just live and allow your family to see Jesus' impact on your life. Praying for them and trusting God for a testimony about you and your family, that they turn to God and accept Him as Lord and Savior. And that you find a solid support group that nourishes your relationship with God and your family.

• Winner
Reactions: Neari
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My apologies, it's just that so much of the OT especially to me seems so much more like the work of human leaders in a society back then rather than the transcendent views and morals of all-powerful all-knowing God. We're supposed to judge others by their fruits, and the fruits displayed in the Old Testament often seen more like a past culture's means of political gain than anything else. Certainly very far removed from many things Jesus taught.
if the old testament if primarily a means of gaining political prowess, then the new testament is meaningless.

I can see how you would come to that conclusion, however it's not very strong.
The first thing to note about God, is that he finds absolutely no pleasure in killing, or causing any kind of harm to his creation.

The psalms make it clear that God loves, and has compassion on all of his creation. So it's with a heavy heart that he does anything like that, it may seem callous, or uncaring in the scripture, but conveying emotions wasn't really a strong artform back then. It was very much like, telling it like it was, barebones.
The new testament found a more emotional touch, but you get my point.

But God sees the whole picture, we see the foot of the man, while he sees the whole man.
He knows what's right, how to get things done to save his people.
God says Death is an enemy, and is going to be defeated, so he finds no joy, or comfort in it.
It's not a fun thing to do.

As for political gain, literately anybody, can do that, with anything, if they have the tongue for it.
So if it was God, it would have been something else, the Great Rock juju perhaps.
And if I remember correctly God punished Israel, for disobeying his commandments, despite numerous chances.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Hello. I definitely have similar 'Gut Reactions' like you do. I used to embrace the NT, and sort of tip toe away from the OT. Alas becoming good at the Bible simply does not allow such a shortcut so I had to stop. But over the years I came to terms with a lot of perspectives that I didn't have in the beginning. The amount of perspectives that you gain increase over time when you study it. For starters, Jesus does indeed throw some 'Hairy' things out there in case you are all about the 'Turn the other cheek' Jesus. Oh he does have some harsh things to say about the wicked. But Jesus' literal mission, the reason for his birth, was to become the fulfillment of the OT, he was the promised 'Suffering Messiah' that was to turn the other cheek and bare the sins of many in order to save them.

Read Isaiah 52:13 through the end of Isaiah 53. Interesting little tid bit, for awhile before Jesus, Jewish literature documents that Jewish religious leaders were actually confused about these 'Suffering Messiah' passages...for the most part they just embraced the 'Conquering Messiah' passages, but they didn't know what to make of the suffering Messiah passages. Jesus was both however, the conquering Messiah is not yet fulfilled. Even Peter didn't get it, he argued with Jesus when Jesus told him that he must suffer & die. Isaiah was written hundreds of years before Jesus, some Christians have printed out Isaiah 52:13 through Isaiah 53:12 and then handed it to various non-religious people and asked them who it was referring to, people almost always say Jesus.

Another perspective to realize, the Bible REPORTS many things but it doesn't mean that it is 'Teaching' those things. Yes God is an all knowing all powerful God, but he was working with complete fools. The Jews literally watched God part the sea for Moses, yet they couldn't even wait for Moses to come back down from the mountain before they were worshiping a golden calf (just an example of how obtuse they were). They constantly fell into idolatry all throughout the OT.

Another perspective, think about the whole world as if it was the largest football stadium in the world, that seats about 100,000 people. In OT times, the Jewish nation must have represented one bathroom in that stadium. The OT, and the Jewish people, were literally an unfolding mission. It was God selecting a chosen group of people to become a light to the rest of the world in order to eventually reveal to the world who the true God was. The Jews were literally considered to be 'A Kingdom of Priests.' But remember what I said, how the Jews were complete fools?? Herein lies the problem! Think about the responsibility you have if you become a Navy Seal? Think about how much leisure & easiness you give up for such a strict lifestyle! Navy Seals literally go through torture training for one example (many will make the argument that waterboarding is torture)...compare that to our easy lives.

Anyway, when you read through these STRICT law codes for the Jews in the OT days, always try to keep something in perspective, the OT Jews were 'A Kingdom of Priests' who's purpose was to 'Be a light to the nations of the world about the identity of the true God!' If you think being a Navy Seal puts extreme pressure on a person, how much more pressure is being the light of God to the rest of the world?? That's why the punishments and laws were so insanely strict...yet you literally have parts of the Bible that flat out tell you that no human is good enough to live by that strict law code! So people in the OT were executed at times over a law code that seemed way over the top, than later on the Bible itself admits that 'The Law' is too strict for any person (other than Jesus) to fully obey it (and Jesus forgave people from it). Why?? It's because of how VERY VERY high the bar was set for OT Jews being a Kingdom of Priests to the nations of the world.

Another perspective, God takes EVERYONE"S life! If you die of old age at 97...God just took your life. The unfolding mission of the Bible is to lead people to the gift of eternal life. But countless people have cursed God their entire lives over the fact that people unnecessarily died too young.

Another perspective, one thing I always talk about, is how the 'Purely Nice God' makes no sense. Everyone must look at reality and make sense out of it. I literally stop watching the news sometimes for weeks because reality is so evil and depressing. But I know lots of people who say "I hate the OT God, 'MY God' would never do that stuff!!" So then I look at the OT and say "Ugh, this kind of looks like a snapshot of 'Ugly' reality!" And maybe you don't like the way God in the OT is handling reality, but the thing is is that it looks an awful lot like those jaw dropping news stories that I watch. This 'Purely Nice God' that people seem to believe in doesn't fit the picture of the world (reality). It's one thing for someone to slam their fist on the table at the fact that the God of the Bible will allow a serial child rapist to run wild without striking him down instantly...but it seems to me more baffling how the 'Purely Nice God' could possibly exist with serial child rapists running wild?? Granted the answer the Bible gives for such a reality might not satisfy you one bit, but it does give answers for it. Conversely there is no logical answer if you believe in the 'Purely Nice God.' I believe that last time I referred to it in another forum I referred to it as the 'Hugs & Puppies God.'

I'm just spit balling ideas off the top of my head, but the more I thought about things the more I thought about the big picture. You had said in the beginning that the OT just seems like past cultures trying to attain political gains, to which I said just because the Bible reports this madness doesn't mean it condones it. Think about all the characters in the Bible. Now, who are said to have been the GREATEST of men (other than Jesus of course)? Samuel. John the Baptist. Joseph. They were the most peaceful of the bunch! They were the most Christ like!!! People like Samuel, John the Baptist, and Joseph were some examples of the best. So remember that when the Bible records appalling things such as things Sampson did, it is not putting the stamp of approval on it it is just reporting it.

Also remember, the Bible is insanely brief for how many years it covers. And, what is it's purpose? Well one of it's purposes is to document the depravity of the human race. So another thing to keep in perspective is that the stories it records might very well be the worst of the worst!!! I'm just speculating but maybe it sounds more blood thirsty than it actually was because it hand selected those stories that teaches human depravity in the most convincing ways?? Just a theory of mine.

I'll just expand on my theory here...suppose I had to write a book covering the complete history of human depravity. And I wrote the book and chapter 1 was Jack The Ripper. Chapter 2 was Charles Manson. And Chapter 3 was Jeffery Dahmer. If you read my book your head might start spinning at THE LEVEL of how sick & twisted it is!!! Similar to the reaction you get when you read the OT. But what if you took a moment to realize that it might not be as bad as you think considering the fact that I am literally hand selecting the absolute worst of the worst stories on purpose in order to teach a lesson?? So maybe it sounds worse than it really is! Again just a theory of mine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neari

Neari
Feb 9, 2017
Earth
✟20,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would be my pleasure to pray for you and your courage, concern and faith truly inspires me, KEEP IT UP NEARI !!!!

11b8eb0d6640583b642e89db7d0a1ebd.gif
Thank you ,your encouragement means so much to me! I can't thank you enough, may God bless you and your loved ones as well. :sparklingheart:

Upvote 0

Neari

Neari
Feb 9, 2017
Earth
✟20,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Congratulations on giving your life to Christ! Praying your strength in the Lord that you may continue to seek and trust Him.

One of the most powerful ways to be a witness is to just live and allow your family to see Jesus' impact on your life. Praying for them and trusting God for a testimony about you and your family, that they turn to God and accept Him as Lord and Savior. And that you find a solid support group that nourishes your relationship with God and your family.
Thank you! :sparklingheart: I pray that one day, when I'm ready, I will find a firm support group, that would really help me be more confident ~ I guess all I really have at this moment is my sister. But that's a whole different story, so thank you, so much, for the support! :twohearts:

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,016.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

You're quite young, and a new Christian to boot, so you've got an uphill battle with your family.

At this point, I'd mainly be concerned about your own walk with Christ. In the long run, the most effective witness to Chris that your family will see is you, if I'm goint to be blunt. In your family, you (and to some extent your sister) represent Christ. So what they see in you will be how they see Christ and Christian faith.

Finally, tough as this is, you're not responsible for their choices. You can only do what you can. If they refuse to admit Christ into their lives, then that's their decision, not yours.

But ... as I said, the closest thing they've got to a living testimony will be you. So I think you need to ensure you're walking closelty with Christ. As He changes you (it's a two way deal t though - you have to coooperate), they'll notice. And might, just might, take the obvious step.

Upvote 0