• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My driving mistakes scare me so much, and my OCD doesn't help!

Sune

Oct 13, 2020
Australia
✟28,117.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
So lately all of my compulsive thinking and anxiety and checking has been about my driving. Today I think I might have cut in front of a cyclist by accident!

I even came back shortly after, but the cyclist had moved on somewhere.

They were going down a hill quite fast, near the speed limit and I tried to overtake. I've been anxious about overtaking lately, and was trying to make sure I saw them in my rear view mirror before moving back in the lane. I moved past them slightly and tried to see them in my mirror, I can't remember how well I saw them in my side mirror, but I remember not seeing them in center mirror and thinking that maybe I was too far right to see them properly and moved a little back into the lane. Suddenly I saw them in the center mirror so I moved back in the lane and continued. I think they were cycling normally behind me.

But in hindsight I suspect I might have accidentally moved too quickly and they braked to let me in. I didn't hear anything, though I had music on and I was exhausted. I was focusing on my center rather than my side mirror.

There is a small black smudge and scratch on my car, but it's too low for a handle bar and I think that was when I swung my bag against my car by accident. I really hope I didn't force them to brake or clip them.

I'm really anxious about this but I have no way of knowing. I live in a small town, but I have no idea who the cyclist was and feel horrible for not thinking it through properly before moving back into the lane. I can only pray that I gave a wider berth than I fear I did.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So lately all of my compulsive thinking and anxiety and checking has been about my driving. Today I think I might have cut in front of a cyclist by accident!

I even came back shortly after, but the cyclist had moved on somewhere.

They were going down a hill quite fast, near the speed limit and I tried to overtake. I've been anxious about overtaking lately, and was trying to make sure I saw them in my rear view mirror before moving back in the lane. I moved past them slightly and tried to see them in my mirror, I can't remember how well I saw them in my side mirror, but I remember not seeing them in center mirror and thinking that maybe I was too far right to see them properly and moved a little back into the lane. Suddenly I saw them in the center mirror so I moved back in the lane and continued. I think they were cycling normally behind me.

But in hindsight I suspect I might have accidentally moved too quickly and they braked to let me in. I didn't hear anything, though I had music on and I was exhausted. I was focusing on my center rather than my side mirror.

There is a small black smudge and scratch on my car, but it's too low for a handle bar and I think that was when I swung my bag against my car by accident. I really hope I didn't force them to brake or clip them.

I'm really anxious about this but I have no way of knowing. I live in a small town, but I have no idea who the cyclist was and feel horrible for not thinking it through properly before moving back into the lane. I can only pray that I gave a wider berth than I fear I did.
Welcome to CF.
Call the police and see if a hit and run was reported. It sounds like you fear the worst. It will be alright. This is the right thing to do as well as give you peace of mind.
Blessings.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sune
Upvote 0

Sune

Oct 13, 2020
Australia
✟28,117.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to CF.
Call the police and see if a hit and run was reported. It sounds like you fear the worst. It will be alright. This is the right thing to do as well as give you peace of mind.
Blessings.
The tricky thing is that I'm in Japan and my Japanese is limited. I think I will keep an ear out just in case, but since I think they were cycling as normal and didn't seem to hit them (they weren't swerving noticeably or anything when I saw them in the center mirror) there wouldn't be a point to call the police. Though if anyone does come looking I will of course tell the truth. The car who came after me would also have seen what happened and they didn't signal me at all, so I think I'm ok. I hope so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0