• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

my dog died today. i can't stop crying.

Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
My yellow lab just died in March and today i had to euthanize my chocolate lab.

Before i was diagnosed and on meds, there were times when i came close to suicide....would get past that point of thinking how it would affect my family....believing they'd be better off without me etc. But the one thing that would always stop me from doing it would be my dogs....i worried about abandoning them.....worried how no one would be able to care of them after i'm gone.

These were my first and only dogs...had them for 13 yrs. I was particularly close to my chocolate lab chewbacca. He was a big mama's boy----he couldn't be more than 2 feet away from me for more than 2 seconds. He was 100 lbs, but he was under the impression that he was a lap dog and laid over half my body when i was on the couch watching movies. Kept me warm on cold nights. Such a comfort they were to me when i was in the depths of depression. i feel so alone now. What will i do now without my Chewy? I wish i could stop crying. i hate to cry. i don't want to feel anything anymore.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AWE I'm a cat lover but my dog named astro died and he was only three. God gives you the desires of your heart so in Heaven these pets are there but, I understand the pain.

Sorry to hear about your dog. When we love we feel loss at our loved ones departure from here, it is completely normal to grief your dog.:hug:

We lost our Saint Barnard 12 or more years ago, but he still comes up in our conversations, we still miss him at times, he was such a loved dog.

God's love will turn it for good

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
AWE I'm a cat lover but my dog named astro died and he was only three. God gives you the desires of your heart so in Heaven these pets are there but, I understand the pain.

I love cats too. I have 5 of them. All rescues. One of them, "Calamity Jane", became very attached to Chewy and used to nurse from him when she was a kitten. He had no idea what she was doing, but took it like a man. As she grew, she followed him everywhere, rubbed against him continuously, kneaded on his poor giant head at night, power-groomed him constantly, snuggled and slept with him all the time. Whenever i gave him a shower, she'd go crazy meowing.... thinking he was drowning....she'd even risk herself getting wet and would frantically lick the water off him. It was so funny. She loved him so much.

After i came home from the vet without him, she kept looking for him and meowing around the house. She finally dug into my bag and found his collar and just kept sniffing it. She was his girlfriend....or so she claimed. He was her prisoner of love. Now she's sleeping on his bed. It just breaks my heart.

I really do hope i'll see all my pets in heaven someday.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry to hear about your dog. When we love we feel loss at our loved ones departure from here, it is completely normal to grief your dog.:hug:

We lost our Saint Barnard 12 or more years ago, but he still comes up in our conversations, we still miss him at times, he was such a loved dog.

God's love will turn it for good

Thanx jeshu.
It's hard cause i just lost my other dog a few months back. Chewy was a comfort to me when i lost her so it lessened the blow a little. But with him dying so suddenly and unexpectedly makes it really painful especially since we were particularly close. They were such faithful dogs and a great comfort to my life. I don't know how i'll ever get used to sleeping without him. I never had dogs till i got them 13 yrs. ago and i never knew how much of a bond could form between us. Such unconditional love and faithfulness.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I definitely know how you feel. I had to do the same thing with my first dog, years ago. Go ahead and cry. You are feeling really tough emotions.

After you get that out of your system, I suggest you visit your local animal shelter and see if there are any pups that need a good home. Give yourself time to grieve, but then realize there are some great pups in animal shelters. I got my Shiba Inu from a shelter. He's like your lab, always following me, and sitting on my lap, though he only weighs 25 pounds.

The world needs more pet parents like you. If you're not ready to adopt a dog just yet, see if there are any volunteer opportunities at the shelter.

God bless.

Upvote 0

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm so sorry you lost your loving family member. I believe pets are family, too. Right now I am grieving, too, so I realize how hard this is. You are not alone. Jesus is with you and carrying you now. He will always be there for you. Did you have a funeral for your dog? I had them for a few pets. I put on soft music and had a friend over and we talked about my pet the whole time. This was good for me but really I know how much it hurts and am so sorry you have to go through this dear. You will make it through. A few mos after my pet died I got another one. It did not take away the grief completely for our pets can't be replaced but having a new one kept me busy training him. Crying is actually good for us, it's a good thing to do. Please also be kind to yourself and give yourself credit for all that you can do at this time to be kind to you. God bless you always.

Upvote 0

JadeStarr

Sep 15, 2012
✟7,642.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry for your loss.I know exactly how you feel. My beloved Pookie (a beautiful Spitz mix) passed 7/12/12. If he would have lived 4 more days he would have been 15 yrs old.One day Pookie layed under the table.He had the saddest look on his face.I said whats wrong baby. Don't feel good come on.Give me kisses.He wouldn't kiss me.So i pulled him from under the table and picked him up...he let out a loud cry and peed on my arm..then I'm like mama somethings wrong with Pookie.She lets him outside.It starts raining and Pookie just lies there..He hates the rain because he doesn't like getting his feet wet.We take him to the emergency vet.It turns out he has a huge tumor on his spleen.We had to put him down that day.I felt my heart rip apart.I still do sometimes.We got another dog.His name is Cole aka Chewy.He is a hound dog.He's beautiful.He's sweet and nice.But, he's not Pookie.Pookie slept in the bed in my arm every night all night.Cole sleeps under the bed.It's 2 months later and I still cry for Pookie.I wish I had a dog that would sleep in my arms.I feel so lonely.I have been able slowly to get Cole to actually sleep on the bed..not necessarily with me in my arms.Which helps some.Give it a few weeks and get another dog.But, be careful in your decision.Make sure it has the personality you are looking for and not just go by looks. Don't try to get a dog that looks like the your baby that passed.It won't make things better because you will want that dog to be just like the one you lost.It will never be.But, it does help to get another dog.But, the pain of your loss takes time.It's been 2 months for me and I still feel it.I thought of Pookie as my baby, my best friend,my family,my everything in the world that mattered to me.But, when I think of him.I think of him without pain and suffering..in the water chasing birds not as prey but as friends playing a game.I think about what Heaven is like for him.It comforts me.Maybe you should do the same.It might help..Again sorry for your loss dear!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Murmur

Thought Criminal
Sep 20, 2004
Albany, OR
✟16,922.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I lost my companion cat, Malachi, about a year ago. He was the only thing keeping me somewhat sane. I cried hysterically for days, and without him, I don't really care what happens to me anymore. I'm a useless bag of bones, and my family is not supportive at all.

Cry as much as you need to. You're in my thoughts.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I lost my companion cat, Malachi, about a year ago. He was the only thing keeping me somewhat sane. I cried hysterically for days, and without him, I don't really care what happens to me anymore. I'm a useless bag of bones, and my family is not supportive at all.

I am so sorry for your loss. Please consider taking all that love you had for Malachi and visit an animal shelter. There are always abandoned kitties in need of love. It's amazing how one little animal can change our lives.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
me too. i just woke up at 10pm....tried to sleep it away. The triggers---up one day, lost the next. wondering what is what....can't discern the fine-line muddles between nature and nurture....the chicken and the egg....how fragile we are, how our environmental changes, both horrific and live-giving, can affect and be affected by our neurons. i have this need to understand it all, but i can't...never will when all we have are mirrors dull and darkly lit...it's why we're tossed back and forth...when we find no anchor and the lies our neurons tell us become logical or how we live...where we live--- in this ball in space, filled with good and bad and gray and static noise we cannot bear.

i can't sleep in my bed anymore because of what is gone... because what is lost to me is no longer there....grieving still that something i once held so much to and counted on as innocence and pure in goodness can be touched by death. We grieve for all the death we see in people's murderous hearts, the way they drown and tear down the other. We do not really want death. we hate it....it is death who is our enemy for having killing so much and taking so much from us even as we read this----whether it was the loss of an innocent creature, or the unkindness of those who are supposed to love us...the death in our words, the death in every cynical quip that grows in cyber space like weeds killing off the young seedling before it even has a chance to sprout. The loneliness of social networks and everywhere we look, the world screams "nihilism". It's a school yard filled with merciless cruelty and despair...everyone blowing out everyone's candle because of the tiny daily death shards lodged in our wandering hearts.....but still we look and want and can't let go of wanting something really living that doesn't last on this earth...NO, we don't really want to die, death is what we hate most...all this putrid dread we see more than others notice. No, death is our enemy but the enemy that still hovers in this mortal sphere...we don't want the empty grave, but we dwell on that corridor; that lonely channel even though everything in our bones scream is the most unnatural....and so we peer over this cliff for only one reason: because we want to escape the death we feel, see, hear and have to carry around like an endless burden...like a robe we'd rather not wear or prefer it would not be a garment of such reality while we nomad through this current existence.

Death means loss...tragic loss. She mourns her cat who was robbed by it, i my dog and all the loss attached to these representatives of the good and living. When my second dog died not long after this one i posted about, it was not just the missing blanket that he was to me that caused me such horrific pain...not just because an innocent thing, pure and good was gone from my side, but it was a reminder of so much loss that came before me and the dreadful fear of what's to come....i.e, the continuation of more losses, the persistent neglect we feel from those who could love us better and how we wish we could just touch the hem of a different robe ...one worn by the man from Galilee---One, who we're told, was untouched by death, or rather, so drenched in it, that despite the blood-sweat on that garden rock, and what he saw inside that poison cup, death could still not pin him down.

Everything around me, every disappointment, every loss, every "what could have been" screams in the wilderness: "is there is only this?!", and yet i also know we were not meant to experience this life in this way....everything is askew and broken...and we bipolars, the broken-spirited, see things, feel things heavier than numb hearts feel. They cloak themselves with words and pontificating lectures, blind in compassion and lost to the very soul of what they even quote and dare to represent. They feel better to feel ripe with rebuke and know nothing of what we suffer and, in so doing, what they think is right, accomplishes the very opposite of their well cited sanctions....they do not know how to hear and listen and learn from the meek, from the last ones in line and thereby, with their absurd rebukes, move to alienate us even further from the very sailor who walks on water defying death at every turn. He dwells in the mouth of the grave…inside the jaw itself so that we would not stumble into it.

and so another arm I have to raise and I’m so weary of lifting….Another shield i must hold up to deflect the foolish mouth and rebuke the rebukers.... And so with them ...even them, who snuff out lights and call us brother, we must contend with and made to feel more alien in this foreign land we never chose to dwell in. Not like this....i won't go out like this. Perhaps it's why all the prophets all seemed a little "off"....tortured by the loss and unfertile hearts and lives they had to watch hurl headlong over cliffs....they walked among throngs of corpses....they screamed for life to come and when the throngs went their own way...when they saw men choose decay and love deceit more than birth...when they watched mankind lay traps with sword in heart spraying daggers with their tongues, they wept and wept and wept for all this wasted loss. They wrestled and lingered longer at the throne waiting for Bethlehem to be born....and so God chose them for their weakness and put a fire in their bellies.... a fire that would not go out till suns stood still and barbarous souls were crushed with mercy and redemption by their maker's broken heart.

We are not prophets chosen as in those ancient days, but we are sometimes seers, blind though we may be...we do not want this pain, this sight, this skewed way of thinking or delusion, but still we’re raw and broken down and it's that weakness that brings us to a crossroad. To look and stretch out in the darkness...fumble even...fall and say there must be air somewhere...light by which to see not: "what could have been" but what "should be" still. Rilke wrote of this. It's sometimes like a cage...like a panther caged, where his vision is like a thousand bars..and behind those bars, no world...a place of ritual-cramped circles in which a mighty will stands paralyzed. Yet though our pacing starts and stops but always starts again as endless bars flicker past our vision, we still want out...not really thru the knife's edge, but through the open door that seems never to open. And so we break and break and ask our maker to bless the broken-hearted and feed us that promised inheritance because, like David, we too wailed and beat our chest at God when only tears were our food and the heavy curtain of the eye lid pressed down too hard to want to go on...and some of us cry out...but God: "who do we have in heaven and earth but you oh lord? To whom shall we turn and follow and find the purpose to awake? To whom shall we go but you? Only you have the words of life....that unspeakable something we want most...the life-blood we were born to have coursing through our veins. And so with this weakened mind, i write this out with tears and a slate in my chest….yet somehow, as i linger, crawl and scratch at that cave wall, a truth is born; A chink of light born out of grief and many sorrows...it is a glimpse that may be gone tomorrow, but somewhere, i hear a vine grow... fruit enough to sustain this waning fig of a heart I have today. And so this odd thing happens: i start to feel somewhere closer to this broken strength born of weakness which the ancients speak of, and i hear ancient words say: come stand at the crossroads and ask which is the good the path...walk on it and live--- though not another soul but i, shall walk beside you.

i remember his words: "come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden and i shall give you rest. Learn from me for i too am lowly of heart...i am meek-made-wise from my humiliation. Help me carry this burden, says he, and yoke yourself to me as we plough through this unfertile field and find peace from such labor whether crops may fail or grow....learn from me and you shall find rest for your souls".

Tonight is resurrection day, but we are here walking around with this dying flesh still and yet somehow a perfect slain lamb is being born within us and it's for the ministry of comfort that we turn this pain and loss and death to words of comfort for those who need to know that once there was a man who bellowed for Lazarus to arise....who wept drops of blood from worry and dread, knowing all the loss, betrayal and death that was to come. It was for our comfort he chose that cup, so that while we carry around the death of christ in our bodies; that death of even the world and from our own festering wounds, we also may carry all those covenants carved into our very bones....a promise to sustain us and comfort others, and in turn, are somehow blessed by the little blessings we could have given them, though we know not how such a crushed and perplexed soul, who dwells often in the moors and death-haunts, could, somehow, be a conduit of peace and hope and God's own calm of holiness that makes the waters still like glass. Man cannot do this, only something other worldly-- outside our lives, outside our neurons and, paradoxically, still within the walls of all this barren land we stand on now.

"He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change His mind; for he is not a man, that he should change His mind....
Sanctify them by the truth; [Prayed Jesus], for your word is truth". (1 Sam 15.29 & John 17.17) and I, the logos was made flesh, to walk among treasured souls in jars of clay so that one day, in them, I would dwell…a hearth found in their troubled minds and like homing pigeons lead them back to Easter morning…to the path east of the tired sun where laws and physics will not bind them anymore.

"At death the world does not alter, but comes to an end. Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death." -Ludwig Wittgenstein-

Hold on with me my brothers and sisters and let us learn to overcome the insurmountable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship

Thank you. i woke up crying when i found your post. i know,,, i really know....it is a grace to find a blessing in your shared wounded heart. You are not useless because i needed to hear someone genuine tell me they understand.

"intra tua vulnera, abscondeme" (within thy wounds, hide me)

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship

my family doesn't support me either...it's why we must forge family wherever we can find it. i do hope there's more than this...i hope we see them again. Wouldn't that be something if we could touch and feel their pleasure somehow somewhere beyond these walls. They would make us laugh again. I'm glad i at least have 5 other cats....strays i found here and there...and i was able to nurse them back from death to life. They all sleep on top of me now and tell me they miss my boy dog too. i'm starting to think there's an invisible neon sign on my door that only stray cats can see that says:
"sucker for strays and the hungry...vacancy always"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship

I am so sorry for your loss. Please consider taking all that love you had for Malachi and visit an animal shelter. There are always abandoned kitties in need of love. It's amazing how one little animal can change our lives.

was that long thing that i wrote ridiculously long and crazy sounding?

Upvote 0

Loven God

Sep 16, 2012
✟15,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I too lost my dog of 12 year this February . It was hard like losing one of my children . Can not bring myself to get another dog . I am sorry you lost your dogs . I just try to remember all they joy Chayann brought to us and how we loved her and thankful for the time God let us have her . It does take time to be able to move on from the sadness . I will be praying for you .

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I too lost my dog of 12 year this February . It was hard like losing one of my children . Can not bring myself to get another dog . I am sorry you lost your dogs . I just try to remember all they joy Chayann brought to us and how we loved her and thankful for the time God let us have her . It does take time to be able to move on from the sadness . I will be praying for you .

Yea, it is very much like losing a child. animals are not human, but they are individual creatures with individual personalities. we raise them as pups, teach them, love them and get the best unconditional love from them any human is even capable of..... i guess that's why it hurts so hard to lose them. They are all different, but all innocent and pure in the same way. Faithfulness is all they know which is why they are such a comfort to us. i too cannot bring myself to getting another one though i still try to help other animals whenever i can. I guess the reason is why is that i don't want to experience that pain again or feel like any other creature could replace him. Perhaps it's because i didn't grow up with dogs and got my two babies as an adult. They were my first and only dogs i've ever been blessed to have. i grew up with cats and cried my heart out when my first one died and today keep ending up with stray ones....perhaps cause there are street cats out there and no stray dogs that i've ever come across...except for the ones that ran off from their homes....i once saved a few from cars by running into the street to stop one from hitting them. i live on super busy street and yea it's risky to do that, but it's just an impulse instinct. i wish there was i shelter near enough for me to get to so i can assist. problem is...i'd end up taking everyone of them home starting with those on death row.....then i'd be that person and get my own reality show. too bad i'm broke and have no money for a sanctuary and a rescue home. i woke up crying again today in my bed because i swore i saw my chewbacca there in his spot...but it was only the body pillow. i have this huge king sized bed i bought so all my pets would have room to sleep with me and now...it's empty. i find myself sleeping on my uncomfortable couch and when i got to the bed....i only linger there for a bit till i start to cry again. his bed was my bed. i guess the back dr. will make more money off me now. my first girl dog lab penelope died exactly on her bday, then poor chewbacca got suddenly sick shortly after and i never found out what caused his sudden loss of his limbs, internal bleeding etc. i had to put him down which crushed me as i watched his head go down, his eyes seeking me out, then go blank. i never should have left his body there. i should have taken it with me and found a place to bury him so i can properly mourn him. i left there just shattered and could think of nothing but to run from such a horrific deed. months have passed and i do like to talk about all the funny things he did and how my cat thought he was her mother and nursed from him every day. She took it hard too and still looks for him. She thinks she's a dog....i'm not kidding. she even does this weird meow bark...i got her at one week and nursed her from a bottle, but she chewy who was always next to me like an umbilical cord imprinted on her so after she'd get her bottle on the couch with me, she'd wobble over to his tummy and nuzzle away. He just let her after giving me that look of "huh?" :confused:....after that he just took it like a man and tolerated her obsession with him. she'd followed him everywhere, snuggled, ate, slept and barked with him. She'd ninja down the door, when he got his shower and would howl like a wild thing...desperately licking off the water off his face and body as the shower rained down on his pouty self. Her name is calamity jane and that was her bill hickock...she had sweet eyes for him she did. Her grief for him kills me though...she pulled out his collar out of my bag with her teeth when i got back from the vet without him and wrapped herself in it...licking it, smelling it and finally sleeping on it. cats usually forget stuff fast....but this one doesn't so i take out his toys and we both snuggle with them. She still sleeps on all his spots....his spot on the couch next to me, his spot on my bed, his spot on his floor bed and the other day while i was showering, it broke me down to pieces when she broke in howling....thinking he was there and instinively liked the water off me since there was no him anymore. How long will this grief continue? will i ever get to sleep on a bed again? :cry:

Upvote 0

Loven God

Sep 16, 2012
✟15,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It sound like you had a wonderful dog , yes you will be able to sleep in your bed again . Just give it all the time you need . There is no time limet on grief . Let it run it's course . You will never forget your dog but one day you will feel a peace in your heart . We had to have ourdog put down too , stayed right by her side the whole time making sure she was never alone , was so hard to do . But did not want to see her suffer at the same time so it had to be done . I will never have another dog again . To heart breating when they have to leave us . I pray you will find your peace soon .

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2011
tri-state NJ/NYC/
✟15,367.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
It sound like you had a wonderful dog , yes you will be able to sleep in your bed again . Just give it all the time you need . There is no time limet on grief . Let it run it's course . You will never forget your dog but one day you will feel a peace in your heart . We had to have ourdog put down too , stayed right by her side the whole time making sure she was never alone , was so hard to do . But did not want to see her suffer at the same time so it had to be done . I will never have another dog again . To heart breating when they have to leave us . I pray you will find your peace soon .

Thank you.

can't wait to kill death with my own bare hands. Do you think we'll ever see them again. If god is real, he will do that for both me and chewy. My girl dog had severe hip dysplasia, arthritis and finally broke her leg from just walking. Turned out, her bones were so brittle and xrays showed she had bone cancer, so though her mind was still in pup happy lab mode, i had to put her down for a broken leg that could not be fixed. i gave her a huge jug of treats before she went down....she went out wagging her tail with a million treats in her mouth...that made her extra happy cause i was really careful with her diet and cooked for them to keep them healthier...so she didn't get junk food ever since it messed with her joints----hence all the tail wagging despite a painful broken ankle.

After penelope died, my mother called me up and told me she had a dream where she saw P run up to her full speed ahead with a big huge branch in her mouth....she then just dropped at my mothers feet...looked at her...picked it up again and took off like lightening. My mother told me that in the dream she somehow knew it was an olive branch, but didn't know why the dog brought her such a branch. I later told her what olive branches represented and so that brought me peace. So thanks for letting me know i will one day find peace. i hope that dream was more than just a dream. :prayer:

Upvote 0