• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

My Discussion With Athiests

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by Al Masihi, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Al Masihi

Al Masihi Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,865
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    Heres my discussion on ex Christian forums with Atheist ex Christians, keep in mind the thread I posted is still recieving new posts:

Theological Discussion

I’m doing my best to answer as many objections as possible, but Athiesm is not something I frequently deal with.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Ecstatic Philosopher! Supporter

+5,167
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I had a short stint on that forum a few years ago; don't be surprised if you feel like you've just been thrown into a "Lion's Den." ^_^

It would probably be helpful for you to keep in mind the overall purpose of that website. It isn't merely to be 'yet another website for atheists.' No, it's a therapy and support site for EX-Christians, and that is a different sort of creature.

• List
  3. Al Masihi

+1,865
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    What do you mean a support sight exactly?

4. Freodin

Freodin Devout believer in a theologically different God

+2,875
    Atheist
    Leaving a religion is very often not easy. Religious groups tend to be very focused on the "in-group"... the people they agree with.
    If you find that you can no longer agree with this group, it can very often result in a loss of most of your personal relationships. It can result in animosity from your former friends, even family.

That's not easy to bear, and people who have done that step, especially if they come from the more fundamentalist versions of their religion, need the support of likeminded folks.

5. 2PhiloVoid

+5,167
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Well, my friend, it means simply that the purpose of that particular website is to be a "safe harbor" for those who are supposedly searching for an EXIT from the Christian faith. Not all there are atheists. Some are pagans, some other than that, although most are atheists and skeptics of some kind or other, many often angry over the negative experiences they feel they've had with "Christianity." A number of them are also articulate and educated, so they feel they know who they are.

So, if you're endeavoring to be helpful there, just keep in mind the nature of the website and don't expect too much in the way of equitable or charitable response toward your faith on their part.

6. Freodin

+2,875
    Atheist
    I like your insinuations regarding the motives and experiences of other people. Way to be classy!

7. 2PhiloVoid

+5,167
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    No, I'm actually conferring first hand testimony told to either me (or to those around them and within) by those in that forum. So, don't judge my assessment of the particular chocolate under discussion until you've tasted that particular brand of chocolate. ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  8. Al Masihi

+1,865
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    Maybe I should exit out of there, I wanted to have some discussions with skeptics to atleast train myself to deal with skeptic objections or test my own knowledge of my faith. And know what are the reasons atheists and skeptic reject Christianity. I would have liked to have an open discussion, I realized many of them have a grudge on Christians and Christianity in general, as you can see how the thread was swarmed as soon as I posted it. Maybe I should just delete my account there.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. 2PhiloVoid

+5,167
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    You do what you feel you're prepared to handle and which you feel led to do, brother. Just be advised that a number of those folks there are also prepared to 'handle' you.

Peace :cool:

10. Al Masihi

+1,865
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    I had difficulty leaving Islam and still have difficulty with it, to the point of there being risk of me being physically detained or hurt. I admit when I first decided to reject Islam, I went to paganism and I held a large animosity towards Muslims and Islam and general, mostly out of personal grudges and things that happened due to how the Sharia law negatively effected my life and that of my family. After I converted to Christianity I learned to separate general doctrinal issues with Islam to my personal issues with it and I learned to not hate Muslims any more, but to reach out to them. And I’m sure I went through and still go through things that are way worse then anyone in that forum. I just hope that they can atleast separate their personal feelings towards Christians and Christianity in general to any doctrinal issues they might have towards it.

11. Freodin

+2,875
    Atheist
    If people tell you that the "supposedly" searching for a exit because they "felt" they had experiences with Christianity... sorry, "Christianity" and thus "felt" that they know who they are... sure, I haven't tasted that chocolade. Sorry... what you feel is supposedly chocolade. I am sure you feel you know.

12. Al Masihi

+1,865
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    I feel somewhat one could say intimidated on that forum, since every one comment I might post seems like it will trigger all members to rant on me about how bad the Bible is or why God is so evil, or etc. Not everyone is like that on the forum, but it’s difficult to have an orderly discussion as a Christian there, it might also explain why there are barley anh Christian forum members there.

13. 2PhiloVoid

+5,167
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Freodin, I get the sense here that you're not really listening to me and are just off-put with me based on what you "think" I'm saying, which kind of surprises me because you're usually more sober than that.

Keep in mind that my assessment of what folks on EX-Christian.net told me (in no uncertain terms) isn't also meant to infer something about atheists here on Christianforums.com, even if there may be an ... occassional ... similarity.

Please, don't be looking for moments to find my hypocrisy. While I'm sure I have them as we all do, this isn't one of them. I am being objective. :cool:

14. Freodin

+2,875
    Atheist
    Some of the "negative consequences" are based on doctrinal issues. Not all, and religious people are humans like all of us. For good or bad.

But I think if you left Islam and experienced negative effects from that... I guess you are not very inclined to having a Muslim lecture you on why you were wrong in your assessment of Islam?

So maybe you can understand why ex-Christians might not be enthusiastic to your trying to "answer their objections".

15. 2PhiloVoid

+5,167
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    And your assessment here isn't far off the mark. There is a reason they have a sub-forum there called "The Lion's Den." I was told by the former 'leader' there, himself, that he intended to make no pretenses to being friendly against those, like myself, who came there as a Christian to seemingly interact in what was supposed to be friendly dialogue.

• List
  16. Freodin

+2,875
    Atheist
    If people told you that in "no uncertain terms"... why do you need to express all that in such "uncertain terms".

No, I don't know this specific forum. I don't know the people there. I am also aware that people fresh from conversion or deconversion are not the most settled minds.

But your post - with all the vague phrases you used - has a definite vibe of "I don't believe what they say." It is very impolite. I can believe that you didn't mean it that way... but it still is.

Just consider if we were talking about new Christians here... who "supposedly" found God, and "felt they knew they were 'Christians' now". Wouldn't be very nice, would it?

17. Al Masihi

+1,865
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    Muslims lecture me every other day on me being a cross worshipper or as they say in Arabic عباد الصليب, being confused, being a mushrik, saying my beliefs make no sense even though I literally explained the entire doctrine and beliefs to them for hours and ask them what is it to them that makes no sense only to have them just close the discussion once they run out of arguments, not to mention the threats of going to hell for being a pagan that I always hear. On top of all that I have to be in constant fear every day of my life of being jailed or detained by the state because I renounced Islam for Christianity, even though I never even chose to be a Muslim or practiced it or even believed in it, I was simply just unlucky enough to be born into a Muslim family, and my crime is that I chose not to follow the same faith. Pretty much no one on that forum has any story to compare to that and yet I repeat I contrast my personal issues with Islam and Muslims to any doctrine issues I have with it, which is why as you can see I’m pretty cold and unemotional when arguing with Muslims here, I make no emotional rants against them about how evil the Quran is or how evil Mohammed is. I simp,y quote sources or respond to there claims.

18. Al Masihi

+1,865
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    That pretty much tells me these people aren’t interested in any sort of dialogue they seem to have an axe to grind with Christianity and Christians. Not to mention there was a forum member who pretty much dismissed the claim of Christians being persecuted and said Christians should stop whining about being persecuted as you pretty much saw and this obviously just straight up got to me and struck me with a special kind of anger that I don’t want to feel again.

19. 2PhiloVoid

+5,167
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Well then, in my estimation, this dialogue is closed for you, because the OP poster, Al Masihi, has indicated exactly the context for the discussion and has provided a link so that you may alleviate yourself of being in the state of 'not knowing' what that website is about. So.......................................................................? Your criticism of me here is being lost on me, I'm sorry to say. And I don't accept it, nor do I think I should. So, maybe get your facts together, then we can talk.

20. 2PhiloVoid

+5,167
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes, that sounds like the usual reaction that those there are more than ready and willing to respond with. Some of them there are all about "striking you with a special kind of anger," because they think they're going to slap a secular hair-lip on you and set you in your place. That's their intention there; and they are allowed MORE than ample freedom in their website, despite some of their supposed forum rules for decorum.

Yes, you may just want to bow out if your intention is to have civil dialogue and you are not prepared to wage a mainly Defensive Dialogue. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List