My dad still doesn't seem to get with god how can i help him to start believing? +

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
My dad once was a believer but then went away once he started smoking he has stopped smoking now how can i help him start believing.
What has smoking got to do with it?

Does he consider himself an intellectual? Ask him about the logic of a universe that begins all by itself.

Upvote 0

scott5626

Oct 9, 2019
Indiana
✟16,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just let me see you live the Christian life. Focus on praying for him and for yourself. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you can make him see. That’s above our pay grade. It takes God to open blinded eyes. Jesus came and preached a perfect word and yet even he was rejected.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My dad once was a believer but then went away once he started smoking he has stopped smoking now how can i help him start believing.

You can't make him believe, but you can help him to believe.
Ask him to attend church with you.
Over Sunday dinner ask him about the sermon.
Questions to ask are:-
Why do you believe that?
What evidence do you have for that belief?
Sites to be very familier with are coldcasechristianity, answersingenesis and creation.com for there many articles about the bible.

Your seeking to put Christianity into practise in your life has tremendous influence on your Father so involve him in it.

Reactions: MomofaDozen
Upvote 0

catch_the_music

May 3, 2018
Denver
✟3,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did your dad have a bad experience with other Christians or church teaching? Did something bad happen to him or someone he loves? Did someone fill him with doubts about the faith? Any of those could be reasons why he walked away from church/faith. People tend to gravitate to the people that love them the most. If people have mostly worldly friends then that has a great influence on them. Pray-Pray-Pray! Pray that more Godly friends will come into his life. Many times music can be a reason for people to turn back to Christ. Does your dad like any Christian groups or hymns? If so, play their music in the background when your dad is around.
For your own encouragement - read the story of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15. God is constantly running after the lost. Luke 15 v 20 reveals that. Pray that your dad would turn and God would run to him!
God Bless! Prayers!

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,516.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Just let me see you live the Christian life. Focus on praying for him and for yourself. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you can make him see. That’s above our pay grade. It takes God to open blinded eyes. Jesus came and preached a perfect word and yet even he was rejected.
I agree with this post, but would add something else. If you can get your dad to tell you why he doesn't believe, that would clue you on something to pray about. In your prayers you could ask for guidance on how to, if you should, broach that topic with him later.

Upvote 0

MomofaDozen

Jul 1, 2018
western North Carolina
✟22,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My father walked away from God when I was 10 years old. Before that, we had had the happiest home I could imagine. My father taught me about Jesus and we loved to discuss scripture together.
But when my Dad became angry with God and felt abandoned by Him in a crisis, everything flipped upside down in our home. My father started drinking, doing drugs, being unfaithful to my mother, etc.
When I was 17, I was born again and embraced Jesus with all my heart. I married the wonderful man who had led me back to God.
I hoped that my Dad would see the joy in my heart and in my siblings who were also turning to Jesus; but he grew more defiant and angry.
After awhile, my sister and I put on our spiritual armor and started praying intently for our father to be saved. We stood in the gap for him and asked God to do whatever was needed to get our father's attention. We asked God not to let anyone die but to do whatever else it took.
Well, things started happening. Near accidents, serious illnesses. My father started realizing that he was mortal. It mellowed him some and we were able to enjoy his company more often.
But it was a serious cancer diagnosis that finally humbled my Dad and caused him to repent---and he repented big. He was really sorry for the thirty years of backsliding. He asked everyone to report to him all the ways he had hurt us so that he could apologize and try to make it right. His contrition was real and it was a dream for us to see him get right with God before he died.
I say all of this to give you hope. Pray for your father. Though he is the one who has to make the choice to humble himself before God, you can ask God to put the truth out in front of him. Ask Jesus to keep the truth popping up in your father's path. Ask the Holy Spirit to open his eyes. Ask God to keep your father alive until he has had every opportunity to see Jesus and to make a good choice. Ask God to keep making you a pure light in your father's life.
Prayer and your love can make a BIG difference.
I hope you'll have good news to report soon!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums