My COVID-19 Challenge

See OP

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Covid 19 is a viral disease that infected another animal species and that has now started to infect ours . The only reason we’re concerned about it is because it infects our species. If a pandemic affected kinorynchs or remipedes you wouldn’t even know about it and wouldn’t care . That’s all , nothing to see here folks ! move along

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Covid 19 is a viral disease that infected another animal species and that has now started to infect ours . The only reason we’re concerned about it is because it infects our species. If a pandemic affected kinorynchs or remipedes you wouldn’t even know about it and wouldn’t care . That’s all , nothing to see here folks ! move along

Remipedes should be required to wear gloves.

remipedes - Google Search

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A virus that kills off some old and sick people. Hardly effective at keeping population in check.
the problem is that old and sick are not only ones dying. Not every one who recovers just goes on about their business either. There are some nasty sequelae from this virus. It’s not just a respiratory virus , it attacks other organs as well

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,893.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Has Mother Nature created COVID-19 to keep the population in check?

Maybe by way of Malthusian Catastrophe? Darwin Population Limit? Natural Selection? or something else?

I personally don't think so.
I agree.

It's just a nasty virus that unfortunately is dangerous to us they way we live.

I feel like projecting the effects of the virus onto the will a deity either metaphorical like Mother Nature or literal the God of Abraham is shirking our own responsibilities to deal with the situation.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I feel like projecting the effects of the virus onto the will a deity either metaphorical like Mother Nature or literal the God of Abraham is shirking our own responsibilities to deal with the situation.
Leviticus 11:13 And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,
14 And the vulture, and the kite after his kind;
15 Every raven after his kind;
16 And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind,
17 And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl,
18 And the swan, and the pelican, and the gier eagle,
19 And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat.

Translation: Bats are off-limits to human consumption.

God knew what He was talking about, didn't He?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,893.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Leviticus 11:13 And these are they which ye shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the ospray,
16 And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckow, and the hawk after his kind,

It probably entered the human population via a bat... but the months and months of reaction to virus are irrelevant to the original origin.

I'm pretty sure Leviticus also bans lobsters and oysters. (That would have made my trip to Maine a whole lot less fun).

Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Maybe by way of Malthusian Catastrophe? Darwin Population Limit? Natural Selection? or something else?

Nope, man did it. One group did it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nope, man did it.
Man did it?

Man is the target.

Or are you saying scientists put the strain together in a laboratory?

Reminds me of this movie I once saw at the drive-in:

the-satan-bug.jpg

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh boy I remember that one . I never saw it though. I was thinking more the Andromeda Strain . Btw Covid 19 isn’t a man made virus. It just evolved the ability to attack humans and probably others of the Hominidae species. Bats are interesting as far as their immune systems are concerned and it makes them good reservoirs for diseases that can spread to other species . I’ll see if I can find that article.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
P

But people eat swans. But bats aren’t fowl .
Ossifrage what a lovely word for a lammergeier. It literally means bone breaker. Honestly I wouldn’t eat a vulture or lammergeier vulture either

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,444.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Benjamin Franklin indeed showed eating kites in stormy weather can prove deadly.

• Haha
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
What gets me is that the SARS-Cov-2 virus is referred to as a 'novel' virus.

The idea that bats may have hosted it sometime in the recent past, is an inference .. albeit being largely based on experiences from how other similar viral diseases have acquired other infectious properties (which, in this case, the main proprety would be the ACE-II receptor affinity).

Yet, the suspected culprit - bats, are also hosts for the closest match to SARS-Cov-2, which is not contagious to humans. (This is the virus the Wuhan researches had in their labs .. which I think also gave rise to all the Chinese conspiracy theories).

Firstly, if the suspected ancestor (or even a preceding strain?) was the non infectious (to humans) bat hosted virus(?), then SARS-Cov-2 doesn't seem to be too 'novel' to me, other than its the first time we humans have had to deal with it(?)

Secondly, it is given the designation of 'SARS-2' which would seem to be saying that it is classified in the same ways as SARS-1, indeed, both are positive sense, single strand RNA (corona) viruses. How do we know that SARS-Cov-2 didn't have some previous encounter with SARS-Cov-1 in humans and that humans might also be a prior host? This doesn't rule out the bat source idea .. but it does lay some more 'ownership' for the pandemic on us humans (in terms of how SARS-1 was dealt with)?

There's still seems to be a lot about how this thing all came about, which isn't fully known yet (unless someone has some more recent updates on that front?)

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Oh my, so much fail, so much wrong.

”Mother nature” is a metaphysical construct, i.e. magic/god(s). It is not something that its meaningful to discuss.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.