south georgia
✟2,107.00
Country
South Georgia And The South Sandwich Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At ACTS.15:24-29, God has exempted new Gentile Christians from any law of Moses which is a burden, eg circumcision and kosher foods. They are not exempted from any law which is not a burden, esp morality laws, eg the Ten Commandments(EXO.20), DEUT.18:9-14, LEV.10:9 & 18:22, etc.
....... In comparison, new Jewish Christians are required by God to continue to keep as many law of Moses as possible because it is not a burden to them.
....... Those who wantonly or ignorantly break God's Law will risk losing their salvation, like the wife of Job who cursed God/Jesus and died while suffering for Job's ignorant sin.(1COR.5:1-5 & 11:30 & 6:9-11, REV.22:12-15)

Upvote 0

Copperhead

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
✟208,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have found that the Torah (Law) shows us the standard and teaches and leads us to Messiah. As Paul stated, it is good and Holy. It was not intended as some club to beat anyone over the head with, it was to show us how much we need a redeemer.

And even the most obscure part of the Torah, shows Messiah.

Example:

We are all guilty of Murder regarding Messiah. But He stated, "Father forgive them for they know not what they do". He declared that we are only guilty of Manslaughter, or unintended death. The Torah teaches, that when one is guilty of murder the next of kin can seek vengeance. But for manslaughter, a person can flee to a city of refuge and be protected from the kinsman.

We are guilty of manslaughter according to what Yeshua said from the cross. We flee to the city of refuge, which is the Yeshua our Messiah. We remain there protected as long a the High Priest is in office, and Yeshua is our High Priest forever. We are protected from next of kin's vengeance (God the Father's vengeance) by remaining in refuge of Yeshua our Messiah.

Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your post is essentially just bashing my post, but does not actually engage with anything I've said. I'm not here to insult you or to be insulted by you, but to have a hopefully fruitful discussion. I naturally do not think that my position is wrong, but I am sure that there are things that I am wrong about, and I don't want to be wrong, so I am open to being persuaded, but I do not find personal attacks to be persuasive. If I've said something that is wrong, then I invite you to engage with what I've said by explaining why you think it is wrong and explaining what the correct understanding should be.

I apologize for my tone, but it is not as it seems to appear.

Let me start over: we all believe what we want to believe according to our preferences. The Law are God's preferences.

Human beings tend to have different preferences then what God's preferences are.

And so human beings tend to be unable to find the truth, as they believe according to their preferences... so they must align their preferences to God's preferences in order to be able to believe the truth.

Though, it is God who does this. Still, it can help to be conscious of it.

Otherwise, the Law was given so that people would believe. The Law shows great wisdom, as God explained to Moses, which would give people confidence in the rest of the Bible, as well.

We all have it written on our hearts, and it is hear, in the Law, where it is made plain.

Does that answer your question?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I apologize for my tone, but it is not as it seems to appear.

Let me start over: we all believe what we want to believe according to our preferences. The Law are God's preferences.

Human beings tend to have different preferences then what God's preferences are.

And so human beings tend to be unable to find the truth, as they believe according to their preferences... so they must align their preferences to God's preferences in order to be able to believe the truth.

Though, it is God who does this. Still, it can help to be conscious of it.

Otherwise, the Law was given so that people would believe. The Law shows great wisdom, as God explained to Moses, which would give people confidence in the rest of the Bible, as well.

We all have it written on our hearts, and it is hear, in the Law, where it is made plain.

Does that answer your question?

Are you now saying that it is good to believe what is true and wise, so therefore we should live in accordance with the Mosaic Law as instructed by God?

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you now saying that it is good to believe what is true and wise, so therefore we should live in accordance with the Mosaic Law as instructed by God?

This is a very general statement you are making, so I am not sure what you mean, specifically. Further, I definitely do not believe you understood me in the first place.

I believe we should follow the gospels, as Jesus instructed, and that is enough. The Law can aid us in doing so, as the Spirit finds fit to bring to mind verses.

If it is not the Spirit bringing to mind verses when needed, as needed, then whose spirit is it?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Forgive my ignorance, if I cause offence here then it is due to my poor understanding rather than any wish to anger.
It was my understanding that Old Testament Law was for the people of Israel specifically. Does the fact that the Old Covenant was aimed towards Israel mean that the Ten Commandments are inapplicable to Christians?

I seem to have got myself awfully confused here-Thanks in advance!
Jesus commanded the apostles to teach us. Read the NT epistles and you will learn how to follow the Lord.

1 Corinthians 11:1New King James Version (NKJV)
11 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
This is a very general statement you are making, so I am not sure what you mean, specifically. Further, I definitely do not believe you understood me in the first place.

I believe we should follow the gospels, as Jesus instructed, and that is enough. The Law can aid us in doing so, as the Spirit finds fit to bring to mind verses.

If it is not the Spirit bringing to mind verses when needed, as needed, then whose spirit is it?

You said God expressed His preferences through the Mosaic Law and that we must align our preference with God's preferences in order to believe the truth, so it seems relatively straightforward that we should therefore live in accordance with God's preferences as expressed by the Mosaic Law. You also said that the Law shows the wisdom of God, so if we should do what is wise, then we should likewise live in accordance with the Law.

Sin is defined as the transgression of the Mosaic Law (1 John 3:4) and Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent from our sins for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17, 4:23), so the Gospels teach us to obey the Mosaic Law in accordance with Christ's example. The Spirit also has the role of leading us to obey the Law (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

• Agree
Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said God expressed His preferences through the Mosaic Law and that we must align our preference with God's preferences in order to believe the truth, so it seems relatively straightforward that we should therefore live in accordance with God's preferences as expressed by the Mosaic Law. You also said that the Law shows the wisdom of God, so if we should do what is wise, then we should likewise live in accordance with the Law.

Sin is defined as the transgression of the Mosaic Law (1 John 3:4) and Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent from our sins for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17, 4:23), so the Gospels teach us to obey the Mosaic Law in accordance with Christ's example. The Spirit also has the role of leading us to obey the Law (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

How I live is by taking account of the standard I use to judge others, and then apply that to my own self. This requires thought on anything questionable.

In Jesus we are free from the Law, so I certainly feel free to eat pork, as long as it is cooked right. I try and not eat too much bacon, as that can become a problem. But, sometimes.

While that might be questionable for someone who attempts to eat kosher (or halal), it is not questionable when you consider: does God judge you negatively for eating pork?

Or, does God dislike it when you eat bacon?

I certainly do not believe God cares if we eat bacon or not. As long as we do not eat too much, and as long as it is cooked correctly.

More importantly, I do not think God thinks going to halal or kosher stores and restaurants is necessary. But, we should be cautious on what ideas we believe, instead.

I am not sure what this has to do with new Christians, however, and I am not sure why you are asking questions on the matter if you already have your mind made up.

Granted, I probably would not ordinarily come across this sort of question otherwise.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In Jesus we are free from the Law, so I certainly feel free to eat pork, as long as it is cooked right. I try and not eat too much bacon, as that can become a problem. But, sometimes.

You said that the Law is God's preferences, that we must align ourselves with God's preferences in order to believe the truth, and that the Law is the wisdom of God, so by saying that Jesus freed us from the Law, you are saying that Jesus freed us from needing to align our preferences with God, so we are now free to do whatever we want and can disregard the preferences, the truth, and the wisdom of God? However, Titus 2:14 does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from the Law, but to redeem us from all Lawlessness and to purify a people for his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, and God's Law is his instructions for how to do good works. Jesus did not redeem us from Lawlessness so that we could go back to being Lawless, but so that we would be free from sin. Jesus set an example of refraining from eating pork, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22).

While that might be questionable for someone who attempts to eat kosher (or halal), it is not questionable when you consider: does God judge you negatively for eating pork?

Indeed, there are some rather negative things said in the Bible about those who eat pork.

Or, does God dislike it when you eat bacon?

God said it was an abomination.

I certainly do not believe God cares if we eat bacon or not. As long as we do not eat too much, and as long as it is cooked correctly.

Why would God command his followers not to eat bacon if He didn't care whether we ate bacon?

More importantly, I do not think God thinks going to halal or kosher stores and restaurants is necessary. But, we should be cautious on what ideas we believe, instead.

Indeed, we should be cautious about what ideas we believe. Why would a just God allow us to do something He punished the Israelites for doing? We are told to learn from their example of disobedience that we might no desire to do evil as they did (1 Corinthians 10:6), not told to emulate their disobedience.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You said that the Law is God's preferences, that we must align ourselves with God's preferences in order to believe the truth, and that the Law is the wisdom of God, so by saying that Jesus freed us from the Law, you are saying that Jesus freed us from needing to align our preferences with God, so we are now free to do whatever we want and can disregard the preferences, the truth, and the wisdom of God? However, Titus 2:14 does not say that Jesus gave himself to free us from the Law, but to redeem us from all Lawlessness and to purify a people for his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, and God's Law is his instructions for how to do good works. Jesus did not redeem us from Lawlessness so that we could go back to being Lawless, but so that we would be free from sin. Jesus set an example of refraining from eating pork, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22).

Indeed, there are some rather negative things said in the Bible about those who eat pork.

Why would God command his followers not to eat bacon if He didn't care whether we ate bacon?

Indeed, we should be cautious about what ideas we believe. Why would a just God allow us to do something He punished the Israelites for doing? We are told to learn from their example of disobedience that we might no desire to do evil as they did (1 Corinthians 10:6), not told to emulate their disobedience.
Where does it say that Jesus refrained from pork? We're told that the law and the prophets are summed up in loving God and neighbor. Food does not factor into that. Paul said not to ask if food was offered to idols. But nevertheless, so as not to offend people in what we allow our consciences we should not offend those weaker in faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Okay, first of all, let us stop for a second. I think my confusion here has been, because this is the new Christians forum. Are you a new Christian?

Also, you asked a question?

I do not think you are yet getting what I am saying, and that burden is on me, I will try and explain. But, I need to understand and step back here, and get some context.

Who are you, why are you asking this on the New Christian forums?

If you wish to debate the Law, there is a forum for that. I am not very concerned about such a thing, but it simply is confusing for me when I am responding.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Okay, first of all, let us stop for a second. I think my confusion here has been, because this is the new Christians forum. Are you a new Christian?

Also, you asked a question?

I do not think you are yet getting what I am saying, and that burden is on me, I will try and explain. But, I need to understand and step back here, and get some context.

Who are you, why are you asking this on the New Christian forums?

If you wish to debate the Law, there is a forum for that. I am not very concerned about such a thing, but it simply is confusing for me when I am responding.

I am not a new Christian, but I was replying to a thread where someone had confusion over the OT Law. I'm asking questions to try to understand your position because it seems like your contradicting yourself. If the Law is the wisdom and preferences of God, then we should not desire to be free from it, nor does God have any reason to free us from it. I am speaking about the Law because this thread is specifically about it.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Where does it say that Jesus refrained from pork? We're told that the law and the prophets are summed up in loving God and neighbor. Food does not factor into that.

According to Romans 3:20, the Law was given to make us conscious of sin, according to Romans 7:7, Paul would not have known what sin was if it were not for the Law, and according to 1 John 3:4, sin is defined as the transgression of the Law, and it is a transgression of the Law to eat pork, therefore it is a sin to eat pork. Jesus was sinless, therefore he did not eat pork and if he had eaten pork, then it would have disqualified him from being our Savior.

All of God's commands can be categorized as ways to love Him or to love our neighbor. For example, the first five of the Ten Commandments are in regard to our relationship with our creator, while the last five are in regard to our relationship with our neighbor. In John 14:23-24, Jesus said that if we love him, then we will obey his teaching, which was not his own, but that of the Father, so refraining from eating pork is one of the ways that God wants us to show our love for Him. In 1 Peter 1:13-16, we are told to have a holy conduct for God is holy, which is a reference to Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to have a holy conduct, such as Leviticus 11:44-45, where refraining from eating unclean animals is a way that God instructed His followers to act in accordance with His holiness. It should also be relatively straightforward that having a holy conduct involves keeping God's holy days.

Paul said not to ask if food was offered to idols. But nevertheless, so as not to offend people in what we allow our consciences we should not offend those weaker in faith.

The issue was that meat that had been offered to idols was often later sold on the market. Jews normally have traditions in place to ensure that animals were killed in a kosher manner, but when they were at a community meal with Gentiles, they were not able to verify that the meat hadn't been sacrificed to idols, so some people chose to eat only vegetables rather than risk it. Those who refrained from eating meat were judging those who were everything everything and were in turn being resented (Romans 14:2-3). So it became an issue of whether it was someone could commit idolatry by unknowingly eating meat that had been sacrificed to idols. Paul was of the opinion that nothing was common in itself, so it was not a sin to do so, but this none of this had to do with eating unclean animals.

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not a new Christian, but I was replying to a thread where someone had confusion over the OT Law. I'm asking questions to try to understand your position because it seems like your contradicting yourself. If the Law is the wisdom and preferences of God, then we should not desire to be free from it, nor does God have any reason to free us from it. I am speaking about the Law because this thread is specifically about it.

I agree with you.

The first century church got confused.

The law has no power of death over us anymore, but it stands, as Jesus said.

I am sorry for the communication problems.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
According to Romans 3:20, the Law was given to make us conscious of sin, according to Romans 7:7, Paul would not have known what sin was if it were not for the Law, and according to 1 John 3:4, sin is defined as the transgression of the Law, and it is a transgression of the Law to eat pork, therefore it is a sin to eat pork. Jesus was sinless, therefore he did not eat pork and if he had eaten pork, then it would have disqualified him from being our Savior.

All of God's commands can be categorized as ways to love Him or to love our neighbor. For example, the first five of the Ten Commandments are in regard to our relationship with our creator, while the last five are in regard to our relationship with our neighbor. In John 14:23-24, Jesus said that if we love him, then we will obey his teaching, which was not his own, but that of the Father, so refraining from eating pork is one of the ways that God wants us to show our love for Him. In 1 Peter 1:13-16, we are told to have a holy conduct for God is holy, which is a reference to Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to have a holy conduct, such as Leviticus 11:44-45, where refraining from eating unclean animals is a way that God instructed His followers to act in accordance with His holiness. It should also be relatively straightforward that having a holy conduct involves keeping God's holy days.

The issue was that meat that had been offered to idols was often later sold on the market. Jews normally have traditions in place to ensure that animals were killed in a kosher manner, but when they were at a community meal with Gentiles, they were not able to verify that the meat hadn't been sacrificed to idols, so some people chose to eat only vegetables rather than risk it. Those who refrained from eating meat were judging those who were everything everything and were in turn being resented (Romans 14:2-3). So it became an issue of whether it was someone could commit idolatry by unknowingly eating meat that had been sacrificed to idols. Paul was of the opinion that nothing was common in itself, so it was not a sin to do so, but this none of this had to do with eating unclean animals.
That's obviously not Christianity your promoting for so many reasons. First we are all one in Christ. That means that there is no Jew, Gentile etc in Christ. Gentiles were never given the laws to follow and in fact were told not to be burdened with them. When the sheet was let down in front of Peter there was no doubt a pig in there. Peter was told not to judge as unclean that which has been made clean. We know that meant that Jews are not to judge Gentiles as unclean by what proceeded and Peter exclaiming that the Holy Spirit cannot be denied because the key to Christianity is ______ God has brought together as one.____That in no way means that some enjoy the privilege of freedom in Christ now but the Jews need to wait for completion to achieve that.
Yet that is in fact what DaveW would have us believe about Jews and Gentiles. Is that your belief too Hannah's prayer Fwiw that mindset can be the only OT reasoning that would disallow (gentile) women a place in Christ's Jubilee as a pattern of the OT being carried into the new.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
That's obviously not Christianity your promoting for so many reasons. First we are all one in Christ. That means that there is no Jew, Gentile etc in Christ.

The Bible very clearly speaks about people who are Jews, Gentiles, slaves, free, male, and female, so Galatians 3:28 was not denying the obvious existence of these categories, but rather Paul was addressing an issue where people thought that they had special status because they were a Jew or a Gentile, etc, and saying that we all come to Christ and are part of one body on the same terms. He certainly was not making the point that Jews and no longer Jews and should therefore act like Gentiles. Paul never stopped identifying either as Jew or as Pharisee.

While it is good to correctly understand who the Law was given to, it is not good to focus on that to the point where we lose focus on who the Law was given by. That Law was not given to Israel as instructions for how to act like Jews, but rather it was given to Israel as instructions for how to walk in God's ways (Deuteronomy 10:12-13), and it was never intended only for Israel, but rather Israel was given the role of being a light to the nations to draw them into a relationship with God, to teach them about Him, about how to serve Him, and about how to walk in His ways in accordance with His Law (Isaiah 2:2-3, Isaiah 49:6, Deuteronomy 4:5-8).

Gentiles were never given the laws to follow and in fact were told not to be burdened with them.

Jesus set a perfect example for his followers for how to walk in obedience to the Law, and as his followers we are told to walk in the same way that he walked (1 John 2:3-6) and to follow his example 1 Peter 2:21-22), so following Jesus is not just for Jews, but for Gentiles too. According to 1 John 5:3, the commands of God are not burdensome and according to Matthew 11:28-30 and Jeremiah 6:16-19, God's Law is the good way were we will find rest for our souls. There are 1,050 commands in the NT, so the idea that Gentiles do not get the privilege and the delight of following the holy, righteous, and good instructions of our God is incorrect. Even if you grant just the four laws in Acts 15:19-21, that would still exclude over 99% of the laws in the NT, including all of those instructed by Jesus. However, as it stated, the goal was not to make thing difficult for new believers coming to faith, so it was a starting point rather than an exhaustive list of everything that would be required of mature believers, which they excused by saying that Gentiles would continue to learn what would be required of them by hearing Moses taught every Sabbath in the synagogues.

When the sheet was let down in front of Peter there was no doubt a pig in there. Peter was told not to judge as unclean that which has been made clean. We know that meant that Jews are not to judge Gentiles as unclean by what proceeded and Peter exclaiming that the Holy Spirit cannot be denied because the key to Christianity is ______ God has brought together as one.____

Acts 10:10-16 And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance 11 and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” 14 But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” 15 And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.” 16 This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven.

Note that it incorrect to say that Peter was told not to judge as unclean what God had made clean, but rather he was told not to judge as common what God had made clean, which is completely different concept, which is why Peter said that he had never eaten anything that was common or unclean instead of just anything unclean. It says that all kinds of animals were let down in his vision, so when Peter was told to kill and eat, he could have easily obeyed the command by killing and eating one of the clean animals, but he objected to doing what the Law permitted him to do. The issue was that there was a man-made ritual purity law that said that something clean that came in contact with something that was unclean became common (Mark 7:3-4), and all the animals were bundled together at the bottom of the sheet, which meant that all of the clean animals had become common. So by saying that he had never eaten anything that was common or unclean, Peter was saying that he had never broken this man-made law or God's dietary laws, and by refusing to kill and eat one of the clean animals Peter was disobeying God to obey man, which is why God rebuked him for referring to the clean animals as common. So Peter's vision was only in regard to the incorrect status of clean animals, which he interpreted three times as being in regard to the incorrect status of Gentiles, and had nothing to do with eating unclean animals, nor did he even hit at that now being permitted. And if he had tried to say that, then he would have needed to repent in violation of Deuteronomy 4:2 and the people would have been quicker to regard him as a false messenger of God according to Deuteronomy 13 than to follow what any man said instead what God commanded them to do.

That in no way means that some enjoy the privilege of freedom in Christ now but the Jews need to wait for completion to achieve that.

According to Titus 2:14, Christ did not give himself to free us from the Law, but to redeem us from all Lawlessness, so the freedom that we have in Christ is the freedom from sinning in transgression of it and the freedom to obey it, not the freedom to do what God revealed to be sin.

Yet that is in fact what DaveW would have us believe about Jews and Gentiles. Is that your belief too Hannah's prayer Fwiw that mindset can be the only OT reasoning that would disallow (gentile) women a place in Christ's Jubilee as a pattern of the OT being carried into the new.

While we are under a New Covenant and not the Mosaic Covenant, we are still nevertheless still under the same God with the same attributes, and therefore with the same way to act in accordance with those attributes. God's attributes are eternal and so the way to act in accordance with them has existed from the beginning before God made any covenants with man, so it is not dependant on any particular covenant, though it has be revealed through them. So anyone who wants to look up how to practice righteousness in accordance with God's righteousness can do so by reading the Mosaic Law regardless of which covenant they are under, but as part of the New Covenant, we are still told to practice righteousness (1 John 3:10).

Upvote 0

Cassidy Bennett

Child of God
Jul 5, 2017
Pittsburgh
✟17,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive my ignorance, if I cause offence here then it is due to my poor understanding rather than any wish to anger.
It was my understanding that Old Testament Law was for the people of Israel specifically. Does the fact that the Old Covenant was aimed towards Israel mean that the Ten Commandments are inapplicable to Christians?

I seem to have got myself awfully confused here-Thanks in advance!

Everything in the OT is applicable to Christians. Jesus says "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." Matthew 5:17

It has to do with literal interpretation verses intent. For example not being allowed to eat certain meats in the OT had to do with not eating food that was sacrificed to other gods. We don't have to worry about that now bc we have the knowledge that it doesnt matter. There is only one God. Still we can lead others astray if they believe they're eating something sacrificed to idols.

In addition there are people that take the literal interpretation and create their own intent apart from God. Those are the Pharisees.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
see above. Can you please add NT scripture about where you see Jewish Christians being commanded to keep to the dietary law and then where Gentile are commanded in the NT to do the same.

In 1 Peter 1:13-16, we are told to have a holy conduct for God is holy, which is a quote from Leviticus where God was giving instructions for how to have a holy conduct, such as Leviticus 11:44-45, where refraining from eating unclean animals is a way that we can show our faith and love for God by acting in accordance with His eternal holiness. It should also be straightforward that the way to have a holy conduct involves keeping God's holy days. In 1 Peter 2:9-10, we are not included as part of a holy nation and a royal priesthood, so we should act in accordance with God's instructions for how to act as part of a holy nation and a royal priesthood. We are also told that sin is the transgression of the Law (1 John 3:4) and that we are not permitted to sin (Romans 6:15), so it follows that we are not permitted to transgress God's Law. Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent from our sins for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17, 4:23), and the Law is how the people knew what sin, so repenting from our disobedience to the Mosaic Law is an integral part of the Gospel message. In Romans 15:18-19, Paul's Gospel message involved bring the Gentiles to full obedience in word and indeed, so he was on the same page as Jesus in teaching repentance from what God has revealed to be sin. According to Romans 2:13, it is not the hearers of the Law who will be justified, but the doers. According to Romans 2:26, the way to recognize that a Gentile has a circumcised heart is by observing their obedience to the Law. According to Romans 3:31, our faith upholds the Law. According to Romans 7:7, Paul delighted in obeying the Law. In Acts 18:18, Paul took a Nazarite vow involving shaving his head, which involved making offerings (Numbers 6), and in Acts 21:20-24, Paul was on his way to pay for the offering of others who had taken a similar vow in order to disprove false rumors that he was teaching against the Law and to show that he continued to live in obedience to it.

If someone has disdain for the Law, then I do not see how that can help but to reflect on their opinion of the Lawgiver. It was never about what we have to do, but about what we get to do. Throughout the Psalms, David said many times that he delighted in obeying God's Law, he loved it, he mediated on it day and night, that those who obeyed it would be blessed, that he walked about in liberty because he sought its precepts, etc, and this is the correct attitude to have towards the commands of our God, which He said were given for our own good. Jesus set an example for his followers to follow of living in complete obedience to the Law and we are his followers who are told to imitate him (1 Corinthians 11:1). He did not teach obedience to the Law by word and by example so that we would disregard his teachings and his example.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Everything in the OT is applicable to Christians. Jesus says "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." Matthew 5:17

It has to do with literal interpretation verses intent. For example not being allowed to eat certain meats in the OT had to do with not eating food that was sacrificed to other gods. We don't have to worry about that now bc we have the knowledge that it doesnt matter. There is only one God. Still we can lead others astray if they believe they're eating something sacrificed to idols.

In 1 Corinthians 8, Paul was criticizing the views of those who had become puffed up by their knowledge, not saying that we should also become puffed up by our knowledge. This is the reality:

1 Corinthians 10:19-22 What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. 22 Shall we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he?

Upvote 0