China
Visit site
✟8,378.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear brethren,

I have been away from this forum due to a busy schedule, but I have seen that my thread and some other threads here are still active.

I hope to remind those who truly love the Lord to always pray to Him before you ever reply here, because all of us need much patience to tackle the contention and confusion going on here. The cause of these contentions and confusion are no doubt from the devil, and he can influence any one of us into a contentious and critical spirit. This should not be, and we need the Lord to strengthen us to speak the truth in love. Let us not give the devil any foothold, but cling onto the pure faith in Lord Jesus, and we will be able to do all things through Him.

As for those who have spoken the truth in love, I encourage you all to do it more. But also remember what the Lord said:

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. (Matthew 7:6)

Speak the truth in love, and if people reject the truth you speak (yes, even on these forums), leave them be and shake the dust off your feet. Please never engage anyone in ceaseless arguments, because from my experience, it gives the devil chances to sow discord, anger and hatred among us. I have learnt my lessons, and now I hope my true brethren will not fall into the same errors as I did.

This is probably my last thread in Soteriology, and I want my thread here to be closed permanently because it is only causing much dissension and anger:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7577586/

If any staff on here reads this, I hope you can help to keep that thread closed or maybe even delete it. Thank you LovebirdsFlying for helping me close the thread. :)

Before I go, here are my conclusions from what I discussed so far:

I still do not believe Calvinism is biblical, and I probably never will, until the Lord Himself shows me through His Word that my current understanding is wrong. Man is responsible for his choices, and predestination makes that impossible because under it, God is ultimately responsible for everything that happens and thus man is not responsible - this is not in line with any part of the Word which says God will judge man for his deeds and hold him responsible for his sins (unless he repents and comes to Christ). Predestination and judgment put together, makes God an unfair judge because He judges man for what he cannot be responsible for. This is the major reason why I do not agree with Calvinism. Since the Word is 100% truth and cannot contain any falsehood or error, this makes Calvinism non-biblical and untrue.

I have spoken my piece, and now it is time for me to go. May the Lord bless all the true brethren and strengthen you all to grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Last edited:
E

Edwards1984

I hope to remind those who truly love the Lord to always pray to Him before you ever reply here, because all of us need much patience to tackle the contention and confusion going on here. The cause of these contentions and confusion are no doubt from the devil, and he can influence any one of us into a contentious and critical spirit. This should not be, and we need the Lord to strengthen us to speak the truth in love. Let us not give the devil any foothold, but cling onto the pure faith in Lord Jesus, and we will be able to do all things through Him.

This is something we should all remember, and something I myself often forget.

Upvote 0

Brother Chris

Jan 12, 2011
✟8,852.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Terene, this was never about Calvinism. If you are a born again Christian, if you have repented of your sins and trusted in Christ as your Savior and Lord, then you are my sister in Christ. Just because other Christians do not believe in the biblical teaching of election and predestination, that does not mean they're not saved. The bible teaches somethings that are hard to learn or accept, but they are biblical and must be honored. When I first learned about election and predestination, I felt similar to the way you did. But now, the Lord has opened my eyes and I now understand it and rejoice that I have been chosen. This doctrine does not eliminate human responsibility, but exalts God's sovereignty and grace in salvation; without this, everyone would be lost in hell because that's what everyone deserves (including you and me).

Upvote 0

Terene

Bondslave of Jesus Christ
Mar 21, 2011
China
Visit site
✟8,378.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Terene, this was never about Calvinism. If you are a born again Christian, if you have repented of your sins and trusted in Christ as your Savior and Lord, then you are my sister in Christ. Just because other Christians do not believe in the biblical teaching of election and predestination, that does not mean they're not saved. The bible teaches somethings that are hard to learn or accept, but they are biblical and must be honored. When I first learned about election and predestination, I felt similar to the way you did. But now, the Lord has opened my eyes and I now understand it and rejoice that I have been chosen. This doctrine does not eliminate human responsibility, but exalts God's sovereignty and grace in salvation; without this, everyone would be lost in hell because that's what everyone deserves (including you and me).

Chris,

Maybe you can tell me how you understand election and predestination from what the Lord teaches so I can consider and pray about it? People may have entirely different explanations about election and predestination, and I need to hear yours and why you think it is biblical.

Nevertheless, predestination and election is just one of the many reasons why I don't agree with Calvinism. If Calvinism is 100% biblical, then it will have absolutely no errors in ALL its teachings. I have yet to see that being proven. A biblical doctrine can never be a doctrine with truth and error mixed.

God bless you brother. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2011
✟8,272.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This discussion will keep going on, in one form or another sis, and should never draw us away from who Jesus Christ is, and all He has done and does now for us.

Any doctrine that excuses sin, or makes one comfortable in sin, is not of God, and is falsehood, a deception and seduction from the power that would keep all bound and a servant of sin. God is holy, Gods word is holy, Jesus Christ was/is holy, and came and gave His life to save His people. Salvation is offered to ALL. He died for ALL. All will not come to Him, simply because we are given free-will. This is why we will ALL be held accountable, and will answer for the decisions and actions done. Not complicated. Not gonna change, though some will spend a lifetime debating it. Nothing strange about where such comes from. One only needs to study exhaustively scripture warning of being 'deceived', to learn how we should live.

Yes, we speak and teach Jesus Christ. Salvation is only in Jesus Christ. Those who truly 'abide' in Jesus Christ, bear the fruits of one who abides in Him. All other fruit will show of what sort and kind they come from. God Bless all who abide in Jesus Christ, He is all we are and do. Those who truly love and trust Him are becoming like Him, hence, the meaning of 'Christian'.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Terene, I hate to see you go sister. I have found the discussion here to be, for the most part, civil and very rewarding and enjoyable.

I would really like to tell you that I think you have a grave error in your thinking. Please hear me out. This part you quoted really caught my attention:

I still do not believe Calvinism is biblical, and I probably never will, until the Lord Himself shows me through His Word that my current understanding is wrong. Man is responsible for his choices, and predestination makes that impossible because under it, God is ultimately responsible for everything that happens and thus man is not responsible - this is not in line with any part of the Word which says God will judge man for his deeds and hold him responsible for his sins (unless he repents and comes to Christ). Predestination and judgment put together, makes God an unfair judge because He judges man for what he cannot be responsible for. This is the major reason why I do not agree with Calvinism. Since the Word is 100% truth and cannot contain any falsehood or error, this makes Calvinism non-biblical and untrue.

Sister, you seem to find difficulty between the two things 1) God controls everything and 2) man is responsible for what he does, and acts as he pleases.

It is understandable and reasonable to find difficulty reconciling these two things. But please notice, the Bible doesn't find difficulty in them. In fact, it teaches that both things are true. The one being true doesn't' make the other untrue. This is plainly seen in many passages, but here is just one for now.

Act 4:26-28
(26) The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers were gathered together, against the Lord and against his Anointed'--
(27) for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel,
(28) to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place.

Here we see that the two truths are evident:

1) Men acted as they pleased, and they are held responsible for their actions. Wicked men did the evil that that they desired to do against Christ.

2) God controlled the whole situation. We see that everything described was God's predestined plan and purpose. It was God's plan all along.

So you see, both things are true. Predestination is true. What the wicked men did to Christ was predestined by God. Yet at the same time, it was exactly what they wanted to do, and thus they are held responsible.

I firmly believe our finite minds cannot understand this. Yet the Bible teaches it, so we must believe it, if we believe the Bible.

Our God is too bigand too powerful to figure out sister. This is how he works. He controls everything, yet at the same time, men act as they please, and GOd holds them accountable for their actions.

I can't understand this. Charles Spurgeon didn't understand this. I doubt John Calvin or Martin Luther or Jonathan Edwards or any other great theologians in history understood this. It is not reconcilable to the human brain. Yet it is what the Bible teaches, so we must believe it.

God is sovereign.
Men act as they please and God justly holds them accountable.

So you see Terene, you are viewing the issue as "either/or". But really it is "both/and". Let the issue out of that tiny box you have tried to smash it into (it won't fit in there!) and just acknowledge these two facts as true.

I can give you more passages that stress this relationship between men's will and God's sovereignty, if you'd like. I have a few more :)

I leave you with this amazing Spurgeon quote:

"The system of truth revealed in the Scriptures is not simply one straight line, but two; and no man will ever get a right view of the gospel until he knows how to look at the two lines at once. For instance, I read in one Book of the Bible, "The Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." Yet I am taught, in another part of the same inspired Word, that "it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy."

I see, in one place, God in providence presiding over all, and yet I see, and I cannot help seeing, that man acts as he pleases, and that God has left his actions, in a great measure, to his own free-will. Now, if I were to declare that man was so free to act that there was no control of God over his actions, I should be driven very near to atheism; and if, on the other hand, I should declare that God so over-rules all things that man is not free enough to be responsible, I should be driven at once into Antinomianism or fatalism. That God predestines, and yet that man is responsible, are two facts that few can see clearly. They are believed to be inconsistent and contradictory to each other.

If, then, I find taught in one part of the Bible that everything is fore-ordained, that is true; and if I find, in another Scripture, that man is responsible for all his actions, that is true; and it is only my folly that leads me to imagine that these two truths can ever contradict each other. I do not believe they can ever be welded into one upon any earthly anvil, but they certainly shall be one in eternity. They are two lines that are so nearly parallel, that the human mind which pursues them farthest will never discover that they converge, but they do converge, and they will meet somewhere in eternity, close to the throne of God, whence all truth doth spring!"

This same truth can also be seen in your own life. Consider your prayer life. How often have we prayed to the Lord to give us traveling mercies, taht we may arrive at our destination safely?

Well, is God controlling the situation while I drive, or am I? If it is up to my free-will completely, why am I asking God to let me arrive safely? Isn't it up to me (and the other drivers on the road) to use our free wills and make the right driving decisions?

Or maybe it's both, just as I have been trying to explain. Maybe two things are true 1) God controls the situation 2) when driving, I act as I please. It is both sister. Not "either/or". The proof of this is that all Christians pray and ask God for things! If everything was up to man's free will, it would make no sense to pray! If men didn't act as they please, it would make no sense to tell people to make smart decisions! It's "both/and" my friend. Please, please, understand this, and you will feel a giant weight off your shoulders, and the blindfold to these things will fade away.

Also, I would greatly like to see you actually hear Calvinists out. There's wonderful teachers out there who are transparent and will explain to you how they get their conclusions.

Try desiringgod.org and look for the TULIP seminar.

Also, try RC Sproul's book "Chosen by God"
Also, try the DVD "Amazing Grace: History and theology of Calvinism"

I honestly think you do not fully understand certain things, and this is evident by some of the arguments you have made over the past. And don't worry, we all made those same arguments too, sister. It is a lot to study and consider, but if you give it some time, it will all make sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brother Chris

Jan 12, 2011
✟8,852.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chris,

Maybe you can tell me how you understand election and predestination from what the Lord teaches so I can consider and pray about it? People may have entirely different explanations about election and predestination, and I need to hear yours and why you think it is biblical.

Nevertheless, predestination and election is just one of the many reasons why I don't agree with Calvinism. If Calvinism is 100% biblical, then it will have absolutely no errors in ALL its teachings. I have yet to see that being proven. A biblical doctrine can never be a doctrine with truth and error mixed.

God bless you brother. :)

God bless you too sister. Please watch this video. A young bible student who does not understand election, asks a pastor who teaches this doctrine to explain it to him. It helped me understand it more:

‪"I don't understand Election" Paul Washer answers‬‏ - YouTube

Please let us know your reaction to it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
T

Thankful For Grace

Salvation is available to all men through Jesus Christ.

Rom 5:18-19
18 So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. NASU

God's will and desire is that all men come to Christ and be saved.

1 Tim 2:3-6
3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimonygiven at the proper time.
NASU

Rom 11:32
32 For God has shut up all in disobedience so that He may show mercy to all.
NASU

Titus 2:11
11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,
NASU

Salvation is for everyone who believes.

Rom 1:16
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes,
NASU

The elect are those whom God foreknew would come to Him. He is omnicient, and foreknows all things. Those whom He foreknew would come to Him, He predestined to be conformed to His likeness.

Rom 8:29-30
29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.
NASU

God is sovereign. We cannot completely wrap our finite minds around His ways. However, we can be assured that His nature is absolute agape, and that He is absolutely just.

He makes it very clear in His own word that salvation was purchased on the Cross of Jesus Christ for ALL men. He also makes it clear that it is His Will that ALL men come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. To insinuate that He would pick and choose only a few to die for is to malign His perfect character of love and justice, and goes against what He Himself explicitly stated in His word.

God has extended grace to ALL men (see Titus 2:11 quoted above.)

Not all respond to His grace--those who reject it will perish--and God has known before the foundation of the world who will accept the free gift and who will reject it.

Those He foreknew, He predestined to be conformed to His likeness.

Understanding God's foreknowledge is the key to understanding election and predestination.

May all be blessed,

TFG

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

18 So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. NASU

actual or just potential "resulting in justification of life to all men" ?

if actual then universalism is being taught , but if potential then the result is salvation ONLY for those who believe .

What is more , salvation is through the Gospel .... the Gospel has never even been heard seen explained to every person and without the Gospel there can be no salvation (Romans 10)

but if you mean that any person hearing and obeying the Gospel can be saved then that is fine.

Lastly , Foreknowledge is to do with persons never what they do or don't do . God foreknows the elect and saves them .

If foreknowledge is simply foresight (the none Calvinist view) then there can be no salvation for anyone foreknown to be certainly lost ; and God DOES know all.

Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
TFG, I know that you are trying to help your sister, but I wholeheartedly disagree with your conclusions, which I will lay out below:

Notice that the verse you quoted here has nothing to do with the assertion you made. This verse doesn't say that that salvation is merely available to men, it says that Christ's work has actually resulted in justification and life for all men.

The problem here is that if you take "all men" to mean "all individuals" and not, say, "all men in Christ", which is more likely based ont eh context, you have just found a verse that teaches universalism. Your insistance on "all men" meaning "all individuals" forces you to water down Paul's words to mean "potential justification" or "the possibility or availability of justification", when that is not what he says. he says that this group of men, whoever they are (I argue he means the men in Christ, as opposed to the men in Adam), actually are justified and have life. That is why your original assertion didn't match what Paul said. Your assertion was that justification and life was merely made available to this group, but Paul says it is actually applied to this group. The context demands that two different groups are in mind here sister, from about verse 15 to 18:

Rom 5:15-19
(15) But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.
(16) And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification.
(17) For if, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.
(18) Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.
(19) For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous.

There are two groups here sister, not one group. The many in Adam receive death. What Adam did affected all who are in him. The many in Christ receive life. What Christ did affected all who are in him.

Your conclusions are making Paul's argument nonsensical. You are trying to say that what Christ did affects all who are in Him, and also all who are not in Him. Not everyone is in Christ, only believers are. This is why Paul describes them as "the ones that receive the gift". (v17) Not everyone receives the gift - many men reject the gift and end up in hell.

I'm sorry but your conclusion doesn't hold water when held up to the scrutiny of exegesis. It only looks good when you pluck one verse in isolation away from the rest of Paul's argument.

God's will and desire is that all men come to Christ and be saved.

1 Tim 2:3-6
3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimonygiven at the proper time.
NASU

There are two answers/responses to your conclusions here my friend.

1) The first is that even if you are using this verse correctly (I don't think you are) this verse doesn't' do anything to debunk the doctrine of unconditional (calvinistic) election. Why? Because Calvinists affirm that sometimes God lets some desires override his other desires.

For example, non-Calvinists believe that God desires all men to be saved, but he lets his desire to let them choose for themselves whether to be saved override his desire to see that they are all saved.

So it is feasible to believe that God may desire to see all saved but yet his desire to choose for Himself, for His own glory, and to remove human boasting, who is saved, override his desire to see all men saved.

The point is, neither of these disproves election, so quoting it as part of an argument really doesn't accomplish anything.

2) The second response is that indeed I think you are using the verse out of context. Paul has just listed "types" of men that we are to pray for, and anytime you find that in Greek language, when the word 'all' is employed by an author, you can pretty much put money on the fact that the author is using the other definition of "all" (pas in the Greek), which means "some of all sorts" or "all types". Since Paul has just said to pray for all types of men "Kings, and those in authority" his argument is that God desires to see all types of men saved, which is why we should pray for all types of men. His argument is that God desires to save every single individual born into Adam's race. That would make the Bible contradict itself since the doctrine of reprobation is so plainly taught all over the Bible, and that it constantly teaches that God has blinded eyes and hardened hearts sot hat people will not believe (Check John 12)

In short, you are ignoring the fact that "all" has not just one, but two definitions in the Greek. It's like non-Calvinists like to pretend that that other definition is never used or worse, it doesn't exist. Look it up for yourself in a Greek Concordance. the word is "pas". (also, "world" (kosmos) in Greek has around 10-14 definitions, but I digress)

Rom 11:32
32 For God has shut up all in disobedience so that He may show mercy to all.
NASU

Your verse here is out of context as well, as Paul is talking about the Jews who were consigned to disobedience.

Titus 2:11
11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,
NASU

Obviously, this verse doesn't teach universalism. So we can rule out the interpretation that says that God has actually saved all men. That leaves an interpretation that says that God has indeed brought salvation to all men, but we know that many men reject salvation. So, this verse doesn't' disprove anything. calvinism affirms that men are asked, commanded to repent, but they reject God and disobey. It's because of that hard heart you see, which makes converting grace mandatory and necessary for anyone at all to be saved. We call that "effectual grace" :)

Salvation is for everyone who believes.

Rom 1:16
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes,
NASU

Yep, and that's exactly what Calvinists believe. Every single person who believes will be saved. No argument there. Why did you think this verse disproved anything?

The elect are those whom God foreknew would come to Him. He is omnicient, and foreknows all things. Those whom He foreknew would come to Him, He predestined to be conformed to His likeness.

Rom 8:29-30
29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.
NASU

Ah, finally the thrust of your argument. You make many mistakes here sister.

1) You presuppose that "foreknowledge" means that God passively gathers intellectual information. When in fact it means much more than that. For starters, God cannot learn anything, so there is no such thing as God "looking into the future to see who will believe".

2) You falsely read that God foreknew actions of people, rather than what Paul says God knows, which is people themselves.

Notice, he says "whom He foreknew..he predestined". God didn't foreknow men's faith, he foreknew men themselves. Thus foreknowledge is a personal knowing, not a mere intellectual assent that men would do something. Grammatically, the object of God's foreknowledge is men, not their actions. So you are reading an idea into the text which isn't actually there.

When God knows someone, it doesn't just mean he knows about them, (or about their actions). Observe:

Amos 3;2 You only have I known among all the families of the earth..

did God intellectually know only Israel? No, obviously he knew all the other families too. But God only "knew" Israel in a personal, loving way. That's what it means for God to "know" someone. It doesn't mean to know "about" them. Or "about" what actions they would commit.

The Lord knows who are His 2 Tim 2:19

Obviously God "knows" those are not his too, but here he says he knows who are His. It means he loves those who are His. It means he knows them in a personal, relationship sense. Not that he merely knows about them.

Matt 7:23 "Depart from me, I never knew you"

Does Jesus know everyone? Sure he does, he's God. So what he means is not that he never knew "about" them, but he never "knew" them in a personal, meaningful way.

This is the type of "know" that God has for his people. He foreknew them. He knew them from eternity past. He set his covenental love upon them. The verse doesn't' say he knew about their actions. It says he knew them.

3) Thirdly sister, you twist around Paul's argument. Paul says that being predestined, and called, and justified, is the result of being foreknown.

However, according to your thinking, God only foreknows because people answer the call and are justified. This is backwards from what Paul says. he doesn't' say "and whom he called, and saw would be justified, He foreknew.."

He says the opposite. he foreknew them first, and that's why he called them, and then justified them.

According to Paul, being justified is the result of being foreknown. According to you, being foreknown is the result of being justified. Don't you see how you totally mixed up Paul's order of events?

Rom 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
Rom 8:30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

To insinuate that He would pick and choose only a few to die for is to malign His perfect character of love and justice, and goes against what He Himself explicitly stated in His word.

This is pure opinion on your part, and has no Biblical basis. Men arent' innocent bystanders waiting to be picked for heaven or hell. They are guilty criminals, sinners, who deserve hell. If God saved zero people, he would be justified in his decision.

If God saved some, and not the others, he is still justified in his decision, because all of them deserved hell to begin with. Yet he has grace and mercy on multitudes out of pure love.

The Calvinist believes that the people that Jesus dies for are actually saved. That's how loving Jesus is. he actually saves the ones he suffers and dies for. They believe God actually, literally saves millions of people for His own glory. he doesn't try, and fail. he doesn't dangle Jesus out and say "come on", without entering the situation to make sure people are saved. No, he actually ensures that people come to salvation, because he set out from eternity past to do exactly that - save people for his own glory.

This whole "try and fail" to save thing that you believe is likened to a parent seeing his toddler running into a busy street, but isntead of rushing out to save the child, he says "let's wait and see what he does..i don't want to interfere with his will!"

That's what your view of salvation is like. God just waits and sees who will get lucky and escape hell.
In my view, he actually ensures that multitudes escape hell, because He Himself chose them and redeems them and saves them.

This was long winded, but I just cannot in good conscience let someone mishandle the bible in such a way and portray such an awful view of God's saving grace.

Jesus saves. He doesn't try to save, and fail with the majority of mankind. He saves, without fail, 100% of the time. God has a 100% success rate in salvation. He's Almighty God for crying out loud.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Walter Kovacs

Justice is coming, no matter what we do.
Jan 22, 2011
Florida
Visit site
✟10,124.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
He's Almighty God for crying out loud.

If God is truly Almighty, then He doesn't need to save deterministically in order to remain so. There's nothing that can take away from a truly sovereign being if it is truly, absolutely sovereign. So really, God could do the opposite of what Calvinism claims and be no less sovereign. So that problem is solved. God's sovereignty is not reduced by placing the burden on men to respond to His grace that enlightens the world.

Secondly, why is God off the hook for passing by uncounted millions, destining them for damnation, when He could just as easily heal their condition and bring them into union with Himself, when He chastens a Levite for passing by one man in a ditch who needed help? The Calvinist answer is that it simply glorifies God more to do it that way, for reasons we will never know. That, IMO, is the weakest link in what has been consistently seen throughout history as a chain that at best is faulty and at worst contrived.

Scripturally, the grace that brings salvation has appeared to all men, and it lies on men to respond to that grace. Grace is resistible, this is evident throughout all of Scripture and precisely why we are warned to not quench the Spirit and why many are rebuked for resisting the work of the Spirit. God's sovereignty is not reduced by placing the burden on men to respond to His grace that enlightens the world.

Upvote 0
T

Thankful For Grace

Dear Skala,

I appreciate the effort you went to to address my brief post, even though you misunderstood some of the logic. The truth is, this is an age old disagreement, and anything I say is not going to change your belief system--and vice versa. Let us choose to disagree in love.

I stand by what the scriptures teach in their entirety re: the New Covenant. Christ died to save all sinners. His Blood suffices for all.

18 So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all (NT 3956) through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all (NT 3956, pas) men (NT 444 anthroópous i.e., mankind)

Sincerely,
TFG

Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So all individuals, without exception, are justified then?

That is what you are asserting. Are you a universalist? Could you please explain what this verse means if it doesn't mean that every single person in history is saved through Jesus?

Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
T

Thankful For Grace

Dear Skala,

No, I am not a universalist. Jesus is the (only) Way. The Way is narrow and few find it. However, the Way is available to all mankind.

Matt 7:7-9
7 " Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 "For everyone (pas NT 3956) who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
NASU

The atonement of Jesus Christ suffices for all; the Cross is sufficient for the salvation of all. Not all ask, not all seek, not all find.

Blessings,

TFG

So all individuals, without exception, are justified then?

That is what you are asserting. Are you a universalist? Could you please explain what this verse means if it doesn't mean that every single person in history is saved through Jesus?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Dear Skala,

No, I am not a universalist. Jesus is the (only) Way. The Way is narrow and few find it. However, the Way is available to all mankind.

Matt 7:7-9
7 " Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 "For everyone (pas NT 3956) who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
NASU

The atonement of Jesus Christ suffices for all; the Cross is sufficient for the salvation of all. Not all ask, not all seek, not all find.

Blessings,

TFG

Sister, I asked what you are asserting Rom 5:18-19 teaches. Becuse it says the group referred to as "all men" are actually justified and given life. It doesn't say that the mere possibility of them being justified is what is accomplished.

So who is the "all men", in your view? You have two possible answers.

1) Every individual (universalism)
2) Every individual that is in Christ (important qualification that I believe Paul makes in the same passage, which is what i'm charging you with overlooking :) )

Which is it?

You already denied #1, so that leaves #2. And this doesn't debunk or disprove Calvinism in any way, nor does it help you to bolster a attack against unconditional election. So you see, I am confused why you hounded on this verse so much, because it doesn't do anything to help your case, with all due respect.

Upvote 0

Walter Kovacs

Jan 22, 2011
Florida
Visit site
✟10,124.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
1) Every individual (universalism)
2) Every individual that is in Christ (important qualification that I believe Paul makes in the same passage, which is what i'm charging you with overlooking )

Both conclusions can be fairly reached. Paul wasn't systematic in his theology to the degree we'd like; he uses different terms with different meansings all the time. A consistent theology from Paul is tough to get; here he says EVERY SINGLE PERSON, somewhere else he says EVERY PERSON IN CHRIST, somwehere else he says A FULL REPRESENTATION of a certain people. It really makes his ideas tough to grapple with. Thanks, Paul.

Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If God is truly Almighty, then He doesn't need to save deterministically in order to remain so. There's nothing that can take away from a truly sovereign being if it is truly, absolutely sovereign. So really, God could do the opposite of what Calvinism claims and be no less sovereign. So that problem is solved. God's sovereignty is not reduced by placing the burden on men to respond to His grace that enlightens the world.

The above is pure opinion and subjective assertions.

Secondly, why is God off the hook for passing by uncounted millions, destining them for damnation, when He could just as easily heal their condition and bring them into union with Himself, when He chastens a Levite for passing by one man in a ditch who needed help? The Calvinist answer is that it simply glorifies God more to do it that way, for reasons we will never know. That, IMO, is the weakest link in what has been consistently seen throughout history as a chain that at best is faulty and at worst contrived.

You see brother, the same charge can be made against the same person who believers God leaves salvation ultimately up to men, rather than it resting in His hands. If God can save everyone, why doesn't he? This inst' a "dilemma" for lack of a better word that is exclusive to Calvinism. I hope you understand that. If God knew from eternity past that many would reject Christ and end up in hell, why did God go ahead and create anyways, knowing this? A the end of the day, God effectually decided the fate of every single individual in history, whether you believe God simply knew in advance who would be saved, or whether you believe God chooses Hiimself who would be saved.

If you ask me, the problem at this point is not for those who think God himself chooses. Because God has his own plan and purpose, and He did all of this for His own glorification, just as Rom 9 and other places say. He makes vessels of mercy to glorify his grace, and vessels of wrath to glorify his power and justice.

If you believe the opposite (that God simply knows in advance) then the question, the elephant in the room remains: Why did God do it this way? If he didnt' do it on purpose, that means he did it for no purpose. It means it was arbitrary. It means that people go to hell randomly, for no purpose on God's part. This is the dire alternative that is left for people who don't believe God chooses for himself who is saved, for his own reasons and purposes and glorification.

The rub: God either created men he knew would go to hell for 1) A purpose or 2) no purpose.

Pick your poison?

In fact the Calvinist believes that no theodicy needs to be created here, as God speaks for himself and answers to nobody. Observe:

Pro 16:4 The LORD has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble.

Isa 45:7 I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things

Col 1:17 ... all things were created by him, and for him: ...

Isa 43:7 Do not hold them back.' Bring My sons from afar, and My daughters from the ends of the earth, everyone who is called by My name, and whom I have created for My glory, whom I have formed even whom I have made"

Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Scripturally, the grace that brings salvation has appeared to all men, and it lies on men to respond to that grace.

No disagreement there.

Grace is resistible, this is evident throughout all of Scripture and precisely why we are warned to not quench the Spirit and why many are rebuked for resisting the work of the Spirit.

No disagreement there.

God's sovereignty is not reduced by placing the burden on men to respond to His grace that enlightens the world.

No disagreement there.

Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Both conclusions can be fairly reached. Paul wasn't systematic in his theology to the degree we'd like; he uses different terms with different meansings all the time. A consistent theology from Paul is tough to get; here he says EVERY SINGLE PERSON, somewhere else he says EVERY PERSON IN CHRIST, somwehere else he says A FULL REPRESENTATION of a certain people. It really makes his ideas tough to grapple with. Thanks, Paul.

That's not so much the fault of Paul as it is your fault for not understanding that Paul wrote in the Greek language and "all" and "world" and phrases like "all men" have many definitions and understandings.

So where you assert that Paul uses different terms with different meanings..um..YES he does. that's because the word "all" and "world" for example have not just one definition, but several definitions. The NT authors employed many definitions of the words. For your argument to hold water you'd also have to charge modern day authors for being confusing for using the word "top", for example, as "top" can mean the top surface of something, or a children's toy.

Gimme a break :)

Upvote 0

Walter Kovacs

Jan 22, 2011
Florida
Visit site
✟10,124.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
In fact the Calvinist believes that no theodicy needs to be created here, as God speaks for himself and answers to nobody.

That's the point I made above; God creates people that are doomed to hell because it glorifies Him, and if you don't like it tough, He's God and your not, and you can't question God, despite the examples to the contrary in the Bible.

A the end of the day, God effectually decided the fate of every single individual in history, whether you believe God simply knew in advance who would be saved, or whether you believe God chooses Hiimself who would be saved.

Well, no. Foreknowledge does not equal action. That is a simple fact.

You see brother, the same charge can be made against the same person who believers God leaves salvation ultimately up to men, rather than it resting in His hands.

That would be true if salvation was left up to men, which, since it's not, is a moot point.

Pick your poison?

Ultimately neither of the sides (Lutheran, Calvinist, Arminian, Orthodox, Catholic) can present an answer that is 100% satisfactory. But the Calvinist non-answer is the weakest of the bunch.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.