Visit site
✟1,352,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m sharing this here with you from my time of personal devotions with my Lord Jesus Christ, for your encouragement. Sue Love

Psalms 119:49-50 ESV

“Remember your word to your servant,
in which you have made me hope.
This is my comfort in my affliction,
that your promise gives me life.”

The thing that gives me comfort in my affliction is to know that God is absolutely sovereign over all that he has made and that nothing comes into my life unless God allows it for a purpose, and he will give me all I need to endure it, and to learn from it, and to grow spiritually from it in my walk of faith in him. And the other thing is that I know God loves me and he has my best in mind, and so what he allows, he allows ultimately for my good.

I didn’t always understand that, though. I think I did intellectually, I mean I knew what the Scriptures taught, but my actions said differently. And that had a lot to do with what I experienced as a child who was severely abused by her father and emotionally neglected by her mother, although I was on friendly terms with my mom. But I was scared to death of my dad. And then I married a sex addict, and then I had pastors who mistreated me, etc.

Basically I have had a lifetime of being abused or mistreated by someone, usually by someone in a position of authority. And I used to be so fearful, and the Lord had to keep pushing me forward when I just wanted to retreat. And I was 52 years old before I finally accepted God’s sovereignty over my life and really understood his grace and his power over Satan and sin and how he won this battle for me, but I just had to live like I believed that.

And that has made all the difference in how I now respond to difficult circumstances, although this has been a learning experience for me. And sometimes I still have to remind myself that God is in control and that he has all of this under his command and that nothing can happen to me unless he allows it, and for his purposes, and for my spiritual growth and development. And I am now 72 years old, almost 73.

Psalms 119:51-53 ESV

“The insolent utterly deride me,
but I do not turn away from your law.
When I think of your rules from of old,
I take comfort, O Lord.
Hot indignation seizes me because of the wicked,
who forsake your law.”

This is interesting that this just happened to be the next passage of Scripture in my list of Scriptures I am going through, because I just happened to get into a discussion with a couple of females this evening about abuses that they had faced as children and/or that their parents had faced as children, and sexual abuse was definitely included in these discussions. But nothing “just happens.” This was God’s plan.

So, I am thinking that someone is going to be reading this today or tomorrow or on another day who has been abused by a parent or a spouse or by another person in a position of authority and/or spiritual authority, including by pastors, and not just sexually, but physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually and/or verbally in other ways, too. And perhaps that person needs to hear this for her or his healing to take place.

What I can tell you is that God allowed these things to take place in my life or they could not have happened. The Lord formed me in the womb of my mother knowing full well that I was going to be abused. He knew the man I was about to marry was a sex addict, but I didn’t know that until about 15-20 years after we had married. And he knew that I was going to be mistreated by pastors (not sexually), but he allowed it to happen.

Now there was a period of time when I gave up and I gave into my flesh and I ran from God instead of running to him in my affliction. So I can’t say that I never turned away from God’s law. I did. Sadly so. I felt like I was a basketball and people just kept slam dunking me through the hoop, or like people were just taking my head and kept pushing me down under the water hoping I would drown, and after many years, I finally caved.

When I was sinning, everyone seemed happy with me, pretty much, but when I walked with the Lord in obedience to him, then the attacks came against me. I know now this was Satan fighting hard against me to keep me from obeying the Lord. But the Lord was also allowing it to make me strong, to eventually bring me to that place where I set my face like flint (Isaiah 50:7) and I no longer let my circumstances get the best of me.

And then he called me to this ministry 18 years ago to write down what he teaches me from my times with him each day in his word and to post these writings on the internet, though it wasn’t full-time until 16 years ago. So, all this was preparation for this calling of God on my life, for if I had not gone through the things I have gone through in my life I would not be equipped and prepared for what I have had to endure to do what I am doing today.

And so now I am passionate against the wickedness of humans, for I see strongly how sin destroys people’s lives and their families and their marriages, etc. I know what it did to me. And I can see the evidence of what it has done to others, either by being sinned against, and/or because of their own sins. And so I am passionate about getting out the truth of the gospel for I know it is the truth, and if believed, it is going to set people free.

Psalms 119:54-56 ESV

“Your statutes have been my songs
in the house of my sojourning.
I remember your name in the night, O Lord,
and keep your law.
This blessing has fallen to me,
that I have kept your precepts.”

From the time I was a young child I loved the Scriptures. I believed in Jesus at about the age of 7 at summer camp. And my heart’s desire was to follow him in obedience. I took God and his word seriously at a young age and because of that I was often mocked and made fun of and/or rejected and cast aside. I was considered an odd ball, and I still am. I grew up in a home where hypocrisy of religion was prominent, and I wanted no part of that.

Other than that short period of time where I caved and I turned away from walking in obedience to the Lord to give way to my flesh, the truths of God’s word have been my counsel and my delight. And I began teaching the Scriptures at age 16, and I have taught them over a span of 50+ years, although not all the time. And I love God’s word, and I love learning from his word, and I love doing what he says to do, because HE is my delight!

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897
Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Oh, to be like Thee! full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wandering sinner to find.

O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,
Holy and harmless, patient and brave;
Meekly enduring cruel reproaches,
Willing to suffer others to save.

O to be like Thee! while I am pleading,
Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love;
Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling,
Fit me for life and Heaven above.

Oh, to be like Thee! Oh, to be like Thee,
Blessèd Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

Caution: This link may contain ads

My Testimony:
I Married My Dad

levnishbar

Aug 10, 2022
Tel Aviv
✟21,518.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
One of the things which brings me comfort in my affliction is knowing that one day when we meet God, there will be no more injustice, exploitation and evil in his presence. He will be able to fix everything that has gone wrong in our lives, and all the damage that was done to us, He will reverse and make right.

John 5:29 - some will be resurrected to life, others to condemnation.
Therefore, be on His right side! Asking for mercy in the name of His Son, recognizing that He is Lord and our Savior, and showing mercy to others.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting that I too found comfort in Psalm 119 when I was afflicted, in my case I was ill with M.E for three and a half years.

My verses which helped me were, Psalm 119 verses 67, 71 and 75. I can still remember the verse numbers after 35 years. I can also say the He has restored the years that the locust has eaten!

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the things which brings me comfort in my affliction is knowing that one day when we meet God, there will be no more injustice, exploitation and evil in his presence. He will be able to fix everything that has gone wrong in our lives, and all the damage that was done to us, He will reverse and make right.

Therefore, be on His right side! Asking for mercy in the name of His Son, recognizing that He is Lord and our Savior, and showing mercy to others.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thank you for sharing that. The Lord can and will heal us this side of heaven if we are willing and obedient, not in all things physically but in everything spiritual and emotional. He can heal our wounded hearts. And yes, one day when we are with him for eternity sin will be no more and we will be completely whole.

• Optimistic
Reactions: levnishbar
Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting that I too found comfort in Psalm 119 when I was afflicted, in my case I was ill with M.E for three and a half years.

My verses which helped me were, Psalm 119 verses 67, 71 and 75. I can still remember the verse numbers after 35 years. I can also say the He has restored the years that the locust has eaten!
I remember you sharing that with me before. Praise Jesus. Yes, he does that. Thank you for sharing that. God bless.

Upvote 0

levnishbar

Aug 10, 2022
Tel Aviv
✟21,518.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for sharing that. The Lord can and will heal us this side of heaven if we are willing and obedient, not in all things physically but in everything spiritual and emotional. He can heal our wounded hearts. And yes, one day when we are with him for eternity sin will be no more and we will be completely whole.

The healing this side of eternity is incomplete, at best.

Let's say a young family member was snatched away too early in a terror attack, planned and calculated to cause maximum casualties to innocents. What healing can there be for this?

I'm sorry but I cannot pray for my enemies in cases like this, only hate; and that they - if they are not already dead - and the people that helped them are destroyed and face hell for what they did.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,352,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The healing this side of eternity is incomplete, at best.

Let's say a young family member was snatched away too early in a terror attack, planned and calculated to cause maximum casualties to innocents. What healing can there be for this?

I'm sorry but I cannot pray for my enemies in cases like this, only hate; and that they - if they are not already dead - and the people that helped them are destroyed and face hell for what they did.
Oh, I am so saddened by this, not just that it happened, or that something like this did happen, but also that you are not able to forgive and to let God heal you. We must forgive, not that we give others permission to keep doing evil, and not that we don't set boundaries, like God does for us, but that we have to let go of the hate and bitterness or it will destroy us. And the Bible teaches that if we do not forgive that God will not forgive us, and that if we hate that we will not inherit eternal life with God. So, according to the Scriptures, if you don't forgive, and if you hold on to hate, hell will be your destiny, not heaven, and you may join the people you hope are there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

levnishbar

Aug 10, 2022
Tel Aviv
✟21,518.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I am so saddened by this, not just that it happened, or that something like this did happen, but also that you are not able to forgive and to let God heal you. We must forgive, not that we give others permission to keep doing evil, and not that we don't set boundaries, like God does for us, but that we have to let go of the hate and bitterness or it will destroy us. And the Bible teaches that if we do not forgive that God will not forgive us, and that if we hate that we will not inherit eternal life with God. So, according to the Scriptures, if you don't forgive, and if you hold on to hate, hell will be your destiny, not heaven, and you may join the people you hope are there.

There must be a balance between mercy and justice. If we are only required to be merciful and not seek justice, then why did God tell us to do both?

Micah 6:8 says "He has told you, O man, what is good, and what the Lord demands of you; but to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."

Total mercy to the point of letting anyone wrong you and forgiving freely anything and everything evil people do is also wrong, as is demanding justice without any regard for mercy.

Evil which may be done to which I believe eternal justice is due against, are shedding of innocent blood and repaying good with evil. For example, in Proverbs 17:13 If you repay good with evil, evil will never leave your house. In the eternal context of heaven and hell, would it be possible for anyone to whom evil will never leave their house, to make their abode in heaven?

Psalms 139:22 - what is perfect hatred? How is it David was able to entertain it? Even on his deathbed, David told Solomon to remember his enemies (1 Kings 2).

Revelation 6:10 - even in Heaven, the saints are crying out for justice and God to avenge them. If they had completely forgiven and forgotten what was done to them, do you think they would be crying out for justice and vengeance in heaven?

So in summary, I would say the pendulum is neither at 100% mercy and 0% justice, nor 0% mercy and 100% justice, but somewhere in between.

Upvote 0