Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Intro:

:happyblush:
Hi, My name is Kitty (Short for Karen). I grew up Christian, went to sunday school, was involved in the youth group etc.

When I started University, I began devoting less time to God and more time to study (as did my Christian friends). Once I left University, I settled for a much smaller and "quieter" Church - What I mean by quieter is less extreme. I started to make more time in my life for God, especially since moving from academia to the work place. I met a great girl at work and we began to carpool, it also happened that she worked on Sundays and would go out of her way to give me a lift to Church (How awesome!).

One day over lunch, I asked her if she's like to go to church with me, thinking I may have found a really good friend, and she told me she was an atheist :doh:. I admit, I was shocked and saddened to hear that, and replied on the defensive, "What?! Why not??!" Her reply to me was, "Kitty, Have you read the Bible?" I said "Yeah, of course! What does that have to do with anything?" :o She said, "No, have you READ read it? As in from line to line, cover to cover?" I asked "Do you mean in order?" She said, "Yes, the Holy Bible, from cover to cover, in order?"

[:bow: I'm sure people in this forum are also guilty of this. Substituting the Bible for the Daily bread. Reading what the pastor or minister spoke about last Sunday, looking for the quotes that answer or pertain to your current situation, or reading your favorite quotes. This all falls under "not reading the bible" Can you truly appreciate or understand a book by reading it that way? This is the word of GOD!]

"No, I haven't." I replied in a confident tone as if to say "I don't need to". I have been taking the bus to work and church ever since. Not because I don't think she's a nice girl, but because it's pretty awkward now. Whenever we talk, I keep finding my self wanting to convince her of God's greatness, but knowing that getting someone annoyed with you, probably has a really low conversion rate.

Out of stubbornness, I decided to take her up on her challenge, I am reading the bible from cover to cover. Plain leather bound NIV with out a study guide, or any added annotations. I'd like to share my journey as well as any questions I may have along the way.

Thank's for reading!
Peace to all my Brothers and Sisters in humanity. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76

GaryP

Apr 28, 2009
✟8,966.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Private
I would not accept the challenge. The Bible is not a chore to be read, under the critical
comments of another. I would read it as you feel lead and focus on the words of Jesus.

I'm sure people in this forum are also guilty of this. Substituting the Bible for the Daily bread

So the thoughts of this woman has caused you to make a statement that you and
many are guilty. The seed she planted has worked.

Jesus said, "It is Finished". You are free to read or not to read.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"in order"? Hm. Why in order?

Frankly, some of the last letters are very informative about the earlier books of the Bible.

I'd also point out something -- often when you're writing directly in a historical context, you don't mention the exact reasons why you dislike one or another group. For instance, we might talk about "the Nazis" or "the KKK", and make no more exposition about what these words conjure up in our minds. Someone who just happens on our history would be mystified -- someone from the 16th century would have no idea why these names are considered so malevolent. In a similar way, when you reach back into history and pull out a statement like "Kill all the Amalekites -- right down to the children and infants" -- you may find yourself mystified, too.

But there're reasonable motives for these actions, once you take certain statements at face value about what distinguishes the Israelites from the people they're attacking.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree, make sure you read the whole thing cover to cover but not necessarily in order. Personally, I'd start with the Gospel of John and read through the NT, maybe work in Psalms. Proverbs is great for 1 chapter / day as there are 31, and there's ALWAYS something applicable that comes up!

The best sermon I ever heard preached was from a little old man in his 90's no name Preacher, who was reading through the whole Bible. For like the 1,000th time. YES there was a direct connection!

Rest assured that every. single. one. of your co-worker's objections has a reasonable explanation, and it does not depend upon your own understanding. You learning the Truth WILL Glorify G-d though; not only by sharing with her (and whoever else) but by knowing Him better!

Also, reading is different from studying. We need both, and reading comes first. Get it all "in there." Be prepared for much of it to raise more questions than it answers, and keep reading. EITHER THAT OR - study one small section in depth. I say save that part for later, after you've read it all through. Maybe keep a log of your questions, to get back to later. This is a LIFE LONG endeavor, a marathon race ... and she that endures to the end shall be saved.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just so y'know, I have read the Bible. And there are indeed a whole lot of things that can be used to subvert what you think about God. All the same, it's a great book.

Leviticus and Numbers are a bear to get through, as are Chronicles with all the names and not much historical foundation. The major prophets -- whew, you really have to has a good commentary on what conditions are like, or the writings don't make much sense.

Make sense of what you read. Don't go in with the feeling that it should all sound emotionally warm & comfortable to you. If God is God, it should upset and subvert some preconceptions you may have. It certainly did that to me. Don't reject it, just because your preconceptions revolt at first.

It's not going to be all beer and skittles.

You may want to break up Leviticus and Numbers by reading them in parallel with later books -- Deuteronomy and Judges. It may give you a better feel for how Moses applies in this new land too, to read the Law books along with some of the early history in Scripture.

Keep in mind, Israel invaded a polytheistic land with violent sacraments for violent gods, with despotism more prevalent than rule of law. This 1-2 punch of law from the God Who Is There, it's writing about a very different living environment than we are in, today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have read the Bible through several times. It is good to do this to start with - then you can pick and choose, but things stay in your memory that you will pull out many times.

I then read a Chapter in the Old Test. and a Chapter in the New Test - breaking it up a little and helping to understand.

Keep in mind that it is not like a diary one Chapter followering in sequence - the Bible was written over a 1,600 year period and there are 400 years between the Old Test. and the New Test.

It will be a very good foundation for deeper study.

As for your friend - just show her the Joy of the Lord living in you and she will finally want what you have and start asking questions. Let it flow naturally, not trying to convert her - that is God's job.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reading the Bible in order is not necessarily a bad idea. I'm actually doing it too, but slowly as a secondary thing in addition to my regular devotions and Bible study. I also think it's not the best idea to do it without a study Bible or commentary to help you understand it. I'm not sure if you just started, but be aware that Genesis and Exodus are very easy to get through, but Leviticus and Numbers are a whole different ball game. Don't loose heart if you struggle there (or in some the longer poetic sections like Psalms).

Upvote 0

WretchedMan

Ambassador for Jesus Christ
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas, USA
✟7,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I encourage you on your study. Remember to always pray and seek God's knowledge and wisdom in your reading.

John 5:39,46 39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"

The scriptures testify of Jesus and He is the central figure throughout. Keep that in mind as you read and you will find some amazing things you weren't aware of. In addition you can receive knowledge and wisdom in this endeavor.

Ephesians 1:15-2115 For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, 16 I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, 18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.

Don't feel that you need to avoid or shun your friend because you don't feel you have the answer. Be honest, see if she want to join with you as you read through so you can discuss her issues. This will give you an opportunity to share the love of Jesus with her and for the Holy Spirit to work in her life and in yours. Remember, it is the Spirit that convicts and testifies to the truth about Jesus. It's not your job to convert her, it is your job to love her, pray for her, show Christ to her in your life, and share the gospel when you feel led of God to do so. You don't have to hammer her with it constantly.

2 Corinthians 4:1-7 1 Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart. 2 But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God's word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God. 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing. 4 In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5 For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. 6 For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness, " has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.

Upvote 0