My Canoe Challenge

3sigma

Jan 9, 2008
✟3,007.00
Faith
Atheist
I cut down a 1000-year-old tree, hollow it out and make a canoe out of it; all in a day's time.

How old is the canoe when I'm finished?
What a ridiculous question. A day after you finish the canoe, it is one day old.

If the wood in your brand new home came from trees that had been growing for twenty years, do you think you are living in a twenty year old home? No reasonable person thinks that way.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A day after you finish the canoe, it is one day old.
So now we have a 1-day old canoe, made from a 1000-year-old mature log.

So, in essence, we have a canoe that is mature, but without a history.

Would you say this is correct?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

Not in the slightest -- You have a brand new canoe.

Still trying to justify your embedded age rubbish, I see.

• Prayers
Reactions: ArchieRaptor
Upvote 0

3sigma

Jan 9, 2008
✟3,007.00
Faith
Atheist

No, that isn’t correct. The canoe is one day old. It is unreasonable to call the canoe mature. The canoe may have been made from mature trees, but the canoe itself is not mature.

These analogies and arguments of yours are pointless anyway. There are multiple independent dating methods showing that the Earth is much older than 6,000 years and those methods do not depend on the age of the constituent materials. To name just a few, dendrochronology does not depend on the age of the atoms and molecules that make up the wood. Ice core layers do not depend on the age of the water in the ice. Varves do not depend on the age of the minerals in the sediment. All of those independent dating methods show that the Earth is much older than 6,000 years and, as a bonus, they also show that a global flood didn’t occur within the last 10,000 years. Your ridiculous religious beliefs are flatly contradicted by reality.

• Winner
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not in the slightest -- You have a brand new canoe.
Brand new, but it doesn't lack a history?

Hmmm
Still trying to justify your embedded age rubbish, I see.
This thread has nothing to do with embedded age.

(I can always count on your zeal to ridicule me backfiring on you, can't I?)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, that isn’t correct. The canoe is one day old. It is unreasonable to call the canoe mature. The canoe may have been made from mature trees, but the canoe itself is not mature.
I find this difficult to accept, in light of the fact that trees of varying ages should necessarily produce canoes of varying tempers.

The canoe itself may not have any miles on it, but the tree that became the canoe surely was subjected to weathering.
These analogies and arguments of yours are pointless anyway. There are multiple independent dating methods showing that the Earth is much older than 6,000 years and those methods do not depend on the age of the constituent materials. To name just a few, dendrochronology does not depend on the age of the atoms and molecules that make up the wood. Ice core layers do not depend on the age of the water in the ice. Varves do not depend on the age of the minerals in the sediment. All of those independent dating methods show that the Earth is much older than 6,000 years and, as a bonus, they also show that a global flood didn’t occur within the last 10,000 years. Your ridiculous religious beliefs are flatly contradicted by reality.
Could we leave the earth and sky and Bibles and houses, etc. and so forth out of this thread please and concentrate on a canoe?

I don't want you guys to end up confusing yourselves -- (and confusing me as well).

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Brand new, but it doesn't lack a history?

Hmmm

of course it lacks a history -- it's a brand new canoe.

This thread has nothing to do with embedded age.

Trying to fool yourself, AV? because you're not doing a very good job at fooling anyone else.

This is yet another in a long string of your "physical age vs. existential age" canards -- exactly the kind of gibberish you have to force yourself to accept as gospel in order to not laugh at loud at "embedded age."

I got to tell you, AV -- you were doing better with the bicycle.

(I can always count on your zeal to ridicule me backfiring on you, can't I?)

You can count of many things, it seems, AV -- many of them hallucinatory.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
I find this difficult to accept, in light of the fact that trees of varying ages should necessarily produce canoes of varying tempers.

meaning canoes of varying levels of quality -- but not of varying ages.

Try again, AV -- try harder.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't want you guys to end up confusing yourselves -- (and confusing me as well).
The confusion originates from you. In your insistence that "science is myoptic" you assume that science / scientists do not know what to look for.

But it is you who has that problem: you do not know what to look for and as such are confused by all the informations that your myoptic mind cannot sort through.

Upvote 0

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would only lack a history if it was old enough to have a history but lacked a narrative.

A one day old canoe doesn't lack a history. It isn't old enough to have a history.
What if I were to write a biography of the canoe, and started with the tree that gave rise to the seed from which grew the tree from which the canoe was made?
Then the one day-old canoe would have a history of over three hundred years!

And why isn't "canoe" spelled "kanoo"?

:idea:

Upvote 0

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
What if I were to write a biography of the canoe, and started with the tree that gave rise to the seed from which grew the tree from which the canoe was made?
Then the one day-old canoe would have a history of over three hundred years!

:idea:

This might sound like fun, but all you're doing is encouraging AV.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A one day old canoe doesn't lack a history. It isn't old enough to have a history.
Indeed it doesn't have a history.

Yet it is one of the more mature canoes around, as far as temper is concerned.

Upvote 0

3sigma

Jan 9, 2008
✟3,007.00
Faith
Atheist
Could we leave the earth and sky and Bibles and houses, etc. and so forth out of this thread please and concentrate on a canoe?
“Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.”

Sadly, the curtain was pulled aside long ago and it revealed your ridiculous religious beliefs for what they are: unsubstantiated wishful thinking flatly contradicted by reality. Dendrochronology, ice cores and varves all show that the Earth is much older than 6,000 years and that there was no global flood within it last 10,000 years. Those are facts. It’s simple reality. If you believe something other than that then you are just deceiving yourself and living in a world of make believe.

Upvote 0