Aug 23, 2007
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Some people may know that my dad and I are not eye to eye on faith but after another one of our long-winded discussions, I kind of feel like I have less air in my chest because I talked myself to death.

Here is how it went down:

He asks me what do I get out of going to church, because I'm "not meeting people anyway." This came after he said that I was going to church too often and I only go once a week so far, not even for other gatherings. :sigh:

I told him that it helps me spiritually and he asked how. That's where it got even harder. I told him that it had to do with communion but that the "fancy" word for it was called Eucharist. He asked me how does it have to do with it. I started saying that Jesus blessed bread at the Last Supper and told us that we need to eat this bread in order to have "life." Oddly he didn't ask me what I meant by life, but he wanted me to elaborate more on what I was saying. I told him that Jesus said that this bread was his flesh that He had to give for the world, alluding to the crucifixion and that's where things kind of got weird - I told him that it's not my words but that John Chapter 6 talks about it and that many of his disciples probably thought he was crazy when he said it but that the words are clear, and that they're not my words, they're his. Of course, my dad thought this was nuts and wanted me to show him John 6 but he was getting tired and had to sleep, but in case you think this was a potential breakthrough, I'm sorry to say that it is likely not, because this is what happened after:

He started saying "this is why people convert to Islam; it's an easier religion, people can understand it." My dad thinks that religion should be simpler and asked me did other Catholics, even the "illiterate" ones, accept that this is literal and if they understood it (as if I knew the answer to the latter).

I feel like I made matters worse but I also felt that I had to give him some sort of answers. I asked him though, "Have you noticed that no one has ever put Catholics in the mental hospital because of this? It's because people know that the Scripture says it." He kind of found that amusing though.

I think I almost feel physically sick from the discussion, it took the life out of me. :sigh:

Last edited:

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I would stop discussing religion with him if all he's going to do is make fun of it. :sigh:
Telling him that I won't talk about it actually increases the tension, ironically. I'm temporarily trapped in a vortex until the discussion is over, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes members of one's own family get a pervented pleasure in winding one up and they always know exactly to wind us up. Since they enjoy doing it, the more the likely they will just keep doing it, regardless of whatever you have to say about it. I am afraid that it may be just a cross that you have to bare.

• Agree
Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Tell him the mystery of the Catholic faith boils down to essentially "you are what you eat"

Point out to him the time in the gospel of John where Jesus says "whatever you ask for in my name, the Father will grant you" - John 14 and John 15

13 And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask Me for anything in My name, I will do it.

The Liturgy is one giant prayer over the Eucharist.
upload_2022-8-15_6-55-40.png

It is the biggest prayer that has every been prayed - Jesus said we could have anything we asked for in His name, this is what the Catholic church used it for. It is the heartbeat of the Church, prayed all over the world for the last 2000 years, that we might have communion together and communion with Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Some people may know that my dad and I are not eye to eye on faith but after another one of our long-winded discussions, I kind of feel like I have less air in my chest because I talked myself to death.

He asks me what do I get out of going to church, because I'm "not meeting people anyway." This came after he said that I was going to church too often and I only go once a week so far, not even for other gatherings. :sigh:

I told him that it helps me spiritually and he asked how. That's where it got even harder. I told him that it had to do with communion but that the "fancy" word for it was called Eucharist. He asked me how does it have to do with it. I started saying that Jesus blessed bread at the Last Supper and told us that we need to eat this bread in order to have "life." Oddly he didn't ask me what I meant by life, but he wanted me to elaborate more on what I was saying. I told him that Jesus said that this bread was his flesh that He had to give for the world, alluding to the crucifixion and that's where things kind of got weird - I told him that it's not my words but that John Chapter 6 talks about it and that many of his disciples probably thought he was crazy when he said it but that the words are clear, and that they're not my words, they're his. Of course, my dad thought this was nuts and wanted me to show him John 6 but he was getting tired and had to sleep, but in case you think this was a potential breakthrough, I'm sorry to say that it is likely not, because this is what happened after:

He started saying "this is why people convert to Islam; it's an easier religion, people can understand it." My dad thinks that religion should be simpler and asked me did other Catholics, even the "illiterate" ones, accept that this is literal and if they understood it (as if I knew the answer to the latter).

I feel like I made matters worse but I also felt that I had to give him some sort of answers. I asked him though, "Have you noticed that no one has ever put Catholics in the mental hospital because of this? It's because people know that the Scripture says it." He kind of found that amusing though.

I think I almost feel physically sick from the discussion, it took the life out of me. :sigh:
Remind your father that there were eye witnesses to Christ's physical death and His resurrection, and that His words have been recorded and passed down by those very same eye witnesses. They staked their very lives and reputations on who Jesus was.
After Jesus died, they could have all walked away, but they didn't.
Nothing was more important to them than Jesus, and what He said, and what He promised.
Then ask him how many times he has gone to work, and has promised to come back home when he was done
working?
How did he expect you to believe that he was at work when you couldn't see him working?
If he goes into another room and closes the door, how do you know that he will come out of that room?
These are all examples of needing to believe what you cannot see with your eyes, and yet we don't think anything of it.
When the Sun goes down, where does it go, and will it come back up in the morning?
Your father needs to realize that he is actually trusting God in each of the examples, and to think about that.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Be patient, I feel he is genuinely interested but also very confused.

Also the chest area is anger and annoyance. Be calm and meditate with the Rosary before you talk again.

Just my suggestions.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Explain to him that Jesus literally said in ancient Greek writing to EAT His Flesh and Blood to have life [the soul] in you.

AND explain because this is such a difficult concept that His own disciples walked away but His Apostles stayed.

Then if you have the attention... and look at him in the eyes and say "Do I have your attention?"
Then show him online pictures of the 8th century Eucharist that changed and was studied by scientists, the Lanciano Miracles of the Eucharist.

Keep looking in his eyes, keep asking if he is paying attention. ASK if he has questions... that is important.
Tell him there were many miracles through out centuries of unbelievers.

Then pull up images of our Lady in Egypt over the Coptic Church that converted Muslims.

Be patient and look him in the eye and patiently speak to him. Keep him involved in what you are saying by asking if he is paying attention and or if he has questions because if he grumps over the question if he's paying attention then keep asking if he has questions...

The clue he gave you is it's hard to understand... so be patient.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tell him that the bible says that he was buried at Golgotha descrbed the place of the skull. It's still there to day and that is a place nearby with the sockets for three crosses cut in to the solid rock and they also are still there today. There are countless prophecies in the old testament concerning the life and death of Jesus and the things that He would do from hundreds and thousands of years before He lived on the earth with very specific details which He had to fullfill.

There are seven Hebrew feasts which he came to fullfill. He fullfilled the spring feasts as the suffering Messiah (who the jews know as Messiah ben Joseph - the Messiah who came to die to save His people). He will come again as the conquering king of the jews (who the jews know as Messiah ben David- The Son of David), to fullfill the autumn feasts. He is coming again very soon and most people don't realise just how soon He is coming. Those that have not chosen to accept Him before He comes will spend eterity in hell.

It's time to choose Him as your saviour and be saved or otherwise spend eternity in hell. Hell has no way out!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ayel Lee

Jul 30, 2022
Biñan
✟22,211.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would say this: Continue with what you're doing. No one knows what is happening to your father because of your discussions. No one can read another's heart except God. The fact that he listens to you is already something.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I would say this: Continue with what you're doing. No one knows what is happening to your father because of your discussions. No one can read another's heart except God. The fact that he listens to you is already something.
I agree.

As a Muslim, they are not taught the love from the Lord.
SO it would be difficult to explain that. Moreover; and sadly, they are often not taught to love others, equally sad.

Pray for him and I add him to my prayers, and Mass intentions.

• Informative
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Telling him that I won't talk about it actually increases the tension, ironically. I'm temporarily trapped in a vortex until the discussion is over, unfortunately.

In that case don't say anything. When he starts talking about that subject just put on headphones and block him out and leave the room.:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums