• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

My BPD is destroying my marriage

Shawn 222

Mar 8, 2016
Illinois
✟7,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I met a woman a little over a year ago, and fell in love. I was sure if met the most wonderful woman in the world. I absolutely adored her. It didn't take long to realize I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. Everything was great, and I asked her to marry me. I asked her parents if I could, because She was worth it. I'd never asked anyone else in 27 years to marry me... So this was a first.

...she said yes.

A few months before the wedding I changed jobs to make more money. I didn't have much money to begin with and we got a trailer and moved it to her parents lot across from their house. I was working every single day, coming to the trailer and fixing it up to get it ready to move in to. There was a wedding ahead to prepare for. I was getting stressed. I ended up starting to drink one or two beers. Bad choices... I just didn't want to be stressed.
I started to change... Or was I always this way? But she wasn't being treated the same way that I treated her before.

Fast forward, after months of a repeating pattern... Me not showing much attention, spending all the money I earn, not doing all the nice things I once used to, among many other things I don't take care of... I researched BPD and have concluded that this is what I have. I read the articles and say "this is me".

She wants a divorce. She is depressed. She says I can not change, and doesn't think that if I do change that I can make her happy. I WANT to change, and I will make a serious effort to do so. I have made an appointment to see a therapist, not to make her change her mind but because I want to fix whatever is wrong with me.

What am I asking you? First, I need your prayers. It would be great if God would completely heal me... Which I know he can. But he might not do that right away. But I need prayer for healing for me, and my wife.

I need prayer for my relationship with God. I think my BPD keeps me from being close to God. I haven't been very close or in the word for two years. I need a closeness.

If you have any input on how to fix this marriage, or myself... Please send your comments.
Thank you,
Shawn

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I met a woman a little over a year ago, and fell in love. I was sure if met the most wonderful woman in the world. I absolutely adored her. It didn't take long to realize I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. Everything was great, and I asked her to marry me. I asked her parents if I could, because She was worth it. I'd never asked anyone else in 27 years to marry me... So this was a first.

...she said yes.

A few months before the wedding I changed jobs to make more money. I didn't have much money to begin with and we got a trailer and moved it to her parents lot across from their house. I was working every single day, coming to the trailer and fixing it up to get it ready to move in to. There was a wedding ahead to prepare for. I was getting stressed. I ended up starting to drink one or two beers. Bad choices... I just didn't want to be stressed.
I started to change... Or was I always this way? But she wasn't being treated the same way that I treated her before.

Fast forward, after months of a repeating pattern... Me not showing much attention, spending all the money I earn, not doing all the nice things I once used to, among many other things I don't take care of... I researched BPD and have concluded that this is what I have. I read the articles and say "this is me".

She wants a divorce. She is depressed. She says I can not change, and doesn't think that if I do change that I can make her happy. I WANT to change, and I will make a serious effort to do so. I have made an appointment to see a therapist, not to make her change her mind but because I want to fix whatever is wrong with me.

What am I asking you? First, I need your prayers. It would be great if God would completely heal me... Which I know he can. But he might not do that right away. But I need prayer for healing for me, and my wife.

I need prayer for my relationship with God. I think my BPD keeps me from being close to God. I haven't been very close or in the word for two years. I need a closeness.

If you have any input on how to fix this marriage, or myself... Please send your comments.
Thank you,
Shawn

Trying to self diagnose yourself is risky business.

Even some mental health professionals, have trouble properly diagnosing personality disorders.

Reactions: Linet Kihonge
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

...she said yes.

Thank you,
Shawn
I think that it is HUGE that you are self aware of your condition. This is, IMO, one of the most difficult steps or hurdles in any mental illness, convincing the one who is suffering that they need help. Due to the fact that everyone lives within the reality that they exist in, in their mind, being aware that you have an issue and are not only willing to get help, but are initiating this yourself is amazing.

Upvote 0

KevinesKay

Jul 15, 2015
✟15,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lord,

Please give grace to Shawn and his new wife. I pray for their healing and restoration. Bless the quiet times that Shawn has with you, Lord. And provide him wisdom and grace to see what his wife is desiring and work on addressing that. Help him to put aside time for her; to provide that unconditional love that she so wants from him.

Marriage is challenging. But help them to not give up on each other, Lord. May this be a moment that You're grace shines through. And they will be able to look back on this time and understand that marriage is impossible unless You are at the center of it. Thank you, God. We pray and receive this in Jesus' name. Amen.

Upvote 0