timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Animals eating other animals alive is pretty standard procedure for nature, 'red in tooth and claw'. A Malthusian catastrophe is when population growth exceeds the capacity of available food resources (e.g. agriculture), forcing a catastrophic collapse back to subsistence level and decimation of the population.

If that is "standard procedure" to avoid a catastrophe......why are we not implementing the same standard on humans?

Why couldn't we at least, implement a way to curb fertility rates across the globe and reduce our population to a much more sustainable levels, even perhaps, reduce it enough that even poverty is eliminated?

Maybe science already knows that but the status quo in our world is far from science. Our world is being run by the blind.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you study something in school for most of your lifetime you will likely believe it. The Japanese people believed their emperor was a god because they were told he was. The German people were convinced that the Jews had caused their defeat in WWI. Evolution is taught without challenge in schools. It's not surprising to hear many parroting what they've been told. We were in those same classes. We heard the same lectures. We also heard a different message and we came to know that it is true; that God is Lord of the universe and that this life is only temporary.

Evolution is an attempt to explain our existence for people who don't know or refuse to believe the truth. The fact is, our actions matter and we will be judged for them. We are not the oft mutated offspring of a single cell that magically appeared. We were created by God. He created the universe in six days in its mature state and created also all living things in their mature state. He created trees bearing fruit and flocks of birds in the sky.

The uneducated ones are they who have not learned this. They continue to believe that they live in a purely physical world and the perfection of design evidenced in our world falls to blind eyes. God's miracles are neither rare nor explainable, but they remain hidden to the unsaved.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Science can explain how the brain dreams, i.e. which parts are involved and what they do, but it hasn't yet fully explained why we dream, although recent research suggests that it involves memory consolidation, reorganizing and integrating. During this process, activity occurs in many regions, including those associated with visual imagery.

There is no particular reason why dreams should make sense to the dreamer - they appear to be part of necessary 'housekeeping' in that if you are deprived of dream sleep you will become unwell, even if you get the full amount of non-dreaming sleep, and you will catch up on lost dream sleep given the opportunity. If you are woken during housekeeping dreaming, the dream imagery and symbology usually fades rapidly, but if they catch conscious attention, an attempt to generate a narrative from the traces may occur.

There seems to be more than one type of dream - in addition to the surreal nonsense type, which is associated with memory consolidation and integration, there are narrative dreams where the sleeper has a higher level of conscious awareness, sometimes reaching the fully conscious 'lucid' dream state. Narrative dreams may partly be a means of rehearsing reactions to difficult or unusual situations.

Kinda like 'defragging' eh?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But what the heck has all this to do with my post that you responded to?

Sorry if I confused you.

Based on the 'evidence' of the event I shouldn't have been upset (science).
So why was I so upset? Can science walk me through the process of becoming upset by an event that shouldn't have caused this response?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Sorry if I confused you.
Yes, so far your musing had totally nothing to do with what I said in my post.

Based on the 'evidence' of the event I shouldn't have been upset (science).
Care to cite the scientific source? Because, to be honest, I think you made that up.
So why was I so upset? Can science walk me through the process of becoming upset by an event that shouldn't have caused this response?
I don´t know that science deals in shoulds and oughts. Science deals in descriptions of reality, not in prescriptions and value judgements.
So that would be another boundary of science.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don´t know that science deals in shoulds and oughts. Science deals in descriptions of reality, not in prescriptions and value judgements.
So that would be another boundary of science.

That is my whole point. Like KWCrazy pointed out, science is great at how, but not so good at why. And most of our problems involve the why's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If you study something in school for most of your lifetime you will likely believe it. The Japanese people believed their emperor was a god because they were told he was. The German people were convinced that the Jews had caused their defeat in WWI. Evolution is taught without challenge in schools. It's not surprising to hear many parroting what they've been told. We were in those same classes. We heard the same lectures. We also heard a different message and we came to know that it is true; that God is Lord of the universe and that this life is only temporary.

Evolution is an attempt to explain our existence for people who don't know or refuse to believe the truth. The fact is, our actions matter and we will be judged for them. We are not the oft mutated offspring of a single cell that magically appeared. We were created by God. He created the universe in six days in its mature state and created also all living things in their mature state. He created trees bearing fruit and flocks of birds in the sky.

The uneducated ones are they who have not learned this. They continue to believe that they live in a purely physical world and the perfection of design evidenced in our world falls to blind eyes. God's miracles are neither rare nor explainable, but they remain hidden to the unsaved.
Math has been taught unchallenged in schools even longer.
No wonder people believe it!

• Haha
Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,530.00
Faith
Atheist
If that is "standard procedure" to avoid a catastrophe......why are we not implementing the same standard on humans?
What are you talking about? why would it be standard procedure to avoid a catastrophe?

Why couldn't we at least, implement a way to curb fertility rates across the globe and reduce our population to a much more sustainable levels, even perhaps, reduce it enough that even poverty is eliminated?
Fertility rates are declining across the world. More could probably be done if there was the political and popular will, but finding the right means is tricky - for example, China's one child imposition has had unfortunate consequences.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,530.00
Faith
Atheist
Kinda like 'defragging' eh?
Sort of - a better analogy might be going through a stack of post, binning the junk mail, shredding duplicates or stuff of no interest, and sorting the rest into appropriate folders for future reference, and so clearing a space on the table for the next day's mail.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sort of - a better analogy might be going through a stack of post, binning the junk mail, shredding duplicates or stuff of no interest, and sorting the rest into appropriate folders for future reference, and so clearing a space on the table for the next day's mail.

I can buy that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
That is my whole point. Like KWCrazy pointed out, science is great at how, but not so good at why. And most of our problems involve the why's.
No, your point must a different one. I didn´t say anything about whys and how. I talked about prescription vs. description.
Plus, science actually is great at answering whys.
Plus, your point is still completely unrelated to my post that got you started on this.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, your point must a different one. I didn´t say anything about whys and how. I talked about prescription vs. description.
Plus, science actually is great at answering whys.
Plus, your point is still completely unrelated to my post that got you started on this.

Once again, based on the evidence (no harm done) science should conclude that I shouldn't be upset, yet I was. How does science account for that?

Upvote 0