Oct 25, 2009
Nottingham, England
Visit site
✟15,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi Autumn leaf, Im sorry its taken me a while to reply.

Yes, Bruce Lee did indeed say 'Be like water my friend', he took that directly from daoist philosophy and applied it to martial arts.

However the Gospel is about inner change, changing yourself to adapt to the world rather than trying to control everything. So this is why I used the title.

Here is the synopsis of my book:

‘Being like water’ is essentially six years worth of thoughts, dreams, considerations, realisations and points of discussion which eventually developed and cohesed into something more holistic and directed. The overriding theme of this book is that following the gospel of Christ is the most effective way of adapting to the world and events in your life. It is an attempt to explain WHY this works and why it changes people’s lives for the better every day. Also to place the belief system into a wider contemporary spiritual context.

Some quotes:

“Christianity is not the church. Christianity is nothing more than a personal relationship with God manifested through your actions, choices, prayers and
through relationships with other people. It is both internal and external in nature,
as God is both internal and external in nature.This means that answers to prayer
can come either externally or internally.”[Page 12]

“When you have the grace to ask for blessings for someone else this detaches you from the desires of your own ego.”[Page31]

“Political values change to suit each situation but spiritual values are permanent and unchanging.”[Page42]

and finally a review:
"Charlie does an excellent job of sharing fundamental spiritual realizations in an easily readable context. He addresses acknowledgment and management of our EGO, which to me, is key to any relevant modern insight to spirituality and growth. I love that he does NOT lose CHRIST in his writings and reminds us of Jesus' teachings and their importance in everyday life experiences. I believe that this book was written from the heart and will be especially helpful to TRUTH seekers who are looking for a simpler approach to spiritual complexities. I fully intend to buy several more copies for my adult children, grandchildren and friends who are struggling to find meaning in a sometimes harsh and demanding world."

-

Debra Anderson

(Review from Lulu.com)

Basically I wanted to explain the benefits of following the Gospel of Christ in philosophical terms and demystify it to the average person, believer or not. No church language which can exclude, just the essence of why it works, because quite simply most people dont understand it at all. All they see is the church, and not christ, a religion and not salvation, politics, not true spirituality, controlling organisation, not freedom.

Most people who get my book to date are atheists or agnostics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

farlyf

Oct 25, 2009
Nottingham, England
Visit site
✟15,115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Latest review:

At first I was disappointed. But that had more to do with me than the book. I thought the book was going to draw parallels between Bruce Lee and Jesus. In this post-Victorian age where Jesus is thought of as a pacifist hippie who wears a dress, carries sheep and does aroma therapy I was hoping to see a cage fighter Jesus. “Step into the Octagon with the Messiah!” No, this book is not Bruce Lee despite the title.
My disappointment did not last long however. This book isn’t so much Bruce Lee as it is Confucius in style. It is a book filled with proverbial statements that are often styled in a semi-Asiatic and reflective way. They cover politics, spirituality and of course, God. Though you may occasionally disagree with some of Fox’s reflections, you cannot escape the fact that he points to a personal walk with God as the answer. Fox has no appetite for, as he puts it “organised religion”. His appetite is for God. Like a good fighter Fox breaks through many of the stereotypes and heresies that modern culture so foolishly clings to but does so in a matter of fact way- like an athlete who doesn’t stop for a rest, cause frankly, he isn’t sweating. His style is not rude, yet to the point.
This book is ideal for those who embrace haikus, martial arts and Zen poetry. It can serve as a bridge building book between yourself and one who might not pick up the latest Rick Warren book. This book has the courage to be different and such books are what is needed today.

-Joshua Jones
Youth and Student Leader,
St.Nics Church, Nottingham

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums