Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In Bewitched, Mr. Stephens counted on myopics and incredulity to hide his wife's supernatural talents, should they be accidentally observed.

An excellent example is Mrs. Kravitz, who lived across the street and actually observed with her own eyes what was happening, but couldn't convince her husband, who thought she was loosing her mind ... despite the fact that it was he, not she, that was in the wrong.

What can be done that can prevent science from making this mistake in real life?

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟325,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, that's interesting but it was a TV show. Is there real science proving there's a bunch of wives out there with mystical powers and twitching noses?

If so, let me know. It would make housecleaning a lot easier.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is there real science proving there's a bunch of wives out there with mystical powers and twitching noses?
Ask the Mr. Kravitz' of the science world.

• Haha
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would I bother?
Well ... seeing as you're the one who asked.

Heaven forbid I would get an answer to my challenge, and not questions, eh?

My answer to your question ... and then please don't feel like you have to answer mine ... is a resounding NO.

There is no real science proving, or even demonstrating ... mystical [sic] powers.

That's because science is myopic and runs on incredulity.

• Winner
Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟325,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well ... seeing as you're the one who asked.

Heaven forbid I would get an answer to my challenge, and not questions, eh?

My answer to your question ... and then please don't feel like you have to answer mine ... is a resounding NO.

There is no real science proving, or even demonstrating ... mystical [sic] powers.

That's because science is myopic and runs on incredulity.

I often wonder when I see stuff like this: Are you inventing something, working on inventing something, thinking about inventing something or just throwing stuff out here?

For me, and bless your heart, this is totally ridiculous based on a 1960 - something sitcom and I don't do witchcraft. That's very odd to bring up in a Christian forum as well. You are trying to combine witchcraft with some kind of theory about some kind of technology that won't work.

God bless you.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I often wonder when I see stuff like this: Are you inventing something, working on inventing something, thinking about inventing something or just throwing stuff out here?

For me, and bless your heart, this is totally ridiculous based on a 1960 - something sitcom and I don't do witchcraft. That's very odd to bring up in a Christian forum as well. You are trying to combine witchcraft with some kind of theory about some kind of technology that won't work.

God bless you.
Either that, or I'm simply trying to get those who rely on the scientific method to push Satan's agenda here that their science is myopic.

If I was a real scientist ... and an honest one ... (there's a contradiction in terms) ... and I read this challenge ... I would reply with one word:

Nothing.

The rest can ... well ... just ask questions and make empty remarks.

IOW, carry on as usual.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟325,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Either that, or I'm simply trying to get those who rely on the scientific method to push Satan's agenda here that their science is myopic.

If I was a real scientist ... and an honest one ... (there's a contradiction in terms) ... and I read this challenge ... I would reply with one word:

Nothing.

The rest can ... well ... just ask questions and make empty remarks.

IOW, carry on as usual.

Did I pass?

• Haha
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, that's interesting but it was a TV show. Is there real science proving there's a bunch of wives out there with mystical powers and twitching noses?

If so, let me know. It would make housecleaning a lot easier.

Real science doesn't "prove" anything. It only makes predictions about future experiments or observations. For example, there were a handful of scientific predictions about the expansion of the universe due to the big bang and literally none of them have been correct. Even the difficult reality of accelerating expansion is beginning to crumble.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
In Bewitched, Mr. Stephens counted on myopics and incredulity to hide his wife's supernatural talents, should they be accidentally observed.

An excellent example is Mrs. Kravitz, who lived across the street and actually observed with her own eyes what was happening, but couldn't convince her husband, who thought she was loosing her mind ... despite the fact that it was he, not she, that was in the wrong.

What can be done that can prevent science from making this mistake in real life?
I assume you're casting Christians, or God, as the witch here? Remind me, what was the Christian view of witches in Salem 1692/3?

In the program, Samantha is very careful not be be seen and leaves no evidence of her shenanigans. For some reason there is a distinct need to deceive normal mortals. I'd say the obvious solution to the problem is for those with supernatural powers to stop being so deceitful and get things out in the open.

• Agree
Reactions: Skreeper
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's because science is myopic and runs on incredulity

Nothing.

If only you'd practice what you preach and abandon all the fruits of the scientific endeavours you seem to dislike so much. Try throwing your satanic computer out of the window for a start.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

There is nothing myopic about science. Its concern is with the physical world, and nothing else. If creationists find some of its discoveries disconcerting - well, that's just tuff.

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Its concern is with the physical world, and nothing else.
That is correct.
If the earth had a supernatural beginning there is no possible way for science to ever discover the truth. Science will never discover how to make an ax head float, how to walk on water or how to revive people three days dead. Just as science cannot show how these things are possible, it cannot show they didn't happen. Science cannot disprove a six day creation, only offer possibilities that conform to natural law. Science cannot disprove a 6,000 year old earth, only give their own interpretations based in conformity to natural law. Where science fans are wrong is that they don't realize that there are other alternatives.

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That is correct.
If the earth had a supernatural beginning there is no possible way for science to ever discover the truth. Science will never discover how to make an ax head float, how to walk on water or how to revive people three days dead. Just as science cannot show how these things are possible, it cannot show they didn't happen. Science cannot disprove a six day creation, only offer possibilities that conform to natural law. Science cannot disprove a 6,000 year old earth, only give their own interpretations based in conformity to natural law. Where science fans are wrong is that they don't realize that there are other alternatives.

You are coming perilously close to postulating the God who deliberately plants false evidence to mislead scientists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are coming perilously close to postulating the God who deliberately plants false evidence to mislead scientists.
Only those who can't read his very detailed explanation of how He did it.
Don't blame God because you reject His word and make your own explanation of how the earth came into being. He told us very specifically.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Don't blame God because you reject His word and make your own explanation of how the earth came into being. He told us very specifically.
Right. This is not about God, not about theists versus atheists, it's about the Bible, as usual.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

No he didn't. He inspired a text which identifies himself as the creator of all that is, leaving no space for pagan deities to play a role, which highlights the special role of humans as the custonians of his earthly creation, outlines their responsibllities towards God, and so on.

What it most certainly does not do is deliver a physics or biology lesson.

• Winner
Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Right. This is not about God, not about theists versus atheists, it's about the Bible, as usual.
Wrong as usual. You need to follow the thread. The statement was made and agreed to that science concerns itself only with the physical world. It was stipulated that, given that, science could not possibly account for a supernatural creation which is what is claimed and stated through the Scriptures. It was further pointed out that the story of creation was very unambiguous; that God wasn't deceiving anyone. That was what was being commented upon.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.