a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,555.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My Aliens challenge
Let us suppose that aliens exist and land on Earth. They can’t communicate with humans, so can’t read the bible, can’t read “On the Origin of Species”. The see the Earth with eyes that aren’t influenced or nudged in one way or the other. But they are very good at measuring things. How old do you think they will estimate the age of the Earth.
Please explain you reason for your answer.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My Aliens challenge
Let us suppose that aliens exist and land on Earth. They can’t communicate with humans, so can’t read the bible, can’t read “On the Origin of Species”. The see the Earth with eyes that aren’t influenced or nudged in one way or the other. But they are very good at measuring things. How old do you think they will estimate the age of the Earth.

They will estimate the age of the earth accordind to their own theories of origins.

That is if they believed in a recent creation they will asign a recent date, while if they believe that everything happened very slowly they will give an old date.

You don't need devices like an alien visitor.
Look at the evidence with a willingness to read ideas that are contrary to your own.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,555.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They will estimate the age of the earth accordind to their own theories of origins.

That is if they believed in a recent creation they will asign a recent date, while if they believe that everything happened very slowly they will give an old date.

Look at the evidence with a willingness to read ideas that are contrary to your own.
1) Why would they “estimate” – I said measuring – the age of the earth according to their theory of origin and not according to the collected data?
2) You seem to suggest that our fictional aliens establish a theory first and then cherry pick the data that fits the chose theory. The challenge was that they start measuring without any preconceived outcome in mind. Just go there where the evidence leads them.
3) If – as you state – they believe in a recent creation, on what reason would they do that?
4) If I have to look at the evidence, what evidence is there in your opinion, and what conclusion can we make about the age of the earth?
5) What are my ideas, what are the ideas contrary to mine, and why would they have value? Are you stating that I am wrong? On what do you base that assessment?

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,555.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

1) Why would they “estimate” – I said measuring – the age of the earth according to their theory of origin and not according to the collected data?
2) You seem to suggest that our fictional aliens establish a theory first and then cherry pick the data that fits the chose theory. The challenge was that they start measuring without any preconceived outcome in mind. Just go there where the evidence leads them.
3) If – as you state – they believe in a recent creation, on what reason would they do that?
4) If I have to look at the evidence, what evidence is there in your opinion, and what conclusion can we make about the age of the earth?
5) What are my ideas, what are the ideas contrary to mine, and why would they have value? Are you stating that I am wrong? On what do you base that assessment?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Aliens challenge
Assuming their years are the same as ours, I would say they would measure the earth's age at 4.375 billion years old.

That's how old the zircon crystals of Australia, the oldest known objects on earth, are.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My Aliens challenge

Yes like @AV1611VET I also expect an old Earth since I follow the work of Creationist Hugh Ross on this sort of thing.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,555.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Assuming their years are the same as ours, I would say they would measure the earth's age at 4.375 billion years old.

That's how old the zircon crystals of Australia, the oldest known objects on earth, are.

images

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The challenge was that they start measuring without any preconceived outcome in mind. Just go there where the evidence leads them.

Any Alien caperble of crossing interstella space will have there own theory/beliefs about origins.

If you want to investigate the age of the earth then read up on radio active dating and the assumptions that have to be made.

YesI believe that my believes are correct and that your, I assume long ages, are incorrect. Just as you assume your believes are correct and mine are incorrect.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Any alien capable of crossing interstellar space will have their own theory/beliefs about origins.
Why?

Would God tell us one thing, and them another?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Since their planet is not tectonically active [I assert], they'll look in wonder and surprise at our moving jigsaw puzzle of a world. After noticing the nice fit between South America and Africa, and measuring the seafloor spread in the mid-Atlantic at 4 blurbits per orbital period, and the distance between the two coasts at about 800 megablurbits, they'll determine an approximate minimum age of 200 million orbital periods.

Later, after they steal the moon, they'll find the isotopic abundances in it indicate a much older date for the Earth-moon system.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since their planet is not tectonically active [I assert], they'll look in wonder and surprise at our moving jigsaw puzzle of a world. After noticing the nice fit between South America and Africa, and measuring the seafloor spread in the mid-Atlantic at 4 blurbits per orbital period, and the distance between the two coasts at about 800 megablurbits, they'll determine an approximate minimum age of 200 million orbital periods.

Later, after they steal the moon, they'll find the isotopic abundances in it indicate a much older date for the Earth-moon system.
Of course, this will all be after they try nineteen times to get their data to achieve scientific consensus.

Eventually they'll readjust the rate of moon dust falling on the moon, move the magnetosphere decay rate around eight times, ocean salinity, decimal point, and fifty-seven other things, until their computers stop going 404 and they have one complete coherent picture, where all scientific branches are in complete agreement (plus or minus ten degrees of magnitude), then they'll claim any common person, who can just barely afford a fancy calculator, is a complete moron for not taking what they tell them on faith, sight unseen.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
then they'll claim any common person, who can just barely afford a fancy calculator, is a complete moron for not taking what they tell them on faith, sight unseen.

Did you get sour milk in your corn flakes this morning?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why?

Would God tell us one thing, and them another?

My personal opinion is that as evolution is false there are no aliens out there, so I'm hummouring an atheist.

As a sci fi theme I think the plot of a spaceship is detected, tracked into Earth orbit a shuttle lands and aliens emege.
To the surprise of the waiting army, journalists, scientists etc there opening words are
" Please can you tell us about Jesus ? "

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,942.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
My Aliens challenge
I wouldn't have a clue prior to observing that event because its unpredictable. It would be a very exciting event .. great opportunity to learn about ourselves and the way we conceive the universe.

Any explanations I would give for how old I think they would estimate the age of the Earth, just tells about what humans already think about that question.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Aliens challenge
I for one would welcome our new Alien Overlords.
Hmmm -- let's see:
  1. can't communicate with humans
  2. can't read the Bible
  3. can't read Preservation of Favoured Races
  4. see us differently
  5. very good at measuring things
And you would welcome them as "overlords"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,959.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
My Aliens challenge

They would already know before they even
entered the solar system.

Reactions: Walk together
Upvote 0