Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God tells Abraham to offer his only son Isaac on an altar.

Years later we see Isaac having children and living a good life.

And in fact, Paul even says ...

Galatians 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

What went wrong?

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

What went wrong?
What went wrong is that Abraham set out to murder his son. Attempted murder is wrong, even if you stop before you actually pull the trigger.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What went wrong is that Abraham set out to murder his son. Attempted murder is wrong, even if you stop before you actually pull the trigger.
Moses the lawgiver wouldn't show up til later, so technically, there may have been no "murder" in the tribe.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Moses the lawgiver wouldn't show up til later, so technically, there may have been no "murder" in the tribe.
It is my opinion that killing children as a sacrifice to God is wrong. Even if one is living in a land where there is no law against murder, murder is still wrong. So yes, I think it was wrong for Abraham to set out to offer his son as a burnt sacrifice to God.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is my opinion that killing children as a sacrifice to God is wrong. Even if one is living in a land where there is no law against murder, murder is still wrong. So yes, I think it was wrong for Abraham to set out to offer his son as a burnt sacrifice to God.
Murder's a legal concept regardless of your personal opinion about it. There's either a law defining it and prohibiting it or there isn't.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Murder's a legal concept regardless of your personal opinion about it. There's either a law defining it and prohibiting it or there isn't.
In my opinion, taking your son, plunging a knife through him to kill him, and offering him up as a burnt sacrifice to God is wrong.

Do you agree that it is wrong?

• Agree
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In my opinion, taking your son, plunging a knife through him to kill him, and offering him up as a burnt sacrifice to God is wrong.

Do you agree that it is wrong?
My son? Yes.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟52,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abraham believed God would provide a sacrifice. He believed God would stop him and that Issac's life spared.
In verse 4 of Genesis 22 he told his 2 servants that he and the boy would be back.
He was walking in faith and God rewarded him richly.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Abraham believed God would provide a sacrifice. He believed God would stop him and that Issac's life spared.
In verse 4 of Genesis 22 he told his 2 servants that he and the boy would be back.
He was walking in faith and God rewarded him richly.

Wait, Genesis 22 say God told him to take his son and offer him up as a burnt sacrifice to God. It is wrong to offer up your children on an alter as a burnt sacrifice to God. Do you agree with me that it is wrong to offer up children as a burnt sacrifice to God?

And Genesis 22:10 says "Abraham put forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son." Do you agree with me that it is wrong to lay your son on an alter and take out your knife to slay your son?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grafted In

Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟52,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wait, Genesis 22 say God told him to take his son and offer him up as a burnt sacrifice to God. It is wrong to offer up your children on an alter as a burnt sacrifice to God. Do you agree with me that it is wrong to offer up children as a burnt sacrifice to God?

And Genesis 22:10 says "Abraham put forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son." Do you agree with me that it is wrong to lay your son on an alter and take out your knife to slay your son?

Refer to my first post.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What went wrong?

Nothing.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It would be wrong for you or me to do it...yeah, I agree there....BUT, you always forget the BUT, the reason why God had Abraham do it.

Do you know why?

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It would be wrong for you or me to do it...yeah, I agree there....BUT, you always forget the BUT, the reason why God had Abraham do it

Do you know why?
Ok it is wrong for you to kill your son as a sacrifice to God. We are making progress. Is it wrong for everybody to kill their sons as a sacrifice to God?

The bible does not say why God asked him to set out to kill his son.

But I am quite certain a righteous God would not ask either you or Abraham to kill your son.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Nothing went wrong?!? Attempts to kill another person as a sacrifice to God is not something wrong? I disagree. If a person were to attempt to kill his son, I would say something very wrong happened.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok it is wrong for you to kill your son as a sacrifice to God. We are making progress. Is it wrong for everybody to kill their sons as a sacrifice to God?

The bible does not say why God asked him to set out to kill his son.

But I am quite certain a righteous God would not ask either you or Abraham to kill your son.

It was about Gods promise and a test for Abraham. Sorry you don't understand.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nothing went wrong?!? Attempts to kill another person as a sacrifice to God is not something wrong? I disagree. If a person were to attempt to kill his son, I would say something very wrong happened.

being a humanist and someone who doesn't understand...you might have a point.
BUT...when you understand the verse...what God was doing...your point fails.

• Agree
Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It was about Gods promise and a test for Abraham. Sorry you don't understand.
Understood that it was a test of Abraham. But what you forgot to mention is that it was a test to see if Abraham was willing to do something that would be morally wrong for you and I to do. And according to Genesis 22 Abraham demonstrated that he would go to the point where he would do something I consider morally wrong for anybody, he would go to the point where he would kill his son and burn the body of his son on an alter as a sacrifice to God if commanded to do that.

So I wonder if you agree with me that it is morally wrong for anybody to take his son and lay him on an alter, and then take out his knife and kill that son. Is that morally wrong? I say it is.

It would be wrong for you or me to do it...yeah, I agree there....BUT, you always forget the BUT, the reason why God had Abraham do it.
So the test is if Abraham would do that which would be morally wrong for you and I to do? Why would God test Abraham to see if he would do something that would be morally wrong for you and I to do? If it is morally wrong for you and I to do what Abraham did, why is it not morally wrong for Abraham to do it?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.