• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

My 6-year-old just had his first encounter with racism

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by SummerMadness, Jun 22, 2021.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+11,577
    Catholic
    My 6-year-old just had his first encounter with racism
    I know many people go through a cycle of guilt because they question what could they have done to avoid the situation because they believe they can do just the right actions to prevent the problem in the first place. Having faith, resolve and hope do much to keep you moving forward.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,342
    Christian
    Married
    It's not over, dude, ... but, perhaps it will be better ...

3. Quid est Veritas?

Quid est Veritas? In Memoriam to CS Lewis

+9,079
    Protestant
    Married
    That is not racism. That is just a bunch of kids creating boundaries and examining differences between self and other. You don't need to make a mountain out of a molehill, instead of just being the level-headed adult and guiding them.

A few years ago my son was upset in the bath when he couldn't wash off his tan. His closest friend at the time was a Coloured (in the ethno-cultural South African context) boy, and he essentially assumed that is how one gets different skintones. This was his dearest friend, and him not wanting to look as dark as him, was not some big rejection or deep-seated racist programming, rather fear of change if anything. There is no need to overevaluate the interactions of kids, or read them as symptomatic of big issues at that age, when they are simply navigating understanding basic human interactions. The kid's card illustrates it perfectly.

People are just being silly... and childish.

4. ReesePiece23

ReesePiece23 The Peanut Buttery Member.

+4,823
    Christian
    The reverse of that happened to me and my sister when we went to school in London. At that time it was considered unusual for white kids to go to this particular school. My sister actually got stabbed with a compass and was nicknamed "white bread".

I'm sure they feel guilty for it now IF they even remember. I'm sure they probably don't and have grown into fine people. The nasty kids always seem to in the end.

5. SummerMadness

+11,577
    Catholic
    Nah, it's racism.

6. SummerMadness

+11,577
    Catholic
    Yeah, kids are ultimately innocent, they are merely a reflection of their environment. Depending on their home life, it will definitely affect their feelings of rightness or wrongness when they grow up.