• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Must we keep the Law?

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by Susan, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulewog

paulewog Father of Insanity; Child of Music.

+369
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I'm not honestly sure what the Bible says about what message is preached in the last days. However, I do know that there are last days, and signs leading up to it (especially increased trouble in the world and more pushing towards world peace, world religion, world government, etc).

The passage you quoted, Jeremiah 23:6, starts really at verse 5.

That is, it would seem obvious to me, talking about the millenium - notice that it says He will reign as King. :)

2. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

+21
    Non-Denom
    Yeah I know, but notice "He shall be called the Lord our righteousness". ie that's what ppl will be saying abt him.

Why not the Lord our healer, the Lord our creator, the Lord our provider, or some other title....

anyway, just a thot

3. paulewog

+369
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I don't know. Maybe the others will be obvious in that time. ;) No, I don't really know... I think it's interesting that they say He is OUR righteousness. Sure, He is righteousness, but you don't hear people say He's OUR righteousness very often. Perhaps it is saying a lot of people will be Christians or something? :)

4. Elijah

Elijah Berean

+0
    We are no longer under the Law. We are under the New Covenant which has many of the things in the Old repeated.

Elijah (Heb 8:13)

5. allieisme

allieisme I am ME

+344
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Republican
    I thought we were to follow the law of the NT..I might be wrong so dont jump down my throat please, as I'm still new to reading the Bible and such

Allison

6. paulewog

+369
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Much of the law, like not murdering and no adultery, is reiterated in the New Testament.

What we don't have to follow is that we have to sacrifice, we have to do this and that, in order to be saved. In the OT, doing all those things were how they showed (supposedly, some went through the motions, just as they do today) their obedience to God.

We are not under that Law anymore though.

I probably confused you, but I tried. :D

7. seebs

seebs God Made Me A Skeptic

+1,462
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    Actually, I'm curious: Can anyone point to specific verses that do a good job of describing what, if any, of the law still holds, or what the new laws are?

8. paulewog

+369
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Jesus talked a lot about it. He said He came to fulfill the law. He said that the grweatest commandment is to love thy neighbor as thyself.

Galatians is *all* about Law+Grace=False. :)

9. sevusan

sevusan New Member

+0
    I read in Galatians 3:23 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed.' v24 reads so the law was put in charge to lead us to christ that we might be justified by faith. v25 reads now that faith has come we are no longer under the suprvision of the law. niv version

in the kjv it reads, v23 but before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up into the faith which should afterwards be revealed. v24 reads, Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.v25 reads, but after that faith is come, we are no longer under a shoolmaster.

but please read before and after as paulewog stated.

10. Apologist

Apologist 2 Tim. 2:24-26

+10
    Christian
    Not at all!

For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. (Romans 6:14)

Read Romans, especially chapters 2-6 carefully and you will see what it teaches on this subject.
    It is not possible to keep the law anyhow and that is why Christ had to pay the penalty for us.

Also read Galatians chapter 5.

James 2:10 says:

For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.
    The law demands absolute perfection which we cannot attain in this space-time continuum.

God Bless

11. Apologist

Apologist 2 Tim. 2:24-26

+10
    Christian
    Hi Seebs.

You have to remember that much of the law given through Moses was related to God's direct rule over the people which is called a Theocracy. They had to obey ceremonial laws as well as the moral laws. The moral laws will always apply such as not stealing, murdering, coveting, etc.
    The laws concerning the sabbath, unclean animals, etc are all related to Israel's covenant under God's direct rule as stated earlier and do not apply to us.
    I hope this helps.

God Bless

12. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "if any, of the law still holds, or what the new laws are? "

See matt 22:34-40 :)

13. hopeofglory10

hopeofglory10 New Member

+0
    All the 10 commandments are repeated in the new testament except keep the sabbath day. Just thought you'd like to know.

14. paulewog

+369
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    That is what I thought I remebered, hopeofglory, but I wasn't sure if I remembered it right or not. :)

15. solo66 man

solo66 man Well-Known Member

+2
    This is correct, but another difference is not to be as the Pharasees and Sadusee. That is, they were strict followers of the law, but not lovers of the law. This is why they were called white washed. Outside, like many Christians today, they look stainless, but inside is the heart of stone. This is why we are instructed to be living sacrifices. To keep our eyes on Jesus, and to let Him work through us; not work for Him, not do His work, not work like Him, but He is the one to operate through us. In this way, the law is not abolished but truely is fulfilled.

16. Reformationist

Reformationist Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam

+412
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The Christian is free from the law as a system of salvation:

Rom. 6:14
    For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Rom 7:4
    Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another--to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.

1 Cor. 9:20
    and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law;

Galatians 2:15-19
    We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.
    "But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God.

Galatians 3:25
    But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

BUT, the Christian is "under law toward Christ" as a rule of life:

1 Cor 9:21
    to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law;

Galatians 6:2
    Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

God bless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.