Must-reads to learn the basics of Catholicism?

Not Perfect

May 13, 2020
Kirksville
✟16,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Greetings from the Protestant camp!

I am a non-denominational Protestant who has recently begun to doubt some of the tenets of the faith I grew up with. I have become quite confused and despondent, as Protestant Christianity no longer seems to stand up to intense philosophical scrutiny, and I have felt adrift and not sure if the faith of my childhood holds up anymore. Concurrently with this mini dark night of the soul, I have recently begun listening to EWTN radio, and some of the things I have heard have restored my faith in Christianity. Based on what I have learned from the radio and what little I have read on the internet, it seems like Catholicism answers many of the doubts I had about Protestant Christianity.

Long story short, I want to learn more about Catholicism, but I don't really know where to start. There's just so much rich history, tradition, and doctrine that I feel kind of lost whenever I try to read around. What books or other works would you guys recommend for someone who is almost entirely ignorant of Catholicism but wants to know what the Catholic Church is all about? I would like to learn about Church history as well as dogma.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Michie

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’d recommend Catholicism for Dummies. Anything that Scott Hahn or Karl Keating wrote and the Catechism. Catholic Answers comes in handy too. I’m a convert from Protestantism as well. :)

• Useful
Reactions: Not Perfect
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I’d recommend Catholicism for Dummies. Anything that Scott Hahn or Karl Keating wrote and the Catechism. Catholic Answers comes in handy too. I’m a convert from Protestantism as well. :)
I endorse the above. And I add anything by Frank Sheed, GK Chesterton, Thomas Howard, Peter Kreeft, and also Vatican II. If you have any issue with the Church's position on contraception then anything by Janet Smith. Oh, and the encyclicals of pope John Paul II are significant Christian documents of the last hundred years. Find and read 'Veritas Splendor' for starters.

And don't totally dis your Protestant past. It's what got you here.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟755,050.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I suggest you bookmark the Catechism of the Catholic Church on your web browser. That way if you want to look up the definite teaching of the Catholic Church on just about any topic, it will be there in summary form whenever you want to look at it. That way you've got the bona fide teaching of the church, and not what some other Protestant denomination might tell you is the teaching.

You can also buy it in book form.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - Table of Contents

And don't totally dis your Protestant past. It's what got you here.

I agree with this comment by "chevyontheriver". I doubt if I'd have become Catholic without first having been taught much of the faith by a Protestant Church, and in particular an outstanding pastor, who also predicted I'd become Catholic.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟330,308.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would suggest Ralph Martin's "The Fulfillment of all Desire." The great Catholic mystics are rich in our path toward holiness, but they can be challenging to read. Martin takes the works of St. Catherine of Sienna, St. Bernard of Clairvaux, St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Augustine, and St. Francis de Sales and follows them in parallel in the different stages of spiritual development in a very readable text. It really introduces you to Catholic spiritual thought and our journey towards growth in holiness that will end in our union with God.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Greetings from the Protestant camp!

I am a non-denominational Protestant who has recently begun to doubt some of the tenets of the faith I grew up with. I have become quite confused and despondent, as Protestant Christianity no longer seems to stand up to intense philosophical scrutiny, and I have felt adrift and not sure if the faith of my childhood holds up anymore. Concurrently with this mini dark night of the soul, I have recently begun listening to EWTN radio, and some of the things I have heard have restored my faith in Christianity. Based on what I have learned from the radio and what little I have read on the internet, it seems like Catholicism answers many of the doubts I had about Protestant Christianity.

Long story short, I want to learn more about Catholicism, but I don't really know where to start. There's just so much rich history, tradition, and doctrine that I feel kind of lost whenever I try to read around. What books or other works would you guys recommend for someone who is almost entirely ignorant of Catholicism but wants to know what the Catholic Church is all about? I would like to learn about Church history as well as dogma.

Thanks in advance!

I was born Catholic, but became protestant as I did not understand the faith. I came home to the Catholic Church when I discovered that there is no biblical reason to not be Catholic. It was by the Lord's mercy that I made it back home. God continues to show me mercy, as I work past my heretical beliefs.
The Catholic church is the one faith that was founded by Jesus Christ Himself when He gave Peter the keys to the kingdom of heaven. I like the website Churchmilitant.com. Michael Voris has firm yet genuine style. He has several videos on Catholicism that are worth watching. The series titled the One True Faith is especially good. He helps me to gain understanding, but the source for understanding is the Catechism of the Catholic church.
It is important to know that the Catholic church is a monarchy. God rules a kingdom, not a democracy. The deposit of faith is once delivered to the saints.
May God bless you, and we are glad you are here

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was born Catholic, but became protestant as I did not understand the faith. I came home to the Catholic Church when I discovered that there is no biblical reason to not be Catholic. It was by the Lord's mercy that I made it back home. God continues to show me mercy, as I work past my heretical beliefs.
The Catholic church is the one faith that was founded by Jesus Christ Himself when He gave Peter the keys to the kingdom of heaven. I like the website Churchmilitant.com. Michael Voris has firm yet genuine style. He has several videos on Catholicism that are worth watching. The series titled the One True Faith is especially good. He helps me to gain understanding, but the source for understanding is the Catechism of the Catholic church.
It is important to know that the Catholic church is a monarchy. God rules a kingdom, not a democracy. The deposit of faith is once delivered to the saints.
May God bless you, and we are glad you are here
I used to think Michael Voris was a bit off the rails but have gained a bit more appreciation for him the past year or two. Still leery but he’s been pretty spot on.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I used to think Michael Voris was a bit off the rails but have gained a bit more appreciation for him the past year or two. Still leery but he’s been pretty spot on.

He goes after the hierarchy very hard, but he also exposes the errors of SSPX and sedavacantists. He is a staunch defender of the Catholic faith. He recognizes Vatican II as a legitimate council, though its documents were ambiguous
I like his series on church teaching. His expose on Freemasonry, his talks and analysis of Catholic Church teaching on contraception and Humana Vitae are great.

The Catechism teaches in paragraph 1584 that in the sacrament of Holy Orders, Christ Himself acts regardless of the worthiness of the minister. The Church may have bad ministers, but that does not prevent Christ from acting through them to lead His church to salvation.

I would love to hear more of what you think of Mr Voris and the subjects he talks about

may God bless you

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He goes after the hierarchy very hard, but he also exposes the errors of SSPX and sedavacantists. He is a staunch defender of the Catholic faith. He recognizes Vatican II as a legitimate council, though its documents were ambiguous
I like his series on church teaching. His expose on Freemasonry, his talks and analysis of Catholic Church teaching on contraception and Humana Vitae are great.

The Catechism teaches in paragraph 1584 that in the sacrament of Holy Orders, Christ Himself acts regardless of the worthiness of the minister. The Church may have bad ministers, but that does not prevent Christ from acting through them to lead His church to salvation.

I would love to hear more of what you think of Mr Voris and the subjects he talks about

may God bless you
Well it depends on my signal. I live in the boonies where it is pretty much a technological black hole. Ask me something and I’ll do my best to answer to my knowledge.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well it depends on my signal. I live in the boonies where it is pretty much a technological black hole. Ask me something and I’ll do my best to answer to my knowledge.

you said you thought he was off the rails, but gained appreciation, but are still leery.
What makes you say that?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
you said you thought he was off the rails, but gained appreciation, but are still leery.
What makes you say that?
I thought when he was a new convert he was trying to undermine the Church. Honestly. I thought he was a Protestant bringing his anti-Catholic views into the Church for whatever reason and things starting coming out that supported his views. It was not very comforting but the facts supported what he objected to.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I would suggest Ralph Martin's "The Fulfillment of all Desire." The great Catholic mystics are rich in our path toward holiness, but they can be challenging to read. Martin takes the works of St. Catherine of Sienna, St. Bernard of Clairvaux, St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Augustine, and St. Francis de Sales and follows them in parallel in the different stages of spiritual development in a very readable text. It really introduces you to Catholic spiritual thought and our journey towards growth in holiness that will end in our union with God.
Ralph Martin's got his head on straight. I agree. I've been reading him for a long time.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ralph Martin's got his head on straight. I agree. I've been reading him for a long time.

You post about paragraph 675, as well as your quote from CS Lewis reminded me of the Office of Readings for today

Second Reading
From a sermon of St Bernard of Clairvaux

The word of the Lord will come to us
We know that the coming of the Lord is threefold: the third coming is between the other two and it is not visible in the way they are. At his first coming the Lord was seen on earth and lived among men, who saw him and hated him. At his last coming All flesh shall see the salvation of our God, and They shall look on him whom they have pierced. In the middle, the hidden coming, only the chosen see him, and they see him within themselves; and so their souls are saved. The first coming was in flesh and weakness, the middle coming is in spirit and power, and the final coming will be in glory and majesty.
This middle coming is like a road that leads from the first coming to the last. At the first, Christ was our redemption; at the last, he will become manifest as our life; but in this middle way he is our rest and our consolation.
If you think that I am inventing what I am saying about the middle coming, listen to the Lord himself: If anyone loves me, he will keep my words, and the Father will love him, and we shall come to him. Elsewhere I have read: Whoever fears the Lord does good things – but I think that what was said about whoever loves him was more important: that whoever loves him will keep his words. Where are these words to be kept? In the heart certainly, as the Prophet says I have hidden your sayings in my heart so that I do not sin against you. Keep the word of God in that way: Blessed are those who keep it. Let it penetrate deep into the core of your soul and then flow out again in your feelings and the way you behave; because if you feed your soul well it will grow and rejoice. Do not forget to eat your bread, or your heart will dry up. Remember, and your soul will grow fat and sleek.
If you keep God’s word like this, there is no doubt that it will keep you, for the Son will come to you with the Father: the great Prophet will come, who will renew Jerusalem, and he is the one who makes all things new. For this is what this coming will do: just as we have been shaped in the earthly image, so will we be shaped in the heavenly image. Just as the old Adam was poured into the whole man and took possession of him, so in turn will our whole humanity be taken over by Christ, who created all things, has redeemed all things, and will glorify all things.

May the Lord Bless you, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟330,308.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am more than leery. I've seen too many examples when he's been deceptive in what he's presented to make a point. The latest was his video on Pope Francis' latest encyclical. He tried to make it sound like it was totally anti-Christian. He said that out of 43,000 words God the Father was mentioned zero times, Jesus Christ twice and the Holy Spirit 3 times. That got splashed all over the internet; people were quoting it everywhere.

It's easy enough to find the encylical online and search it. The words "Jesus Christ" were indeed in that form only twice. The other 33 times the Pope referenced him he referred to him as Jesus, not Jesus Christ. Yes, he never uses the term "God the Father," but God was mentioned over 80 times.

That sort of tactic is dishonest, there are no two ways about it. It stirs people up in ways they are not positive. I won't go to him for information of any kind because too often it's tainted.

We all know there are problems in the Church. Those problems exist with both the clergy and the lay people. I don't know that we all realize that this is nothing new, for some tend to think this is somehow a "worse" time. It's not. It's why there is the parable of the wheat and the tares. I believe it's why Christ allowed one of his closest to betray him; so we would recognize this is the essense of the battle we're in against the forces of darkness. They are always close, always near, in places we think they should not be at all. We have to be vigilant.

But I weary of the constant attacks against the clergy. It's one thing to recognize that there are problems. And we must stand firm in the Truth of the faith, even if some of our leaders fail to do so. But when I listen to Voris, I hear too much pride, too much vitriol, and not nearly enough humility. Like it or not, these men are the ones who have been ordained and given the charge of leading the Church. So many of the good ones are beaten down by the constant barrage from all sides. In my opinion, we have to find better ways to support them, while firmly standing in the Truth with charity. The two tools given to us in Scripture are prayer and fasting -- we've forgotten how to use them.

Sorry for the long winded response. But I would suggest to those considering the faith to stick with EWTN, Catholic Answers, Scott Hahn's ministry, Ralph Martin, the Augustine Institute, etc. These are some who in my opinion have proven themselves to be true to the doctrine, not unwilling to address tough issues, but always with charity and a respect that is due to the heirarchy.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am more than leery. I've seen too many examples when he's been deceptive in what he's presented to make a point. The latest was his video on Pope Francis' latest encyclical. He tried to make it sound like it was totally anti-Christian. He said that out of 43,000 words God the Father was mentioned zero times, Jesus Christ twice and the Holy Spirit 3 times. That got splashed all over the internet; people were quoting it everywhere.

It's easy enough to find the encylical online and search it. The words "Jesus Christ" were indeed in that form only twice. The other 33 times the Pope referenced him he referred to him as Jesus, not Jesus Christ. Yes, he never uses the term "God the Father," but God was mentioned over 80 times.

That sort of tactic is dishonest, there are no two ways about it. It stirs people up in ways they are not positive. I won't go to him for information of any kind because too often it's tainted.

We all know there are problems in the Church. Those problems exist with both the clergy and the lay people. I don't know that we all realize that this is nothing new, for some tend to think this is somehow a "worse" time. It's not. It's why there is the parable of the wheat and the tares. I believe it's why Christ allowed one of his closest to betray him; so we would recognize this is the essense of the battle we're in against the forces of darkness. They are always close, always near, in places we think they should not be at all. We have to be vigilant.

But I weary of the constant attacks against the clergy. It's one thing to recognize that there are problems. And we must stand firm in the Truth of the faith, even if some of our leaders fail to do so. But when I listen to Voris, I hear too much pride, too much vitriol, and not nearly enough humility. Like it or not, these men are the ones who have been ordained and given the charge of leading the Church. So many of the good ones are beaten down by the constant barrage from all sides. In my opinion, we have to find better ways to support them, while firmly standing in the Truth with charity. The two tools given to us in Scripture are prayer and fasting -- we've forgotten how to use them.

Sorry for the long winded response. But I would suggest to those considering the faith to stick with EWTN, Catholic Answers, Scott Hahn's ministry, Ralph Martin, the Augustine Institute, etc. These are some who in my opinion have proven themselves to be true to the doctrine, not unwilling to address tough issues, but always with charity and a respect that is due to the heirarchy.

I agree with you as to prayer and fasting, and lets not forget the third virtue of almsgiving. Michael Voris is harsh with the heirarchy, but what he does not advocate is schism. I wish he would be more firm in teaching paragraph 1550 and 1551 in the Catechism

1550 This presence of Christ in the minister is not to be understood as if the latter were preserved from all human weaknesses, the spirit of domination, error, even sin. The power of the Holy Spirit does not guarantee all acts of ministers in the same way. While this guarantee extends to the sacraments, so that even the minister's sin cannot impede the fruit of grace, in many other acts the minister leaves human traces that are not always signs of fidelity to the Gospel and consequently can harm the apostolic fruitfulness of the Church.

1551 This priesthood is ministerial. "That office . . . which the Lord committed to the pastors of his people, is in the strict sense of the term a service." It is entirely related to Christ and to men. It depends entirely on Christ and on his unique priesthood; it has been instituted for the good of men and the communion of the Church. The sacrament of Holy Orders communicates a "sacred power" which is none other than that of Christ. The exercise of this authority must therefore be measured against the model of Christ, who by love made himself the least and the servant of all. "The Lord said clearly that concern for his flock was proof of love for him."

Michael Voris is provocative, but I have not known him to be deliberately deceptive. I agree he can sound prideful and harsh, but that is a complaint of style over substance. His lectures about Church history, modern cultural history, and catechesis are outstanding.
We stay in the Church for the sacraments, especially Penance and the Eucharist. As Christ said, unless you eat My flesh and drink My blood, you have no life in you. A lot of disciples left Him when He said that, but the Apostles said " Lord where would we go? You have the words of eternal life". The Catholic Church is not a cult of personality. It is not necessary or advisable to be a follower of Michael Voris, but of Christ and His Church. The same can be said of Francis. I honor him as the vicar of Christ, but I worry when he appears to be elevating communists, masons, muslims, and even pagan idols over Christ. These things cause me to think, and turn my mind toward God. Why is this happening?

your advise on prayer and fasting is welcomed, and I take it to heart
The Lord bless you Father, Son and Holy Spirit

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟330,308.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you as to prayer and fasting, and lets not forget the third virtue of almsgiving. Michael Voris is harsh with the heirarchy, but what he does not advocate is schism. I wish he would be more firm in teaching paragraph 1550 and 1551 in the Catechism

1550 This presence of Christ in the minister is not to be understood as if the latter were preserved from all human weaknesses, the spirit of domination, error, even sin. The power of the Holy Spirit does not guarantee all acts of ministers in the same way. While this guarantee extends to the sacraments, so that even the minister's sin cannot impede the fruit of grace, in many other acts the minister leaves human traces that are not always signs of fidelity to the Gospel and consequently can harm the apostolic fruitfulness of the Church.

1551 This priesthood is ministerial. "That office . . . which the Lord committed to the pastors of his people, is in the strict sense of the term a service." It is entirely related to Christ and to men. It depends entirely on Christ and on his unique priesthood; it has been instituted for the good of men and the communion of the Church. The sacrament of Holy Orders communicates a "sacred power" which is none other than that of Christ. The exercise of this authority must therefore be measured against the model of Christ, who by love made himself the least and the servant of all. "The Lord said clearly that concern for his flock was proof of love for him."

Michael Voris is provocative, but I have not known him to be deliberately deceptive. I agree he can sound prideful and harsh, but that is a complaint of style over substance. His lectures about Church history, modern cultural history, and catechesis are outstanding.
We stay in the Church for the sacraments, especially Penance and the Eucharist. As Christ said, unless you eat My flesh and drink My blood, you have no life in you. A lot of disciples left Him when He said that, but the Apostles said " Lord where would we go? You have the words of eternal life". The Catholic Church is not a cult of personality. It is not necessary or advisable to be a follower of Michael Voris, but of Christ and His Church. The same can be said of Francis. I honor him as the vicar of Christ, but I worry when he appears to be elevating communists, masons, muslims, and even pagan idols over Christ. These things cause me to think, and turn my mind toward God. Why is this happening?

your advise on prayer and fasting is welcomed, and I take it to heart
The Lord bless you Father, Son and Holy Spirit
I appreciate your charitable tone. And I can sense and trust in your sincerity.

I guess my question would be, when in either Scripture or Sacred Tradition are we ever taught to be "harsh" with the hierarchy? It's a role we are not to have. The last thing I looked at from Voris (because somebody posted it, not because I follow him) was a review in which he called Bishop Barron "immature, ignorant, stupid and childish." Even if he were a fellow bishop and would have the authority to offer fraternal correction, that would not be what that is. In my opinion, he is grandstanding for an audience who will cheer him. He oversteps his role as a lay person when he does so. I can't accept that is a good thing. And I spent an entire two hours watching the video of Bishop Barron and the Protestant minister he contrasted him with, and his review again was not honest. So I will never be a fan.

I share concerns about Pope Francis that many have. More because I think he's just careless rather than deliberate about many things. But I am also convinced that at least some of what has been said are people fanning the flames where a problem didn't exist. Regardless though, I don't have a concern about the papacy. We have the promises of Christ. And I agree with you that we stay in the Church because of Christ and the sacraments he gave us. But he also gave us the hierarchy of the Church; Christ is who established them, gave us the sacrament of Holy Orders, and reminded us that we are sheep more than once. That doesn't mean we are powerless at all -- prayer, fasting, and yes almsgiving are extremely powerful tools. I just wonder many times if the reason our hierarchy seems to be failing us is because we are failing to hold them up. They are in the front lines of spiritual warfare, Satan loves to see them fall, and they need us in the battle, not fighting against them at every turn because we are disappointed in some of them.

As to why things happen and unfold the way they do, that will always come back to trust. Trust that God allows things to happen to bring forth a greater good. To be honest, one of my hopes is that those bishops who are not faithful have become bold under Pope Francis, and that could be of good use to a future pope. But it is really not ours to know. But that concern can't distract us from our part in the battle.

Many blessings to you as well.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I guess my question would be, when in either Scripture or Sacred Tradition are we ever taught to be "harsh" with the hierarchy? It's a role we are not to have. The last thing I looked at from Voris (because somebody posted it, not because I follow him) was a review in which he called Bishop Barron "immature, ignorant, stupid and childish." Even if he were a fellow bishop and would have the authority to offer fraternal correction, that would not be what that is. In my opinion, he is grandstanding for an audience who will cheer him. He oversteps his role as a lay person when he does so. I can't accept that is a good thing. And I spent an entire two hours watching the video of Bishop Barron and the Protestant minister he contrasted him with, and his review again was not honest. So I will never be a fan.

I share concerns about Pope Francis that many have. More because I think he's just careless rather than deliberate about many things. But I am also convinced that at least some of what has been said are people fanning the flames where a problem didn't exist. Regardless though, I don't have a concern about the papacy. We have the promises of Christ. And I agree with you that we stay in the Church because of Christ and the sacraments he gave us. But he also gave us the hierarchy of the Church; Christ is who established them, gave us the sacrament of Holy Orders, and reminded us that we are sheep more than once. That doesn't mean we are powerless at all -- prayer, fasting, and yes almsgiving are extremely powerful tools. I just wonder many times if the reason our hierarchy seems to be failing us is because we are failing to hold them up. They are in the front lines of spiritual warfare, Satan loves to see them fall, and they need us in the battle, not fighting against them at every turn because we are disappointed in some of them.

As to why things happen and unfold the way they do, that will always come back to trust. Trust that God allows things to happen to bring forth a greater good. To be honest, one of my hopes is that those bishops who are not faithful have become bold under Pope Francis, and that could be of good use to a future pope. But it is really not ours to know. But that concern can't distract us from our part in the battle.

I think that’s my problem. I shut down when people start personally attacking intelligence, etc. Whether it be aggressive or passive aggressive. My first thought when people downgrade others, even those they disagree with, is that they are insecure and miserable people that can only get a boost to the self esteem by insulting others. I don’t mind valid concerns but as soon as the insults come in whatever fashion, I tend to shut down. I do not have any patience for it. Voris bothers me when he does that. It makes everything ugly.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey man I came from the same background as you and converted a few years back, if you ever have any questions feel free to PM me. You might have some of the same questions that I had over the years.

The classic recommendation is Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn. I personally haven't read it but I was already approaching my conversion from a similar place as you (questioning and doubting the tenants of protestantism) so I thought I could move a bit further forward in my research. But @Michie is right, anything from Hahn is going to be an excellent resource.

Upvote 0