Must I sacrifice my secular life?

Rik Brooks

Non-denominational with strong Baptist leanings.
Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've only been a Christian a couple of years (of my 60). I've seen tremendous spiritual growth and am enjoying this trip. I awaken early so I get prayer and devotion each day which I then share with my wife. I have a satisfying church life with a lot of church friends.

Last night, on Amazon movies I saw "Under the Dome". It's a film based on a Stephen King book that I haven't read. I really like Stephen King. He weaves such a good tale.

My wife asked what I was watching and I told her. "That's a portal for Satan if ever I've heard of one."

"Babe, I have both a spiritual and non spiritual side. I never offered to give up all harmless recreation. I haven't become a monk." I said, annoyed.

"Why not? He DIED for you."

So here's the question. Does God expect me to give up such harmless diversions as Stephen King movies?

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I've only been a Christian a couple of years (of my 60). I've seen tremendous spiritual growth and am enjoying this trip. I awaken early so I get prayer and devotion each day which I then share with my wife. I have a satisfying church life with a lot of church friends.

Last night, on Amazon movies I saw "Under the Dome". It's a film based on a Stephen King book that I haven't read. I really like Stephen King. He weaves such a good tale.

My wife asked what I was watching and I told her. "That's a portal for Satan if ever I've heard of one."

"Babe, I have both a spiritual and non spiritual side. I never offered to give up all harmless recreation. I haven't become a monk." I said, annoyed.

So here's the question. Does God expect me to give up such harmless diversions as Stephen King movies?
You will have to seek God in prayer for this. Ask Him to open your eyes and give you understanding. Romans 12:2 is a very good and important verse to hold on to.

We are supposed to come out from the world and be separate. Set no evil things before our eyes, hate what is evil, cling to what is good. It may seem like harmless recreation to you, but it may not be in the Lord's eyes.

I've had to give up just about everything similar to that. I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen other things by Stephen King that could definitely become a bad influence on the mind. That movie is not "a portal for Satan", but it could give place to evil in your mind, if you become influenced by it.

We are supposed to be led by the Spirit of Truth, who convicts us of sin, softly and with wisdom. God hasn't given us a spirit of fear, so if you feel anything telling you that if you watch this, the devil will get you, that's not of God. That fear could however give place to evil. But if you feel something telling you God hates this, because it's evil, or feel how it's pulling you away from goodness and Truth, you should probably not watch it. God tells us to keep our minds on what's good and pure, and He wants to be Lord over all of our lives, not just when we are in Church. And your wife is right, Jesus died for you, and He has asked you to die for Him. Crucify the flesh, so He will be alive in you. Walk in the Spirit!

What happens in your mind when you watch it? Is it pleasing the flesh or edifying the Spirit? And if Jesus was next to you, and watched it with you, what would He think?

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Only the Lord can answer that question. But a true saint's life is a perfect blend of spiritual and secular when lived out by faith and thanksgiving. The Lord's life was a perfect example. He was just as comfortable at a wedding feast as He was while preaching. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I thought 'Under the Dome' was a series, not a movie, and a pretty good one at that, at least for a while.

Basically, what it boils down to is that which is not done in faith is sin (Romans 14:23). If you are convicted by watching something, then it's best not to watch it. This might be a situation where it's not a sin for you, but would be for your wife if she feels she shouldn't be doing it.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see anything wrong with watching movies and TV Shows like that myself, so from me personally its not a problem. I don't think Satan can easily "port" on to me as a Christian since I have too much faith and reliance on the strength of God to worry about the devil. I rarely give him thought and just focus on God and having faith He would protect me from such forces. If it were that easy to be taken over by the devil, none of us would have a chance and it would make God look weaker than He is.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There are certain things that you may want to give up if you're troubled by them, or if they cause problems with your wife.

I watched parts of 'Under the Dome' and read parts of the book. As @SeventyOne indicated, the series was good for a while. I gave up on the book because it was so bloated. Also, unlike the series, parts of the book are quite explicit, which can leave one with a "should I be reading this" feeling.

Reactions: Rik Brooks
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are two types of people when it comes to this issues.

1. Those who talk about avoiding the world and talk about how they have done so. Because they are apparently perfect and have nothing to do with the world. Its amazing considering only Jesus resisted such things. They say this as this use PCs, smartphones, own products that support bad things, have jobs that possibly support bad things. They read bibles that may have been made overseas by underpaid workers...etc. Same with clothes...etc. Ok enough sarcasm...

2. Those who realize yes, we are to avoid the world. But unless we are willing to live in a cave, naked and farming our own food.

Its impossible to avoid every aspect of the world. Doesn't mean we "give in" because theres no way to avoid it. Just means we are careful about what we do, who we hang with, what we buy...etc. For example I love movies. But I avoid any horror/occult movies. Not because they affect me but because I just feel the Holy Spirit telling me not to watch them. And I used to be ok with movies with alot of swearing. But after awhile I realized I was starting to swear alot because of those movies having an affect on me. The Holy Spirit got my attention and I started avoiding movies with a ton of swearing. Now I am doing better.

Now does this mean people have to live like I do? Of course not. I mean obviously some things we should avoid because its just makes sense. Like movies involving satantic rituals, like pentagrams on the floor and what not. But many things we have to look at our life and see if its affecting us. If its not then to some degree it may be ok to do/watch. And we also have the Holy Spirit which tends to guide us in the right direction.

Again, I realize some people will be like "Well I look at inappropriate content and I feel no guilt about it! No Holy Spirit telling me not too!". But I think in cases like that it may be more about how far along are they as a christian and their growth/maturity in Christ. Because inappropriate content has zero reason to be looked at. Its one of those worldy things that is impossible to justify as a christian.

However I would point out if your wife feels wrong about watching that. Then I'd not watch it. Or at least not watch it while shes nearby. I always try to be careful about what I do around my wife because some things for her she feels are wrong or she feels convicted about.

Upvote 0

Rik Brooks

Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Only the Lord can answer that question. But a true saint's life is a perfect blend of spiritual and secular when lived out by faith and thanksgiving. The Lord's life was a perfect example. He was just as comfortable at a wedding feast as He was while preaching. Peace in Christ :).

I LOVE this.

Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rik Brooks

Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thought 'Under the Dome' was a series, not a movie, and a pretty good one at that, at least for a while.

Basically, what it boils down to is that which is not done in faith is sin (Romans 14:23). If you are convicted by watching something, then it's best not to watch it. This might be a situation where it's not a sin for you, but would be for your wife if she feels she shouldn't be doing it.

You're right, it's a series and I'm enjoying it. I am wondering, what IS this dome? How is this logical? What is this story? It's so different.

I'm not seeing evil in it though.

Upvote 0

Rik Brooks

Site Supporter
Nov 19, 2015
✟67,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It would not bother me if Christ were watching it with me. I think that's a very good gauge. No, it has no religious value but it's interesting to see, such a novel concept... a dome cuts the town off. I'm an author and like a good story. I think this is one time that I'll just have to disagree with my wife.

Thank you guys, your answers have been interesting.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

harmless diversion - harmless - difficult to define ... people are different ... I have trouble watching "movies" don't watch them, don't enjoy them. To me it's just pursuing someone else's imagination and ideas about something. It is difficult enough to control my own imagination without bringing in someone else's. LOL I like things that are true. One's relationship with God is most important. I take Gods Holy Word as truth and study it and other things tied to it such as related history, cultures, archeology, and I really enjoy that, and there's enough there to last a lifetime. I go out and experience nature, Gods creation. In today's world it's getting more and more difficult to find truth. Perhaps it's more so of where someones time is spent. Is it a escape? Escape from what? Is it a diversion? Diversion from what? or maybe to what?

More questions than there are answers.

"I have both a spiritual and non spiritual side"

We all struggle with this. If it's non-spiritual then it's not from God, is it? Should we pursue non-spiritual things?

Pray about it. One thing for sure .... prayer is spiritual. ;o)

God Bless.

Upvote 0

likeminded66

Philippians ch. 2
Jan 26, 2018
USA
✟15,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated

I've been walking with the Lord for almost 20 years now. If I would've saw this question in my formative years, I would've said something like "Yes, we need to renounce all things that are not Christ-centered or that do not glorify God." And I did those things: I trashed CDs, books, etc...anything that I knew I was doing that wasn't of God. That's a good thing to do and I don't knock that period of my walk. But now I realize the issue comes down to a matter of 'personal conviction'. If you are ok in your conscience, then that is between you and God. But if what you're doing or saying is offensive to another believer, then there needs to be communication and a resolution made. So if you watching those movies becomes offensive and causes problems and friction, then maybe not watching them anymore or watching them when she isn't home can be a resolution. Romans ch. 14 is a good chapter to read for this.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I don't believe you have to give up harmless recreation. Life is supposed to be fun. If it isn't, sometimes we start to stray and get ourselves into trouble.

However, something you said troubled me: "I awaken early so I get prayer and devotion each day ..." We should be praying all day long (1 Thess 5:17). I hope you are doing that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It would not bother me if Christ were watching it with me. I think that's a very good gauge. No, it has no religious value but it's interesting to see, such a novel concept... a dome cuts the town off. I'm an author and like a good story. I think this is one time that I'll just have to disagree with my wife.

Thank you guys, your answers have been interesting.

You might want to consider the disregard you just expressed about your wife.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Yes.

Salvation is an exchange, friend. If you've been born again, you gave up your life of autonomy, your independence from God (which never really existed anyway), and in its place received a new life in Christ. That new life is fundamentally a life of self-denial:

Matthew 16:24-27
24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
27 For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.

God can only be in your life what He is: God. This means He is the center of your life, not you; He calls the shots, not you; He sets the boundaries of your behaviour, not you; He directs how you invest your time, energy and money, not you. God will not sit on the margin of your life as just another accessory to it. He will not share power and control with you. He is God.

Stephen King is very anti-Christian and his antagonism to Christianity is insinuated into many of his novels. His novels also emphasize horror and all the characteristics of that genre: brutal violence, demonic powers, monsters and death. What part do any of these things have in the life of peace, holiness, love, gentleness and purity to which God calls all of His children? We are commanded in the Bible to rebuke and challenge evil, not entertain ourselves with it.

Ephesians 5:8-11
8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light
9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth),
10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.

So, will you deny yourself? Will you submit to God's will and way and reject the stories - however interesting - of those who hate Him? Whose life are you leading now? The life of Christ or just whatever life you feel like leading?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No.

MATTHEW.25:31-46 says that ordinary Christians are still serving God by just financially supporting His Church, pastors. missionaries, evangelists, etc.
....... Not every Christian is called by God to be a monk or pastor. Imagine all Christians are pastors or missionaries. Similarly, not every man is destined to be a President or King.

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

She is dead wrong, there is actually more spirituality in a lot of fiction out there then you find in a lot of churches. Jesus and God were highly metaphoric people.

This kind of thing you should know with the Spirit, or be able to quickly decide.

Your wife, I am sorry, she needs some help, she has swallowed some very bad teachings.

Be sure you have the Spirit before continuing your walk, as well.

Upvote 0