Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, I see what you mean. By putting this in the section on Penance, it makes it sound like something done after confession and sometimes that is what is done. In Catholic thought though, this is part of a continuous process of sanctification. The prodigal son story used in that section shows the pattern of falling away, realizing one's state, returning, asking for forgiveness, receiving mercy.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are not Catholic, then there are no layers between you and God
Just a slight point of fact, there are no layers between any of God's children and Him, no matter which church we individually call home. (1 Timothy 2:5)

I have to say though that there is nothing like confession to really make you feel God's mercy in a tangible way. Maybe it is all psychological and maybe that is why God gave the ability to do this to his disciples and they to their disciples, etc.
I hear you. This is why James 5:16 connects confessing sins to one another with healing. Unfortunately, some have taken this to mean confession to one another is necessary for forgiveness from God, which simply is not so.

This is not the only avenue of forgiveness between ourselves and God.
Amen to that!

Upvote 0