Must a nation be educated or have educated citizens to become a democracy?

Spherical

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2016
US
✟111,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A democracy is only as good as the people participating in them.
I agree with this. I think the concept of "educated" would need to be clarified. OP, you seem to oppose it to illiteracy. That is one thing. I do believe that citizens should be "educated" in that they must be aware of their rights and duties and what the different branches of government's roles are, as well as their limits. Conscious citizenship (even if the citizens are illiterate) is definitely a great aid in the good practice of democracy. Hence why I would shift the focus from literacy/academic education to awareness, responsibility, sense of common good, and active participation. Otherwise it risks developing into demagogy and ochlocracy.

Can you be a democracy with illiterate people?
With illiterate people? Yes. With only illiterate people? I don't think so.

Must a nation be educated to become a democracy?
There is a certain degree of education needed to run a democracy, but I'm not necessarily referring to academic degrees.

Must a nation have educated citizens to become a democracy?

Again, this depends on what we call "education."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
whoa - you really think that. Astounding
Just look at the United States with its epidemic of obesity, declining life span, cancer rates, autism epidemic, the high murder rates in certain cities, slums every few miles, college debt (accumulated by taking worthless majors that does not increase IQ), bizarre social concepts such as gender fluidity etc, now compare that to a 'stupid' country like Turkey, where NONE of the above apply.

• Agree
Reactions: football5680
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can you be a democracy with illiterate people?

I guess if no one could read it would really cut down on the paperwork... The government would have to announce laws over loudspeakers. Tax collection would be difficult. Maybe you could draw a picture in crayon to show how much income you were making? I guess there would be no need for a postal service if no one could read.

lol. Yes... one can elect leader even if one is uneducated. Or a educated leader could take advantage of the uneducated to get elected. I'm not certain if that's a democracy at that point, even though the votes are cast?

Is a democracy - "a nation whose leaders are officials elected by votes from the general population"
Or is it "a nation whose leaders represent the will of the people, chosen by election"
What happens when the will of the people is manipulated through mis-education and propaganda?

Maybe that would be a Manipu-Ocracy.

Can you be a democracy if all your people spend all their time watching TV?

Upvote 0