Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A few googled news reports on it:

Local News | Muslims will tone down Eid celebrations on 9/11 | Seattle Times Newspaper

American Muslims nervous about Ramadan's end coinciding with 9/11 – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Due to a fluke in the lunar calendar, Ramadan for many Muslims ends today, on 9/11. As a result, several groups are toning down their celebrations, some out of respect for the victims, and some out of fear of the repercussions, and presumably, some out of both respect and fear. Obviously, other groups are still going ahead with the full celebrations, seeing as it's not their fault that Ramadan ends on September 11th.

What do you think? Do you think they should tone down their celebrations, or do you think that it is their choice? What about the rationale behind it?

Last edited:

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe each Muslim family needs to make that decision for itself.

Honestly, I don't know anything about Eid, other than it is the end of Ramadan. Traditionally, I don't know how much celebrating is done.

In an ideal society, everyone would be aware that this year the holiday coincides with the anniversary of the September 11 attacks by radical Muslims, but I don't think we live in that type of general society. I am guessing that there will be people who will confuse the celebration as a joyous memorial of that dreadful day in American history.

Maybe there could be some public awareness made of the holiday coinciding with the anniversary. It would also be nice to see, on television, a public voice of Islam in America speak against the 9/11 attacks on that day.

Upvote 0

Inept

Unfalsifiable
Jul 16, 2010
✟15,254.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
However I would point out that many non-Muslims live in continuous fear in Islamic countries.

Thankfully in America (and the UK) people can, or at least should be able to, celebrate freely and believe what they wish without the fear of persecution.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Local News | Muslims will tone down Eid celebrations on 9/11 | Seattle Times Newspaper

American Muslims nervous about Ramadan's end coinciding with 9/11 – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Due to a fluke in the lunar calendar, Ramadan for many Muslims ends today, on 9/11. As a result, several groups are toning down their celebrations, some out of respect for the attackers, and some out of fear of the repercussions, and presumably, some out of both respect and fear. Obviously, other groups are still going ahead with the full celebrations, seeing as it's not their fault that Ramadan ends on September 11th.

What do you think? Do you think they should tone down their celebrations, or do you think that it is their choice? What about the rationale behind it?

" some out of respect for the attackers," :confused: am I reading this right ?

Upvote 0

Exiledoomsayer

Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this
Jan 7, 2010
✟10,237.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Apparently there are two groups of muslims that follow different times. one has the party fall on 9/12* guess they lucked out and can have the proper party?

edit: Number fail. 8/11 would surely be a safe day to party on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

DesertSky

Due to a fluke in the lunar calendar, Ramadan for many Muslims ends today, on 9/11. As a result, several groups are toning down their celebrations, some out of respect for the attackers, and some out of fear of the repercussions, and presumably, some out of both respect and fear. Obviously, other groups are still going ahead with the full celebrations, seeing as it's not their fault that Ramadan ends on September 11th.

For those I say - I don't really give a crap what you do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In Islam, celebrating eid is an obligation, not doing obligations is equal to disbelive unless their life is under threat.

It seems it is not an obligation, but just below that level. It also seems it is forbidden to fast on that day.

It also seems that giving to charity is a part of the celebration, a big part.

Not celebrating seems wrong to me. But celebrations that are martial in nature seems just as wrong.

Personally I think a slightly subdued celebration would make sense, celebrate but still recognize what was evilly done by some claiming to be subbmitted to Allah.

Oh and I would surely consider making at least a part of any charitable contributions to those hurt by hte 911 attacks.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I think I don't care. They have the freedom to believe what they want here and they can choose to tone it down if they want to, as well. Freedom is nice like that. Compared to the lives of anyone who isn't Muslim in majority Muslim countries- well... Yep, freedom is nice.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In Islam, celebrating eid is an obligation, not doing obligations is equal to disbelive unless their life is under threat.

They're still celebrating, they're just not doing so to the same extent as they might usually.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Pity for them. Ramadan fasting is an impressive example of faith and dedication to their Allah for Muslims. Such a demonstration of discipline is well worth others taking notice of. They should be free to celibrate Eid without fear.

However I would point out that many non-Muslims live in continuous fear in Islamic countries.
They chose to do this themselves. I would support them celebrating anywhere other then around Ground zero. It is a time set forth before 9-11. I do believe it would be better to tone it down. But it would be better if it was out of respect for the victims and the victims family's.
But I do not find that in the article. Only fear, intimidation, and not wanting to fuel more anti-muslim publicity.

" some out of respect for the attackers," :confused: am I reading this right ?
I am glad this was not in the article. It also would not fit, out of respect to the attackers, they would follow the tradition to the letter.

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
But it would be better if it was out of respect for the victims and the victims family's.
But I do not find that in the article. Only fear, intimidation, and not wanting to fuel more anti-muslim publicity.
Why should they tone down celebrations out of respect for 9/11 victims?

The main legitimate reason I see for the down toning is to avoid negative backlash from fools.

Upvote 0