Muslims claim neither Jesus nor the New Testament ever claim Jesus as God- are they correct?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On a recent pilgrimage to Israel we took our group up the road from the bus lot through the streets of Nazareth up to the Church of Annunciation.

Nazareth is about 60% Muslim. A group of Muslims confronted our group as we walked up the road. These “Muslim apologists“ aggressively challenged Christians to prove that Jesus said he was God. Oh, I wish we’d of had time — for they would probably have been less confident in the future.

The Muslims were obviously wrong. Jesus and the New Testament both claim Jesus is divine.

But first we must admit that Jesus did not go around, saying, “Hello, nice to meet you, I am God, .” He came to earth for a reason, and he knew his timetable and when his sacrifice would take place. His ministry lasted for three years and he did not rush his crucifixion. He knew the timetable. He had a lot to do for three years so he wisely laid low, spending most of his time up in Galilee and away from Jerusalem.

Let’s look at a few basic passages from the New Testament that very clearly claim that Jesus is God. Second, we will look at Jesus his own words.

First, St. Johns gospel begins with a very audacious statement:

John 1:1, 14 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. … And the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.”

Continued below.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, no they are not. But they don't have to be, if talking to a Christian in name only that doesn't know their Bibles.

Most Muslims don't really know the same Old and New Testaments that we know, either. They know what the Koran says of Jesus, and the Koran has specific texts to refute the divinity of Jesus.

I have a friend who has been a missionary to Muslims for several decades now, including thirty years within Muslim countries. His method is simple: Just read the gospels with them. He gets into no debates, no arguments. He will answer simple questions, but otherwise he just sits with them and reads the gospels, then Acts, then Romans, however long that takes. He then asks, "Do you believe what we have read?" He reports that every Muslim who has gone that far with him has answered, "Yes, I believe this. I want to be baptized."

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Heck, most Muslims don't know that their prophet Mohammed, married a 9 year old girl and
had sexual relations with her.

Also, Muslims will always point at the Crusades as to how evil the Christians were to Muslims.
However, they rarely if ever admit to the Muslims invading Spain and being just 200 miles outside
of Paris in the ninth century. This was 100 years before the first Crusade was called for. Their
willful ignorance of this is obvious.

Also ask Muslims what their response would be if the US took Mecca and prohibited Islamic
pilgrimages to that city? They'll tell you that it would mean all out war. Point out that this is
what happened when the first Crusades were called for. Christian pilgrimages to the Holy Land
were prohibited and Muslims were destroying Jewish and Christian Holy sites. Another piece of
history that Muslims ignore or try to change.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,607.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Heck, most Muslims don't know that their prophet Mohammed, married a 9 year old girl and
had sexual relations with her.
Actually they do, and they also look at Muhammad's marriage to Ayesha through a historical lens. It was nothing out of the ordinary for the time in history which the marriage took place. Child marriage was common in many cultures and religions in the 6th century; this included followers of Judaism and Christianity.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually they do, and they also look at Muhammad's marriage to Ayesha through a historical lens. It was nothing out of the ordinary for the time in history which the marriage took place. Child marriage was common in many cultures and religions in the 6th century; this included followers of Judaism and Christianity.
I've yet to meet or see a Muslim who'll admit to this. They also fail to admit that Muslims
invaded Europe long before the Crusades.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,607.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've yet to meet or see a Muslim who'll admit to this.
Next time you meet these Muslims you should tell them that acknowledging Muhammad's marriage to Ayesha when she was young is nothing to be ashamed of since it was the social norm in his day. In doing so they will appreciate your honesty and your knowledge of historical facts which in turn may cause them to be more open to hearing the gospel message.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Next time you meet these Muslims you should tell them that acknowledging Muhammad's marriage to Ayesha when she was young is nothing to be ashamed of since it was the social norm in his day. In doing so they will appreciate your honesty and your knowledge of historical facts which in turn may cause them to be more open to hearing the gospel message.
So, it was OK for a girl of 9 years old marrying and having sex with an older man is OK because of the times they lived in?

FYI, it was only the social norm among Muslims in that area, not Jews or Christians.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,607.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So, it was OK for a girl of 9 years old marrying and having sex with an older man is OK because of the times they lived in?
While we see it as socially unacceptable today, it wasn't viewed that way in 632.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

FYI, it was only the social norm among Muslims in that area, not Jews or Christians.

How do we know he had sex with her?

People in that day were not idiots. They knew that attempting to breed female livestock too soon damaged the female and likely ruined her ability to bear young.

It's unlikely they were any less aware of that with regard to human women. While betrothal certainly happened while girls were young, how certain are we that sexual intercourse went with it...or that she had even been taken from her parents' home at that age, even if betrothed?

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,607.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It was the social norm in all Semitic cultures in the 7th century.
To marry a girl of nine?

I doubt that very much.

I know, betrothals were made for young people, but the actual marriage didn't take place at nine years of age.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How do we know he had sex with her?
Marriage required consummation, which Mohammed himself admitted to.

BTW, he supposedly married her when she was age 6, but waited to consummate
the marriage until she was nine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then to prove his thesis was correct (that Jesus was God), St. John ends his gospel with a skeptic having the final word. After the resurrection “Doubting Thomas” declares who Jesus really is.

John 20:26–29: Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.” Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.”

This is as strong a claim for Jesus’ divinity as we need, and should be sufficient to conclude that the New Testament does declare the divinity of Christ. It is pretty clear. Too bad the Muslims miss it out of intentional ignorance.

Second, when God introduced himself to Moses, he revealed his name for the first time.

Exodus 3:14-15: God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ” God also said to Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and thus I am to be remembered throughout all generations.”

So God introduces himself by name — I AM. Jesus revealed his true identity by revealing himself as the I AM of the Old Testament. There is no more explicit claim to divinity than this! As one Bible dictionary says,
“Jesus’ use of ἐγώ εἰμί (egō eimi) in the absolute sense (“I am”) draws on Exod 3:14 and other Old Testament passages where the phrase clearly refers to God. In using the expression, Jesus seems to be explicitly identifying Himself with Yahweh, asserting His eternality, self-existence, and changelessness, and claiming to bear Yahweh’s presence on Earth. Jesus employs this absolute sense of ἐγώ εἰμί (egō eimi) in the Gospels, particularly in the Gospel of John (Matt 14:27; Mark 6:50; 14:62; Luke 22:70; John 8:24, 28, 58; 13:19; 18:6)” (Jeffrey E. Miller, “I Am Sayings,” in The Lexham Bible Dictionary, (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016).

Third, understanding this in the Jewish context, it is clear that Jesus was claiming and proving to be the great I AM, God in the flesh. And in the Jewish context the Jewish leaders were very clear Jesus was claiming divinity.

But let’s add one more. The Jews understood Jesus to claim divinity — equality with God — and tried to stone him for it (the punishment for blasphemy). Jesus was Jewish and was speaking to the Jewish leaders. There is no doubt they understood what he was claiming.

John 5:17–18 But Jesus answered them, “My Father is at work until now, so I am at work.” For this reason the Jews tried all the more to kill him, because he not only broke the sabbath but he also called God his own father, making himself equal to God.

John 8:56–59: “Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day; he saw it and was glad. So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.” So they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.

John 10:30–33: “The Father and I are one.” The Jews again picked up rocks to stone him. Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from my Father. For which of these are you trying to stone me?” The Jews answered him, “We are not stoning you for a good work but for blasphemy. You, a man, are making yourself God.”

So, here are a few of many places where Jesus and the New Testament claim and reveal the divinity of Christ. Jesus is one substance with the Father. He is God in the flesh and it is clear for all to read, except of course those who have blinded their eyes by their own flawed religions and traditions.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
  • Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0