United States
✟49,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
『On the night of her murder, she had been at a colleague’s leaving party at a bar in the Gemmayzeh district before leaving the taxi.

Local media had alleged she had been raped twice by Hawchieh for wearing a “short skirt”.』
Rebecca-Dykes-Tarek-Hawchieh-671360.jpg

Brit diplomat murdered in Lebanon was 'strangled to death by Uber driver’

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
『On the night of her murder, she had been at a colleague’s leaving party at a bar in the Gemmayzeh district before leaving the taxi.

Local media had alleged she had been raped twice by Hawchieh for wearing a “short skirt”.』

Brit diplomat murdered in Lebanon was 'strangled to death by Uber driver’

Brit diplomat murdered in Lebanon was 'strangled to death by Uber driver’[/QUOTE]

Sad but not surprising.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Even if it is true that, in general, Muslims are more likely to commit such atrocities, the OP is clearly crafted to appeal to the most base human instincts.

Sorry, I thought you took aim at my post, not the OP. OTOH it might serve as a warning to others that might find themselves in a similar situation.

Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you think Muslim men killing women, which happens daily in Muslim countries throughout the world, is surprising? And you don't find it to be sad?

So you don’t think two billion Christians in the world don’t have among them men killing women daily ?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Profoundly irresponsible post, representing the worst this site has to offer

I note that it's not the rape and murder that bother you, but that people are talking about it - that seems to bother you.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,329.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I note that it's not the rape and murder that bother you, but that people are talking about it - that seems to bother you.
You, of course, have precisely zero evidence that rape and murder does not bother me. The OP is clearly designed to engender xenophobia.

And that bothers me. As does rape and murder.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You, of course, have precisely zero evidence that rape and murder does not bother me.

You expressed disapproval of the post, but not the crime the post described. I can infer from that what really bothers you.

The OP is clearly designed to engender xenophobia.

Phobia denotes an obsessive and irrational fear. We're talking about a fear that could have saved this diplomat's life.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,329.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did not grow next door to Disneyland. The OP is an irresponsible appeal to the deepest fear of the "other".

The innocent blonde-haired woman, and the gun totin brown skinned man are there to clearly appeal to the darkest of human inclinations.

There are hundreds of ways to responsibly argue that there are problems with Islam.

The OP takes the low road.

Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We're talking about a fear that could have saved this diplomat's life.

That’s just silly. As well say some dead mountain climber at Everest would have been better off with acrophobia.

Things falling out of animals digestive system happen whatever we fear something or not.

Fear may teach us caution but sometimes it just isn’t enough.

You can choose to fear or you can choose to live. Odds are you can get killed, maimed or mentally broken but usually those choosing the fear have miserable lives totally wasting God’s gift to us.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,329.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How instead, do you believe, should someone properly view and process this incident to protect one's self from similar occurrences?
First, it is a single incident, an anecdote. As such, it means nothing by itself. But I think there are real reasons to be concerned about what Islam teaches about women (same concern re many religions). However the way to deal with this is through an adult dialogue that steers clear of the inflammatory imagery present in the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
First, it is a single incident, an anecdote. As such, it means nothing by itself. But I think there are real reasons to be concerned about what Islam teaches about women (same concern re many religions). However the way to deal with this is through an adult dialogue that steers clear of the inflammatory imagery present in the OP.
OK, and what can we learn from this single incident - using adult dialogue - to prevent such things from happening in the future to ourselves?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How instead, do you believe, should someone properly view and process this incident to protect one's self from similar occurrences?
Since the guy was a drunk and not really practicing his faith much. They could have said this guy rape the girl for wearing a short skirt. Like the article said. A lot of rapist of any background make the excuses. That the victim was teasing them with their clothes. Even child rapist will go into detail of how that child was teasing them. With their clothes. It's typical of any rapist. The op added the Muslim part. I think that what the other poster was suggesting.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,329.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK, and what can we learn from this single incident - using adult dialogue - to prevent such things from happening in the future to ourselves?
I am not sure we can learn anything from a single incident. If, in fact, such events are extremely rare, it would not make sense to alter one's behaviour based on such an anomalous event. If you are trying to get me to say that the lesson is that we need to avoid getting in an Uber with a Muslim driver (and you may not be implying this at all), such a conclusion would be entirely unjustified based on just a single event.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.