Politics
US-Democrat
Do you agree, then, that we should rescind the
Patriot Act, and disband the TSA? There are better
ways to secure our airlines than giving up our
freedoms when we fly. And we gave away our right
to privacy to the government for safety they can't
give us.
Disband the TSA? No, because I understand the TSA has to be neutral in dtermining who gets selected for special searches. Otherwise everyone gets the same search.

Rescind the Patriot act? You bet. I'm just waiting for some FBI agent to come into my library nad demand a patron's reading records. Fortunately our circulation system deletes check-out information when anitem is returned so I won't get arrested when I refuse to provide such informatiuon.

Upvote 0

Jezmeyah

member since 7-14-16
Jul 14, 2016
Indiana
✟32,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Muslim man was removed from a Southwest plane after saying "inshallah", Arabic for "God willing", during a phone call.

Would this have happened to a Christian? I don't think so.

The last time I checked the Constitution, we have this little thing called freedom of speech in the US. This man did nothing wrong. Yet he was taken off the plane and searched, as was his luggage. Although the search found nothing, he was not permitted to reboard the plane.

Now, before people start saying that there is nothing wrong with treating Muslims in this way because Muslims have been responsible for acts of terrorism, remember the words of Dr. Denjamin Franklin: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ne-uncle-baghdad-cair-statement-a7347311.html
Under what circumstances did Benjamin Franklin say that? I think if he'd seen the devastation that occurred on "9/11" he might have said, "To hell with what I said in that quote that did not foresee such a future event.. {Franklin still talking} and here's another that's more suitable, 'a need of prevention is worth a necessary safety'".

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Under what circumstances did Benjamin Franklin say that? I think if he'd seen the devastation that occurred on "9/11" he might have said, "To hell with what I said in that quote that did not foresee such a future event.. {Franklin still talking} and here's another that's more suitable, 'a need of prevention is worth a necessary safety'".
Perhpas.

Out of curosity, which of Franklin's writings have you consulted to support this?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You did not specify that anyone had to consult Franklin's writings to give an answer.
You made the claim of what Franklin might have said if he were alive today. You could be correct (as I said) but without finding something that he said or wrote to support your claim it is nothing but opinion. Franklin also might have stood by his earlier statement.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You made the claim of what Franklin might have said if he were alive today. You could be correct (as I said) but without finding something that he said or wrote to support your claim it is nothing but opinion. Franklin also might have stood by his earlier statement.
Franklin MIGHT have worn a tutu and danced the Cancan. Aren't weasle words fun?

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Disband the TSA? No, because I understand the TSA has to be neutral in dtermining who gets selected for special searches. Otherwise everyone gets the same search.

Why is that? If over 90% of all terrorists are Muslims,
then why wouldn't we expend the most effort checking
Muslims, instead of groping children and humiliating old
ladies, not to mention everyone else? And with all that,
there is no proof that anything done by TSA has stopped
a single attack anywhere. If and when another attack does
happen, it will just cause more loss of freedoms, and still
no likelihood of stopping future attacks.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why is that? If over 90% of all terrorists are Muslims,
then why wouldn't we expend the most effort checking
Muslims, instead of groping children and humiliating old
ladies, not to mention everyone else? And with all that,
there is no proof that anything done by TSA has stopped
a single attack anywhere. If and when another attack does
happen, it will just cause more loss of freedoms, and still
no likelihood of stopping future attacks.
Proof of you claim please?

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
But they aren't.

That was a question, not a statistic. But to be fair:

About 70%, though it could be higher,
due to the 'Unknown' category

terrorist-offenders.jpg

http://rightreason.org/2012/empirical-insights-on-terrorism-and-ideology/

I can deal with devoting 70-75% of the effort to checking Muslims.

• Informative
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That was a question, not a statistic. But to be fair:

About 70%, though it could be higher,
due to the 'Unknown' category

terrorist-offenders.jpg

http://rightreason.org/2012/empirical-insights-on-terrorism-and-ideology/

I can deal with devoting 70-75% of the effort to checking Muslims.
That pretty much follows what is reported on the news too, doesn't it?

I mean, every time there is a report of a terrorist event unfolding, the first impulse is to wonder if there is a Muslim connection, and the big red chunk of the pie ends up confirming it.
it barely ever turns out to be a Christian, and even less frequently Buddhist or Confucian or Taoist.
I guess Sikhs had their kick at the can for a while there, but they have been pretty passive after the Indian government smashed into their temple, and the Tamil Tigers were/ are? mainly a local thing, and likely more secular than religious at any rate.

When it comes to religious leaders/founders, Mohammed stands apart from the rest of the pack when it comes to doing violence in the name of God. It is therefore not surprising that in the wake of political and military weakness, more than a few Sunnis has resorted to terrorism as the means of emulating their Prophet.

• Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Especially pertinent to this thread is to note how many of the airplane bombings in this list were perpetrated by Muslims in the name of Allah, and how many were not.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/wrjp255a.html

Also worthy of consideration is the sheer numbers involved. Other than the black race riots that have shaken American cities, nothing compares to the numbers of dead and wounded in America, by those killed by the soldiers of Allah.

It has already been noted without adequate response, there is more reported in this story without elucidation than the headline itself might suggest.

And, if and when airline officials act to thwart a potential terrorist attack that turns out to be a false alarm, it is not as if people have no reason to be to be vigilant, just because they are going to be wrong.
People are inconvenienced when the alarm turns out to be false. People die in large numbers when people sit on their thumbs instead.

San Bernadino and Florida night Club patrons and military families in Fort Hood are the bloody proof that when people act according to the dictates of political correctness, rather than listening to what their guts are telling them, when it comes to becoming less vigilant against the jihad, people die, and in big numbers too.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Especially pertinent to this thread is to note how many of the airplane bombings in this list were perpetrated by Muslims in the name of Allah, and how many were not.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/wrjp255a.html

Also worthy of consideration is the sheer numbers involved. Other than the black race riots that have shaken American cities, nothing compares to the numbers of dead and wounded in America, by those killed by the soldiers of Allah.

It has already been noted without adequate response, there is more reported in this story without elucidation than the headline itself might suggest.

And, if and when airline officials act to thwart a potential terrorist attack that turns out to be a false alarm, it is not as if people have no reason to be to be vigilant, just because they are going to be wrong.
People are inconvenienced when the alarm turns out to be false. People die in large numbers when people sit on their thumbs instead.

San Bernadino and Florida night Club patrons and military families in Fort Hood are the bloody proof that when people act according to the dictates of political correctness, rather than listening to what their guts are telling them, when it comes to becoming less vigilant against the jihad, people die, and in big numbers too.
So why was this guy not allowed back on the plane after the search and questioning found nothing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
So why was this guy not allowed back on the plane after the search and questioning found nothing?
The article did not give that information, as far as I know.

What is your conclusion as to why they did not?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The article did not give that information, as far as I know.

What is your conclusion as to why they did not?

I do not know. Another airline aline allowed him on, apparently without any difficulty.

BTW, something that did not come up in the discussion in this thread was the background and demeanor. He is a graduate student and had just attended a dinner with the UN Secretary-General. He was cooperative with the authorities (if someone is a threat they are usually not very cooperative). Apparently none of that counted simple because he said "God willing."

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I do not know. Another airline aline allowed him on, apparently without any difficulty.

BTW, something that did not come up in the discussion in this thread was the background and demeanor. He is a graduate student and had just attended a dinner with the UN Secretary-General. He was cooperative with the authorities (if someone is a threat they are usually not very cooperative). Apparently none of that counted simple because he said "God willing."
Certainly in the article, there is no authority that indicated that none of this counted simply because he said "God willing".
The article itself pointed to another reason that the journalists chose not to pursue or elucidate further.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Certainly in the article, there is no authority that indicated that none of this counted simply because he said "God willing".
The article itself pointed to another reason that the journalists chose not to pursue or elucidate further.

But other articles that I have read focus on the same thing.

Upvote 0