Muslim Christians

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
::sigh:: this thread is going down hill too. Can't we just praise God that more are coming to know Him rather than try to weigh whether or not they actually count as Christians?! We all have screwed up theology! We're human trying to interpret the Divine!!! We can't all get it right all the time!

On the positive side, they would at least be learning about Christianity. On the negative side, we are already divided in many different directions. I always say, "truth is narrowly defined."

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess the dividing line would have to be for me to accept that allah is the same as the God of Israel - and He clearly isn't. So if I agree to that idea I can live but if not then I must die with the infidels. Not gonna even consider playing that game with them.

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
I guess the dividing line would have to be for me to accept that allah is the same as the God of Israel - and He clearly isn't. So if I agree to that idea I can live but if not then I must die with the infidels. Not gonna even consider playing that game with them.

I'm not sure, but I think most Muslims know that "Allah" is not the name of God. Some how a change came about in the Aramaic to Arabic that Allah means "The God." Strange, because "IL" means God In ancient Aramaic and Hebrew. It is an established fact that Allah is the short form of Alilah, (Al/il/ah) from historical artifacts.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure, but I think most Muslims know that "Allah" is not the name of God. Some how a change came about in the Aramaic to Arabic that Allah means "The God." Strange, because "IL" means God In ancient Aramaic and Hebrew. It is an established fact that Allah is the short form of Alilah, (Al/il/ah) from historical artifacts.

I'm not talking semantics, I'm talking about the character.

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
::sigh:: this thread is going down hill too. Can't we just praise God that more are coming to know Him rather than try to weigh whether or not they actually count as Christians?! We all have screwed up theology! We're human trying to interpret the Divine!!! We can't all get it right all the time!

We can't all get it right, but there are certain fundamentals which are required to be a biblical born again believer. So there are essentials, and non-essentials.

Why does this matter? It is a matter of salvation. What is the minimum one must believe to be saved?

I think it is Mormonism which teaches that Jesus is the brother of Lucifer. And that we will rule planets, and something about Jesus actually being from Morani, or something like that. Basically, Mormonism does not teach the essentials of salvation but is corrupted enough so that the minimum one must believe to be saved is not there.

So, from my understanding, Islam believes Jesus is a great prophet, but did not die for our sins. That alone is the great divide.

As far as Judaism, the belief is basically biblical coming from the Tenakh, but missing the NT and therefore missing the Messiah. It is not that Judaism in the basic fundamentals is wrong but is pre-Yeshua. I did not really have to renounce anything I already believed, but did need to realize Who Yeshua was and what He did, and that He was the Messiah. Mormons would need to abandon or renounce some of the Mormon beliefs, and Muslims would need to abandon or renounce some of the beliefs of Islam.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the main thing about Islam is that their radicals are so prominent and it makes Muslims frightening. Most are just as peace-loving as the rest of us, Jew, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. It's the radicals.
Certain "Christian" denominations have their radical groups too, they just are not so out there in your face and most don't even realize that they're out there.
And what about our American White Supremists? The American Neo-Nazis? They're all terrifying! So it's not just Muslims nor Islam, it's their lovely radicals that are giving them such a bad rep.
I was very young and didn't understand it at all, but I remember the big "to do" about Jack Kennedy being a Catholic in the White House! There were all kinds of rumors of doom flying around over that possibility before his election; and even afterwards people were wary for a long time.
I do agree that Islam and Christianity don't mix because of the truth about the gospel, but as people, in general, they shouldn't be feared or shunned or looked at suspiciously.

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I think the main thing about Islam is that their radicals are so prominent and it makes Muslims frightening. Most are just as peace-loving as the rest of us, Jew, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. It's the radicals.
Certain "Christian" denominations have their radical groups too, they just are not so out there in your face and most don't even realize that they're out there.
And what about our American White Supremists? The American Neo-Nazis? They're all terrifying! So it's not just Muslims nor Islam, it's their lovely radicals that are giving them such a bad rep.
I was very young and didn't understand it at all, but I remember the big "to do" about Jack Kennedy being a Catholic in the White House! There were all kinds of rumors of doom flying around over that possibility before his election; and even afterwards people were wary for a long time.
I do agree that Islam and Christianity don't mix because of the truth about the gospel, but as people, in general, they shouldn't be feared or shunned or looked at suspiciously.

I was also very young when Jack Kennedy was elected president but I was not in an area where his being Catholic was an issue. He ran against Richard Nixon, and I remember in the Jewish community, there were concerns about Nixon being anti-semitic so the majority of the Jewish community voted Kennedy.

Personaly, and off topic, my experience with Muslims has been that most are anti-semitic. Where I work, I was in a meeting with a person who was middle eastern Muslim. Because I look somewhat middle eastern, they asked if I was a Muslim. I said no. I was then asked if I was a Christian, and I said no. I was then asked what was I if not Muslim or Christian. I said Jewish. They whispered in my ear so no one could hear, if it wasn't in a business environment or in the U.S., they would kill me. That was not an isolated incident. I have been told by other Muslims that it is their duty to kill the Jewish people. I do find that a scary situation so I do get nervous around Muslims. So that it doesn't look like all Muslims are like that, I have met some Muslims from Bosnia, who tend to be less radical and were nice people. But in some countries, it does appear that they are taught to hate the Jewish people.

At the same time, I have met a few Muslims who dislike Jews but when they find out I am a Messianic Jew, become curious about a Jewish person who believes Jesus is the Messiah and savior. They have asked some very good questions about Jesus and I had the fortunate honor of leading one Palestinian to the Lord over the internet. So, it is not all bad, but I do start suspicious because my experience says many Muslims are anti-semitic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was also very young when Jack Kennedy was elected president but I was not in an area where his being Catholic was an issue. He ran against Richard Nixon, and I remember in the Jewish community, there were concerns about Nixon being anti-semitic so the majority of the Jewish community voted Kennedy.

Personaly, and off topic, my experience with Muslims has been that most are anti-semitic. Where I work, I was in a meeting with a person who was middle eastern Muslim. Because I look somewhat middle eastern, they asked if I was a Muslim. I said no. I was then asked if I was a Christian, and I said no. I was then asked what was I if not Muslim or Christian. I said Jewish. They whispered in my ear so no one could hear, if it wasn't in a business environment or in the U.S., they would kill me. That was not an isolated incident. I have been told by other Muslims that it is their duty to kill the Jewish people. I do find that a scary situation so I do get nervous around Muslims. So that it doesn't look like all Muslims are like that, I have met some Muslims from Bosnia, who tend to be less radical and were nice people. But in some countries, it does appear that they are taught to hate the Jewish people.

At the same time, I have met a few Muslims who dislike Jews but when they find out I am a Messianic Jew, become curious about a Jewish person who believes Jesus is the Messiah and savior. They have asked some very good questions about Jesus and I had the fortunate honor of leading one Palestinian to the Lord over the internet. So, it is not all bad, but I do start suspicious because my experience says many Muslims are anti-semitic.

To the Kennedy "scare," I was in Marietta Ga. A pretty large city, but back then only 1 Catholic church/school for the entire city. I would assume that there had to be at least one for the county area but I don't know for sure (then or now). Ga. is NOT a Catholic based state, I think it would probably be considered Baptist.
Where I'm at now, it's Catholic based, at least one Catholic church for every 1-2 of anything else! They're all over the place! Stop on the right hand corner and get your bread and gas and then go across the street for confession and absolution (I think that's the word I want??)! Truly!

About the other you said, WOW! I never knew that! I thought that bit about killing Jews was just the radicals!!! I'll have to look into that more. Unfortunately, I don't know any muslim personally, not sure if I ever have. So most of my info is via internet (and we all know how reliable that isn't!).

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Its not the fact that there are radicals, its the number of them. Imagine if X% of Catholics were terrorists, Y% were sympathizers or aiding them, and the other Z% silent about it. (X+Y+Z=99%)

There have always been radicals, but this movement in Islam today is like our messianic sect. Its a return to their origin; a man who readily lied, schemed and killed to get what he wanted.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Its not the fact that there are radicals, its the number of them. Imagine if X% of Catholics were terrorists, Y% were sympathizers or aiding them, and the other Z% silent about it. (X+Y+Z=99%)

There have always been radicals, but this movement in Islam today is like our messianic sect. Its a return to their origin; a man who readily lied, schemed and killed to get what he wanted.

Yep, it's scary. And I'm afraid this country, in our political correctness, is rushing head-long into big trouble.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Can't we just praise God that more are coming to know Him rather than try to weigh whether or not they actually count as Christians?! We all have screwed up theology! We're human trying to interpret the Divine!!! We can't all get it right all the time!

Although there are a lot of things that Muslims don't seem to have accurate, I think it's often the case that believers have MORE in common with them than many are often willing to admit.

One dear brother in the Lord I know of/have enjoyed following lives in Indonesia/Eastern culture and has often noted the ways that Islam interacts with Christianity and others have a better grasp of it there than in the West where it's often stereotyped.

For some good resources on the issue:

Many who grew up in Muslim culture and came to follow Christ noted how it was in reading the Quran/seeing where it told them to follow the Messiah that they came into awareness of who Christ was when reading the scriptures----and for all saying that Isa of Quran is NOT the same as our Jesus/Yeshua, there are a lot of factors to consider....as even in Quran Isa is given god-like powers by Allah. He is said to be a Judge. He is said to fight that Masih Al Dajjal (anti-Messiah). Many Muslims also see no issue with calling him (Isa) Masih or Lord.

As it stands, there are many Arab Christians who use the term Isa...just as they do with the term God. People who are either Arab Christians or who work with Muslims have noted such often. The traditional Arabic name for Jesus is Yasu'. Until very recent times, all Arab Christians used no other name for Jesus. And even today, that is the name used by more than 99% of all Arab Christians. Just walk into any Arab Christian church, turn on Arabic Christian broadcasting, read Arabic Christian literature written for Christians. You will only find Yasu', never Esa. Only very recently (perhaps some 25 years ago) some Christians started to use the name Esa in Arabic publications written specifically for Muslims in the hope that they may more easily accept their message if they see the quranic name for Jesus instead of the traditional Christian one...and as they experience success, they continue to do so. Nevertheless, among themselves, Arab Christians do not use Esa often.

But of course, if focusing on accuracy, neither was the name of the Lord "Jesus"--the Greek variation. It was Yeshua...and people don't do that much in saying it. Many have noted that it's really not essential to understand who the Lord is. Many who've evangelized amongst Muslims have noted where there is a lot of connection in discussing Isa Al Masih, especially in regards to sharing what the Bible says and what the Quran says on him (with the Quran actually pointing many to the Bible once they were turned the passages telling others to listen to the People of the Book and actually noting where they were Christ was completed in the scriptures). It's always amazing seeing what happens when people see the concept of partial truth/foreshadowing present in the scriptures and the ways the Lord uses things as bridges for others to come and know who he is.

Whenever it comes to Christ and how the Gospel is contexualized within differing cultures/religions..and in studying over the years, surprisngly, I was amazed at how many stereotypes I had of Muslims that were not really what was present..including things mentioned in texts such as the Quran that often get debated (i.e. Christ Death on the Cross, Christ as the Son of God, etc) and seeing how often there is a good deal of miscommunication in concepts (more discussed in #62 , #59 , #56 , #55 , #54 , #49 , #47 , #33 , #29 , #30 , #17, #10 , #1) . Many Muslims, if asking them, had no issue noting that Christ is the Savior--and moreover, they had no issue with saying that the Quran is not against the fact that He indeed died and yet lived...or that Isa was the Messiah who'd save the world by His sacrifice. For others who trust the Messiah and yet remain within an Islamic context, it's a big deal for them to remember the examples within scripture, be it with Joseph in Egypt or Esther in Persia or Daniel in Babylon and Paul in his work with the unknown god ( more discussed here in #4 and #57 ). And with Muslims, there are a HOST of logical inconsistencies many people ascribe to them that really are not accurate (even though many other things aren't accurate in regards to how to see God) and that is the reason many have taken alot of issue.'​

For some reference on what it is I'm speaking of, one can go here:​
As said before, in Muslim culture, there are many varieties....and some examples being when it comes to a variety of stances on head coverings and people being shocked to see they're not cookie cutter (more shared here/here and here on the issue )--as there are many "Islams" (i.e. Sunni, Shiite, Sufi, Druze, etc)..just as there are many Christianities (i.e. Evangelical, Reformed, Orthodox, Catholic, Messianic Judaism, Pentecostal, etc). Diversity exists in every camp, just as you see in Christianity when you have a wide number of people with differing experiences in evangelism/all not having the same point of view.....just like saying that not all Black Churches/experiences in Black culture are universally the same (even as it concerns how Christ is viewed/addressed) simply because many on one side favor something while another group differs (with both groups often having seperation from one another/ignorance of the extent of how things are).

There are others who've done an excellent job of addressing the issue, such as Ravi Zacharias. I love Ravi and the ways he has sought to help others in the West better understand how the Eastern Mind works. ..as well as differing ways of addressing Muslims in effective ways. Glad I was able to get ahold of several of his works (i.e. Walking from East to West: God in the Shadows", "Jesus Among Other Gods", Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith We Defend, etc.). One excellent resource is known as Camel Method. One of my dear sisters in Christ informed me of it when it came to working with Muslims/seeing many come to Christ. More on that found here:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upon further research I was amazed to find how many believe this is the age of the islamists in such way that judeo-christianity is dying in the Western world which will give birth to an islamo-christianity. Europe and North America, about 850 millions people assist everyday to the destruction of their ideology and culture and do nothing preferring to side with the worst current that Islam has to offer because of fear (yes the West is submissive and weak). Islamism will not stop at the door of the West and the West will be too happy to answer every demand to avoid conflict. Even if it means sacrificing the Jews (something Europe is very good at) then so be it.

Julie Burchill: Good, bad and ugly | Life and style | The Guardian
There's often a lot of hype that tends to go on whenever people get fearful of Islam on the rise...and yet for others who've been abroad, it is the case that many realize Islam is actually FAR smaller than Christianity on the rise globally.

The oft-repeated statement, "Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world" has both a ring of truth to it and is seemingly self-evident to Westerners with highly visible and growing Muslim minority communities in their midst. However, the stats have consistently shown that is actually Evangelical Christianity that is beating Islam in terms of growth and has been for a long time.

When it comes to others noting where Muslims seem to be rising in force more so than those in the West, what they don't realize is that family dynamics make a world of difference. I'm thinking more so of what's known as the Ageing of Europe, also known as the greying of Europe, which is a demographic phenomenon in Europe characterized by a decrease in fertility, a decrease in mortality rate, and a higher life expectancy among Europeans. It's to the point where many countries are either paying people to have children or advocating for higher rates of immigration in order to stimulate births.....and the same is now hitting the U.S, which is feeling the impact of people choosing to put off marriage/having children far latter than in previous times......and with abortion being a BIG DEAL here, it's no surprise that numbers are dwindling.

For reference:

Some have said that the rise in abortions is DIRECTLY connected to the lack of children being created to aid those who are elderly....and for the increasing amount of others not being able to have children, some have said that it may be an act of Judgement from the Lord for the the times children were deemed as unecessary.

As Muslims tend to have BIG families/love children and having many as possible, there are many who have noted how it is a fear of theirs to have them take over due to having higher populations, but some of that may be a bit of a reaction without warrant. One of the best voices on the issue is Philip Jenkins, a superb historian/scholar and one who has been following trends in population for awhile. I was very thankful for the things he shared in regards to giving hope to the people of Europe. And for more:

Our Founder, the Prince of Peace, gave a very different order for world take-over than many Christians have when it comes to trying to be militant against all in Islam. In his plan, the meek would inherit the earth (Matthew 5)...and sadly, the whole nature of Christianity morphed into a militant Christendom after the conversion of the Roman Emperor Constantine in the fourth century. Muslims, today, have too many grounds for believing that Christian nations remain "crusaders"----politically, economically, and militarily. How can Westerners be bearers of the Character and demeanor of our Founder rather than bearers of the heavy legacy of our dysfunctional national histories and the negative interactions with the world of Islam?

Granted, the rise of Islamism (different from how all Muslims believe) has been devestating for many indigenous Christian minorities and more dangerous for the survival of Jesus-centered believers. Islamism has widened the cultural chasm between Muslims and non-Muslims in many multicultural societies, making "Islamic space" that excludes non-Musloms and openly hinders any form of cultural assimilation into host countries. Westerners, and especially missionaries from the U.S and UK, face particular additional challenges in serving in many parts of the Muslim world. Koreans, Indians, and Indonesians, and, to a lesser extent, Chinese and Filopinos do not carry the same historical and cultural baggage----the latter having their own restive Muslim minorities....and thus, others have noted where we need to wisely involve this globalization of the world's mission force.

Moreover, when we witness the growing use of suicide bombers by militant Islamists, how can we as believers be any less dedicated to the point of laying down our lives for the sake of securing their eternal salvation? Many who are fearful of Muslims don't even take time to invite them to their own homes and have fellowship with them....and yet they talk on others doing ministry amongst them to be fearful. That's not the way of Yeshua.....who went to the people others said were untouchable.

Some good reads on the issue are From Seed to Fruit ~ REVISED AND ENLARGED 2ND EDITION. In the book, various authors share their concentrations. Different missionaries sharing their context-specific experiences. Topics covering both macro and micro ideas for the missiologist (theorist) and missionary (practitioner). It seemed like a great overview of the missiology I have been learning for the past five years. The book is the result of research taken from field practitioner reports and attempts to analyze what practices lead most effectively to people movements. More can be found here at Why Do Muslims Become Jesus Followers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
IslamChrist must be in conflict within their own crossbred theology, cause Islam believe Christianity is worthy of death, and if they believe both, then they must also believe that they should kill themselves, not for the virgins but because Allah says Infidels are worthy of death.
Quran never said that, as that's one of the common accusations that get brought up whenever people say that all Muslims must automatically seek to kill Christians---no different than others saying that all Christians hate Jews/are anti-semitic because of teachings developed in the church from scripture (like Replacement Theology amongst others) that blamed the Jews for the death of Christ and led to a lot of anti-semitic views/persecution of them sadly by others in the name of Christ. Many Muslims have often noted directly how there is never a claim nor reason for others to either hate Christians (whom they're told to listen to since they're People of the Book) or Jews....and that the texts had a historical context.

2:256 says "There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path. ..."

ibn Kathir said: There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the right path has become distinct from the wrong path. لاَ إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ (There is no compulsion in religion), meaning, "Do not force anyone to become Muslim, for Islam is plain and clear, and its proofs and evidence are plain and clear. Therefore, there is no need to force anyone to embrace Islam. Rather, whoever Allah directs to Islam, opens his heart for it and enlightens his mind, will embrace Islam with certainty. Whoever Allah blinds his heart and seals his hearing and sight, then he will not benefit from being forced to embrace Islam.

With that it mind, it should also be noted that what needs to be considered whenever it comes to the discussions of Muslims and the tax dynamic is actually examining what other Muslims in the U.S and abroad have noted...and lived out. For whenever people bring up talk of the Muslims seeking to "force" others to believe as they do in all settings, it ignores the extensive amount of times many Muslims have not sought to enforce anything on non-believers .

There's an excellent book on the issue that did a good job of addressing the issue, entitled Freedom of Religion, Apostasy and Islam ( more here ). This book argues that the law of apostasy and its punishment by death in Islamic law is untenable in the modern period. Apostasy conflicts with a variety of foundation texts of Islam and with the current ethos of human rights, in particular the freedom to choose one's religion. Demonstrating the early development of the law of apostasy as largely a religio-political tool, the authors show the diversity of opinion among early Muslims on the punishment, highlighting the substantial ambiguities about what constitutes apostasy, the problematic nature of some of the key textual evidence on which the punishment of apostasy is based, and the neglect of a vast amount of clear Qur'anic texts in favour of freedom of religion in the construction of the law of apostasy.

Examining the significant challenges the punishment of apostasy faces in the modern period inside and outside Muslim communities - exploring in particular how apostasy and its punishment is dealt with in a multi-religious Muslim majority country, Malaysia, and the challenges and difficulties it faces there - the authors discuss arguments by prominent Muslims today for an absolute freedom of religion and for discarding the punishment of apostasy.

For more:
As said best in the article:
In Freedom of Religion, Apostasy, and Islam, Hassan Saeed and Abdullah Saeed argue that apostasy laws were formulated in a religio-political landscape that differs dramatically from its contemporary counterparts. Thus, these laws have, in effect, been rendered obsolete. For example, during the pre-modern era when religious identity and political identity were practically synonymous, rejecting or leaving Islam was roughly equivalent to high treason, for both were seen as rejecting the Muslim ruler’s political authority. In addition, it was assumed that such people would likely join the enemy’s armed forces. But today, political and religious identities are considered largely independent of one another and leaving a religious tradition does not connote military desertion, political subversion, or potential armed rebellion. Recognizing this fact, most Muslim countries have abandoned the death penalty for apostasy.

Some Muslim countries have adopted a progressive approach toward abolishing apostasy laws; others maintain laws against what is considered blasphemous, hateful, or defamatory speech regarding Islam and Prophet Muhammad. As will be detailed below, the vagueness and over breadth of such laws leave them open to abuses, and they are often used to intimidate or silence political opponents...

There are other good places for review on the issue of religious tolerance within Islam, as seen in Misconception: No Freedom of Religion in Islam and Religious freedom in Islam. No punishment for apostasy and Appendix E: Qur'an 2:256 - Answering Islam. Additionally, there are other groups that should be considered in what they've advocated on the issue many times before...such as the Sufi Muslims (more here in #14). Many assume Islam means all for it are for militant takeover, yet they're largely unaware of the differing camps in Islam and how they differ---with Sufis being peaceful. Despite the long and well-known history of conflict between Christians and Muslims, their mystical traditions--especially in the Christian East and in Sufism (more here, here, here, here, here, here , here, here, here , here, here, here and here/ here / )--have shared for centuries many of the same spiritual methods and goals.

That said, seeing that there're already Muslims involved in politics within American culture as well as grassroots organizations and they work with Non-Muslims often (more here, here, here, here , here, here ,here and here/ here), it's bananas to see the ways others react to Muslims/assuming they're all out to conquer you and take over. I truly do feel sorry for the many Muslims who feel very isolated within the U.S and living in fear, but I am glad for others working on their behalf (just as with other groups) to ensure that they're well connected.

One thing I've often seen people do is claim that all Muslims are meant to be violent--with the narrative being that believers are not and have never been in the scriptures....and yet they forget on how the scriptures, for anyone studying them honestly, have had an EXTENSIVE history of vioolence. Elisha himself called down a curse on others for making fun of his bald head and had 2 bears kill over forty-youths ( 2 Kings 2:23-25/ 2 Kings 2 ). FOr others saying that Mohommad was vindictive and Biblical prophets were not, I think there's a big lack of honesty in seeing how others responded.....and there's a reason that others often chose to become Zealots for the Lord.

The same thing goes for Samson in Judges 14-16 when the Spirit of the Lord came upon him and he went to war with the Phillistines....with Judges 15 being interesting after seeing how he had a riddle he made solved and the Spirit of God empowered him as he took vengence upon them by killing their own people to pay the winners what was agreed on. Again, anyone studying the prophets and OT Israel in how they did things will see that it wasn't anywhere close to being a pretty narrative or something where violence wasn't at times praised/celebrated.

As it is, the example of Elisha is interesting when seeing how he responded to mocking with the Lord's approval in shutting things done.

And all in the OT who followed God were believers, just as it is with believers today....be it Moses when it came to the slaughter of the Midianites for enticing Israel into sexual immorality after Balaam taught them how to seduce them, or David in his conquest of Jerusalem/wars---or Josiah in II Chronicles 33-34 who wiped out all of the idolators in the land/put them to death...and many others. The account of Maccabees also is another to consider as well as Phineas (more shared here ). In the new book Laying Down the Sword: Why we Can’t Ignore the Bible’s Violent Verses, Philip Jenkins brilliantly compares and contrasts the Bible and the Quran in terms of sheer violence.

For other good reviews:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

It can easily be said that nearly every group, be it Catholics or Protestants or Hindus and others, have had some point in history where there were violent actions done by their camp to other people. I'm always surprised when people talk about the "Muslim" threat as they did for decades and yet ignore where it was the Christianity of the North/South that wasn't concerned for fighting for the economic/moral equality of blacks to whites----with everything done from lynchings to Jim Crow laws and every Sunday folks would be in church fearful of "enemies abroad"------and the same goes for Protestands who were fearful of Kennedy being Catholic and yet other Protestants had a SERIOUS history of persecuting other Protestants/Catholics. The same goes for the American Neo-Nazis and other groups..

I'm always tripped out at how many think Muslims hate Jews and yet they ignore where other Muslims/Jews have been good friends. Seen it myself and was tripped out the first time..especially as it concerned the ways Jews would come to the defense against Muslims and vice-versa (Christians included if seeing others like the Coptic believers in the Middle East) who were harmed by radical views/stereotypes.

Seeing how many people are in my own neighborhoods wearing the head-coverings and yet are wonderful to be around, it's always saddening to me to see how many people fear them and think "Don't tell them you're Jewish since they'll hate you!!!" (as if other Muslims didn't hate others hating Jewish people as much as we do) or "Don't invite them over or they'll force you to be like them!!! and don't see the beauty of people.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Can't we just praise God that more are coming to know Him rather than try to weigh whether or not they actually count as Christians?! We all have screwed up theology! We're human trying to interpret the Divine!!! We can't all get it right all the time!

Anyone who has done ministry amongst Muslims understands where many Muslims are mistaken. Nonetheless, history wise, there are many reasons why things developed as they did. St John of Damascus, as Islam began to arise centuries ago in the Middle East, lived amongst Muslims and treated Islam as a Christian heresy...specifically, the Heresy of the Ishmaelites. He felt that Muhammad was inspired by Arian Christians who had a warped perception of Christ and salvation in general. The Arians had a mistaken approach to Christianity that funneled into Muhammad's mindset in his travels. I think those folks who believe that Allah, the Jewish 2012 understanding of Yaweah, and the Christian God are all the same God is not through exactly parallel salvation histories or revelations. I think the argument goes that they are essentially the same historically-rooted God. They all are Abrahamic, biblical to some degree, and monotheistic, differing from Hindu gods, pagan gods of Europe or Africa, different from bodhisattvas or the pantheon of gods in myths and other such ideas. They are gods with different details but essentially the same roots in the Middle East with a similar semitic approach to the godhead to some degree.

The stories related to how Allah interacts with humanity are very different and contradictory, compared to the God of the scriptures....as Allah is a hodge-podge of stories no doubt that Muhammad heard in his caravan treks with his wife, Kadijah, interacting with Jews, heretical Christians, real Christians, and everything in between....and yet, in the early stages, it wasn't something completely disconnected from Christianity. That was St. John Damascene's view. So from that angle, it'd mean that Muslims worship the same god, only with serious defects in their understanding, just as the Jews continue to do when it comes to not easily seeing Yeshua as the Messiah and God simultaneously (which is deemed blasphemy by them to this day).

Jews have as much post-resurrection knowledge and information available to them as Muslims do. Just because Jews knew God before Christians doesn't really mean much. They believe the Messiah has not yet come and they have all sorts of misperceptions about that. Likewise, so do the Muslims. In the end, both have innacurate understandings of God Almighty mixed with some truths. Few Christians would conclude that in 2012 Jews worship a different God. They have the post-resurrection knowledge. Muslims have it as well.

For many, the ways that Islam is treated is very much similar to how many believers treated those in Judaism when it came to denying things that believers in Yeshua stand for...and there is definitely something to be said for the discontinuity between Second Temple Judaism and Rabbinic Judaism...and it does not accept Jesus as Son and Savior. It seems to me there are at least three possible responses:

1. Islam worships a false god. The Christian God is not who the Muslims call upon when they call upon Allah.

2. Islam worships the true God, but falsely. The Christian God is the one who the Muslims call upon when they call upon Allah, but they have false beliefs about God.

3. The Christian God and the Islamic God are the same, somehow, despite the vast differences in theology, and both are right in their own way.
#3 is trivially wrong according to Biblical/Christian Orthodoxy. My own position is #2, due to the ways that many things in the Quran were taken directly from what other Christians in the areas surrounding the author of the book noted....and other things were essentially Folk Christianity placed into the text, as well as other things.

As another noted best:

From my perspective, I think it is pretty hard to answer this question the way it is usually asked. What does it mean? Did Mahomet really talk to an angel that revealed God's nature to him? No. Are individual Muslims really directing their worship to God? I'm sure many are. Does Islam recognize some of God's absolutely unique characteristics? Yes. Does it deny others? Also yes. If both are true, what does it mean?

I would say that it is a bit like there is a guy who has a number of unique features that are essential to who he is. The Muslims recognize some of them, but deny others. Given that they recognize some, they can't actually be talking about someone else - there is no such person. We all know when they describe what they mean by God what they are talking about - we and they know it implicitly when we speak about their beliefs, or often experience, of God. On the other hand, they explicitly reject other essential features. Whether any individual Muslim does so "knowing" that they are is pretty impossible to for us to know.

I think it's most accurate to say they recognize the One God, and insofar as they direct worship to that, they worship him, though with incomplete knowledge. When they direct worship to things that are manmade additions, they are not. The former activity is probably good for the soul, the latter not. But always there is a real danger serious error, because they have it partly right - that is much more dangerous than someone who is, say, a sort of animist or something completely different. On the other hand, being close and having an explicit connection to God, they can also become drawn to the truth in a powerful way.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Easy G, do you have a team of journalist working for you?^_^
No, as I don't have the funds to afford such. I've done a lot of research/study on the matter over the years and it's not that difficult in writing it out (and you get used to it over time when it comes to ministry research/sermons and Graduate School work...and prior to that, college-prepatory highschool writing which gets you used to quick processing, with memory recall coming in handy as well). Sa

Like I said before, did a conference on this very issue with my Messianic fellowship not too long ago and it's a passion of mine:) I'd wonder the same on you with journalists as it concerns politics/being against Romney^_^

Upvote 0