Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have never seen musicianship, by itself, said to be a spiritual gift, but it certainly has accommodated prophesy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I remember the account of David playing music to soothe the spirit of King Saul. A talent that is dedicated to the Lord can be used by him. :)

Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do recall that the ancient prophets would go to the high places and play music on top of them to God and sing in tongues (I imagine shredding and free styling in angelic skill. I am aware David could remove spirits of distress or depression off Saul, atleast until later in David and Saul's life. Also I am aware the Levites would guard the Ark with instruments. I am aware of psalms and the fact that Solomon wrote about 1000 or more songs.
There is a scripture that says if your going to play an Instrument do so skillfully.

yet i see many bands labeled as christian which are new age pop Rock bands. and i cant help but feel that the prophets sounded more like metal shredding with many misplaced notes (as people presumably did not know the music theory we know today back then) every so often, with a great recovery from the misplaced note. however i do think 3-4 chords and no real solo feels plastic..

i am aware of the fact that every bad thing happens so that something greater will over come the bad, whether it be greater evil, or greater good. yet in the end the greater good always overcomes.

i look at the last 70 years of rock n roll and i feel something greater than the stairway to heaven must eventually occur.. even if that be a christian version of stairway to heaven. the turning of rock music into serious *Rock music seems to be the future. yet technically it is illegal without permission from the artist in america, and so we are left with hillsong united in a very overrated manner when we could be turning nirvana into church music..

As Martin Luther one of the first Protestants did.

Martin would steal bar songs and center them on Christ and everyone would grumble and say that's our song, and he would say no quite the contrary these are God's songs.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That is all worth praying about, I despair at the poor standard of some of the choruses played at the moment as worship in our churches. So much good music composed over the centuries, and yes wonderful Psalms. I pray for your talent and the Lord's direction to use it.
God bless

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...even if that be a christian version of stairway to heaven.
You might like this...
ApologetiX: Narrow Way to Heaven

• Friendly
Reactions: OffGrid
Upvote 0

OffGrid

Oct 12, 2019
Tomball
✟19,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nehemiah I was in high school I studied a book called heavier than heaven a Kurt Cobain biography. I learned to play by watching him. Honestly I can relate in the fact that I am the worst at what I do best and for this gift I feel blessed.
Yet I mean I'm not a bad musician in the least, I just cannot compare with a beautiful voice. ^-^' but I mean I can sing tyrannically in the streets on my skateboard.. :o I don't think that's much of a virtuoso though.. At least not yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
is the skillful understanding of musical instruments considered a spiritual gift? As instruments were mentioned in 1st Corinthians around where Paul mentions the spiritual gifts.

Was David filled with the Holy Spirit when He played music?

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Was David filled with the Holy Spirit when He played music?
"Filled" is an ambiguous term. He ABSOLUTELY had the Holy Spirit ON him when he played, however NOBODY had the Holy Spirit IN them until John 20:22.

Acts 2:4 records the coming of the Holy SPirit ON people who already had the Holy Spirit IN them (which is what made them Christians to begin with).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StubbyMAC

Jan 15, 2020
Warsaw
✟7,997.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Music in general is spiritual gift from God, ability to play music is hard work based on our choice to do it, that's how i see it. Even if some people are more talented in music, as some people are in other areas, they still have to learn and work hard on this. So, everyone can make music, especially these days. No one can really tell which music is better than other, it's so personal, that it really makes no sense to analyze that.

Upvote 0