• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Music with Bells In It.

Discussion in 'Secular Music' started by Willing Spirit, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Willing Spirit

Willing Spirit Newbie

+13
    Charismatic
    Single
    This is a thread to share and discuss music with bells in it, different genres.

My first music video of this type is by Virginia Astley, who has become a personal favourite of mine. This is a 1986 rendition of her enchanting song "A Summer Long Since Passed" from her Hope in a Darkened Heart album, which includes the sound of church bells:

An earlier version of the same song appears on her largely instrumental album "From Gardens Where We Feel Secure" of 1983. This one combines both the bell ringing and sound of bird chirping:

It wasn't the first musical recording to combine bell and bird chirping, for it can be heard on Bridget St. John's studio rendition of "Ask Me No Questions" in 1969:

Perhaps Virginia Astley picked up the idea of doing the church bells and bird chirping from this earlier recording? Not sure.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+2,458
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    The only one that I can recall is
    Switchfoot: New Way to Be Human

3. Citanul

Citanul Well, when exactly do you mean?

+2,231
    South Africa
    Methodist
    Single
    Do cowbells count?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+5,230
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican

5. Dropout_Theologian

Dropout_Theologian Not an ant in God's glorious library. Supporter

+280
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Yippee, another chance to share the loud, wonderful 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky.

6. Willing Spirit

Willing Spirit Newbie

+13
    Charismatic
    Single

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  7. Willing Spirit

Willing Spirit Newbie

+13
    Charismatic
    Single
    Thanks for all the replies.

Here is another one in the classical genre, though very different from Tchaikovsky. Arvo Part's "Cantus in Memorium Benjamin Britten".

8. Kalevalatar

Kalevalatar Veteran

+745
    Christian
    Private

9. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,528
    Christian
    Married
    Liszt Piano Concerto #1 (movements 3/4)

10. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+3,999
    Atheist
    Married
    Just try not to think of Monte Python. :oldthumbsup:

11. Willing Spirit

Willing Spirit Newbie

+13
    Charismatic
    Single
    I enjoyed that Chris Isaak song from earlier. Sounds great!

Here is Bells of Gethsemene from Bruce Cockburn's new album this year, all instrumental: