New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for sharing.
I'm not really into big band concert music though I find it just too loud for my eardrums.
I know God isn't deaf. So I kinda prefer it a bit softer. Plus, I find hearing peoples voices is much better as we sing our praises - not everyone can be in a band.

Reactions: Leevo
Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for sharing.
I'm not really into big band concert music though I find it just too loud for my eardrums.
I know God isn't deaf. So I kinda prefer it a bit softer. Plus, I find hearing peoples voices is much better as we sing our praises - not everyone can be in a band.

Indeed. I am not one for the concert type of worship much anymore either!

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Does anyone sing psalms in their church from the book of psalms?

Im trying to find recordings of them to get the tunes, but the only ones i heard I cant even make out the words. Also it seems like the presbyterians sing them but not the baptist churches. Maybe its the scottish accent that makes it difficult to make them out.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone sing psalms in their church from the book of psalms?

Im trying to find recordings of them to get the tunes, but the only ones i heard I cant even make out the words. Also it seems like the presbyterians sing them but not the baptist churches. Maybe its the scottish accent that makes it difficult to make them out.

But... How can you sing those psalms without the melody? Furthermore, they were originally written in Hebrew, not in English, so you cannot just simply add a melody to it, because the metric would not fit and there would be no rhymes; you would have to make a number of adaptations.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But... How can you sing those psalms without the melody? Furthermore, they were originally written in Hebrew, not in English, so you cannot just simply add a melody to it, because the metric would not fit and there would be no rhymes; you would have to make a number of adaptations.
What?!?

You've got to be kidding me. You refuse to repeat God's word.....The sword of the Spirit....and in place sing some modern mystical pseudo spiritual fun song because it's modern and rhymes?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lol you sound like one of those baptists who always says gimme that old time religion!
I think some churches shy away from speaking of hell that Jesus warned about.

Prolly so as not to scare the children. But then in these types of churches I notice they will have kids that are badly behaved and rebellious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thats like my church.
Its like grey power.
Im 35, but sometimes I am the youngest in the pews.

The other churches around town often go for entertainment rather than gospel, but I guess its different strokes for different folks. However, my pastor doesnt talk about hell much. He focus es on heaven. I think maybe its a taboo topic in some churches, certainly in some ministries for example, the bibles in schools ministry. The teachers are forbidden to talk about hell so as not to scare the unbelieving children. If we talk about hell the secular schools might not invite us back.

Also the songs we teach the children arent allowed to be worship songs. Because some atheist parents complained. So we teach songs ABOUT God not ones that the children could worship Him with. Its sad, but if we dont they say we cant enter those public schools.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What?!?

You've got to be kidding me. You refuse to repeat God's word.....The sword of the Spirit....and in place sing some modern mystical pseudo spiritual fun song because it's modern and rhymes?

I think you may have misunderstood me.

Of course I repeat God's Word! I read the Psalms. However, I do not sing the Psalms. By definition, singing requires a melody, and it also requires good poetry in the language in which it was written. Firstly, we do not have the melody for the Psalms. Secondly, we only have literal translations, and you cannot just simply translate as you wish a poem and expect it to work well in the target language; you need to make adaptations, not only to keep a constant metric (otherwise, no melody will fit in it), but also to rhyme, just as the original poem rhymes (I should know, because I have translated songs, and it is no easy job); literal translations used in the Bible do not work.

So, given those two points, my question is: how do you sing the Psalms? Firstly, how do you find a melody, since the Bible does not give you one? And, secondly, how do you adapt the lyrics to make them singable?

By the way, why do you call post-biblical music ‘some modern mystical pseudo-spiritual fun song’? Do you really think it works like that? Do you really think that Christian music is mystical and pseudo-spiritual, and that it is made just to be fun? Gosh! You should weigh your words! I am sure many composers would have got hurt by reading your words, given that they only wanted to write a song to praise the Lord — a most honourable purpose that you should commend, not condemn.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
For the pseudo-spiritual fun song part.....that's my stance on most modern worship, but I've heard rumors some artist are trying to bring it back to fit with sound doctrine. Most praise music is so generic a JW or Mormon could sing it. Or you could just sing it to your significant other and have the same effect. There is no depth to praise songs like you find in the Psalms or songs sung in the Bible.

The first part, I'm a bit off base.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
For the pseudo-spiritual fun song part.....that's my stance on most modern worship,

I insist that those words are quite offensive. Those songs are not pseudo-spiritual: they really are spiritual.

Besides, you used those words to contrast with psalms. Does that mean you include hymns in that category? If not, then why did you assume that, since I do not sing psalms, I sing only modern songs? If so, then what do you sing in church?

but I've heard rumors some artist are trying to bring it back to fit with sound doctrine.

Save rare exceptions, all modern worship songs have sound doctrine.

Most praise music is so generic a JW or Mormon could sing it.

That is not true. Many worship songs strong assert the deity of Jesus. Here are a few examples:
  • No Other Name by Hillsong: ‘One Name holds weight above them all. / His fame outlasts the Earth he formed. / […] / There is no other name, there is no other name: / Jesus Christ, our Lord! / […] / The Earth will shake and tremble before him; / Chains will break as Heaven and Earth sing: / “Holy is the Name, holy is the Name of Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!”’
  • Our God by Chris Tomlin: ‘Water you turned into wine, / Opened the eyes of the blind’, which clearly identifies Jesus; and, later, he is addressed as God: ‘God, you are higher than any other!’
  • Shout to the Lord by Hillsong: ‘My Jesus, my Saviour, / Lord, there is none like you. / All of my days, I want to praise / The wonders of your mighty love. / […] / Shout to the Lord all the Earth! Let us sing! / Power and majesty, praise to the King! / Mountains bow down and the seas will roar / At the sound of your name!’
  • The Heart of Worship by Matt Redman: ‘I'll bring you more than a song, for a song in itself / Is not what you have required. / You search much deeper within, through the way things appear; / You're looking into my heart. // I'm coming back to the heart of worship, / And it's all about you, it's all about you, Jesus.’
  • This I Believe (The Creed) by Hillsong: ‘I believe in God the Father, / I believe in Christ the Son, / I believe in the Holy Spirit: / Our God is three in one.’
No Mormon or Jehovah's Witness would ever dare to utter these words. It is completely erroneous that you are saying that these songs would be acceptable for them.

Or you could just sing it to your significant other and have the same effect.

That is also not true. Take note of all the lyrics I have previously posted, and see if you would dare to utter those words to your significant other.

In addition, consider also whether you would ever address your significant other with any of the following words: ‘God’ (e.g., God, You Are Good), ‘Lord’ (e.g., Open the Eyes of My Heart), ‘Lord God Almighty’ (e.g., Agnus Dei), ‘Jesus’ (e.g., Jesus, Lover of My Soul), ‘Jesus Christ’ (e.g., Take All of Me), ‘Saviour’ (e.g., Mighty to Save) or ‘Spirit’ (e.g., Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)).

It is absolutely wrong, and even slightly offensive, to say that these songs can actually be used to speak to your significant other.

There is no depth to praise songs like you find in the Psalms or songs sung in the Bible.

Actually, there is a lot of depth to these songs. You should read the lyrics of songs, like Awesome God by Rich Mullins, Blessed Be Your Name by Matt Redman, Ever Be by Bethel, Like an Avalanche by Hillsong, Made Me Glad by Hillsong, My Heart Is Yours by Passion and Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) by Hillsong, before saying things like that.

The first part, I'm a bit off base.

Well, well, well, how come? You criticised me for allegedly refusing to ‘repeat God's Word’, when I had only asked someone else how he could sing the biblical psalms! And, now that I have shown you that, as I see it, it is impossible to sing the biblical psalms, and now that I have asked you how you do it, all you can say is that you are ‘a bit off base’! And yet you have not told me how you sing psalms! How come? Will you clarify your point, or is ‘I am a bit off base’ really the best thing you have to say?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Bibles in schools is interdenominational, it isn't just a baptist ministry, although lots of baptists take part. If it were just a baptist ministry then it would certainly be more evangelical and warning children about hell, or at least telling them that unrepentant wicked people go there, and we can make a choice NOT to go there.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
My major issue with modern "christian" (intentionally not capatalized) music in churches is that the overwhelming bulk of what you hear is modern, worldly, secular music with gospel lyrics tacked on as an afterthought. All done in an effort to make the music and it's "message" more appealing to a broader audience in an effort to get more people back into church. That, to me, is a kind of "closing the barn door after the horses have already gotten out". I'm sure many of the artists writing and singing these songs have honorable intentions, but listening to much of their music, it is easy to see what riffs they've borrowed from secular music to try and make things more appealing. If someone wants to hear about Jesus, they will listen, and a gnarly guitar solo isn't going to change things one way or the other.

What is the problem with writing music in a different style? Music styles are not ‘worldly’ nor ‘Christian’. Music is universal, and can be used for any purpose. As Larry Norman famously put it, ‘Why should the Devil have all the good music?’ So long as the message contained in the lyrics is doctrinally valid and talks about any aspect regarding Christianity, it is OK — any denial thereof is extreme traditionalism. This diversity in music styles should be welcomed, not condemned.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Then you and I will agree to disagree. I don't believe modern music has any place in church. Period. Call me a traditionalist if you must - it's a moniker I wear with pride.

All right. I will agree to never go to your church. :)

I do not condemn traditionalism (I would kind of consider myself kind of traditionalist as well, in some aspects), but rather extreme traditionalism. To me, saying, ‘We can only play those hymns in the pipe organ, the way they did centuries ago’ is being extremely traditionalist. Such a mindset is unreasonable.

Music can and should progress according to our preferences (since God does not have any specific preference for music style). Furthermore, it should adapt to our talents. Since God has given me a talent to play the drums, I think that I should use it in church.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well, then good for you. If you beat the skins like Lars Ulrich from Metallica to a hymnal though, we'll come back to this discussion, and you won't like where I put your drumsticks.

I apologise, but your comment confuses me. What do you mean that ‘I won't like where you put my drumsticks’? Is that personal attack?

I ‘beat the skins’ in whatever way I feel appropriate for the style, intensity, rhythm and speed of the song being played.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Im not a fan of rock music in church either.
One time, we had worship leaders come in from another church. They tried to get everyone hyped up with their modern music, but they were mostly singing to themselves. They couldnt hear the rest of the congregation anyway. Also they needed amps and stuff, but, I just think if the whole congregation is going to be singing why do you need the bass and drums so loud.

The whole reason we come to church is to worship the Lord TOGETHER not listen to a band perform.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to sing (solo) at the church I grew up in. Every song I sang, God had used and integrated it with the sermon's message. I always thought that so amazing! But yes, I agree with the above. I'd rather worship with everyone else instead of listening to a band in church.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Relax man. Don't get so defensive. Goodness...

Well, I only asked a question...

[…] However, my opinion on this matter are just in line with the text in my signature line.

Hmm... Asexual? That's pretty cool, man! :oldthumbsup:

I just would not support private gun ownership (but — oh well — that is your problem, you Americans, not mine).

Upvote 0

Pastor D Dutton

Pastor D Dutton
Jan 16, 2016
El Paso Tx
✟7,713.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just wondering what music is like in your church and what hymns/songs are most popular. What styles and is there anything your church wouldn't consider (even if it's used by other christian churches).

What kind of musical instruments are played - organs, piano, keyboard, drums, guitars, harps, sax or other instruments? Can anyone play or is there some kind of selection?

Does your church have good acoustics or does it have a complicated sound system needing amplifiers etc?

And lastly do you have words up on screens or in hymnbooks or you just memorize them?

I speak for my Church, We have piano,organ, guitar flute sax trumpet I believe that's it and the Choir, Music wise it sound very good . Modern or contemporary is not used traditional Southern Gospel. Church has excellent acoustics, we have a awesome sound system and video capiablities for live stream to broad cast out side of the church

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I sometimes have a longing to march around town singing salvation songs like the israelites did instead of just in church. Not to cause earthquakes although that COULD happen as Paul was singing when he was in prison, and also when the walls of Jericho came down, but because I am not ashamed of the gospel.

I do this at christmas when carolling but with another church that my friend goes to, shes anglican. I think wouldnt it be cool to do this not just at christmas, cos in church nobody can hear the singing except God and your fellow church members. I suppose as an outreach?

Upvote 0