✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mumford and Sons Bandmate Gets Canceled After Praising Andy Ngo

Over the weekend, band member Winston Marshall tweeted a photo of Ngo’s book, Unmasked: Inside Antifa’s Radical Plan to Destroy Democracy and wrote, “Congratulations @MrAndyNgo. Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man.”

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Winston Marshall on break from Mumford & Sons after praising rightwing writer

Winston Marshall, the banjo player and lead guitarist with Mumford & Sons, has said he is “taking time away from the band” after his praise for far-right agitator Andy Ngo prompted a backlash.

On 7 March, Marshall tweeted of Ngo’s book Unmasked: Inside Antifa’s Radical Plan to Destroy Democracy: “Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man.” The tweet was soon deleted as criticism mounted.

Ngo is a conservative journalist. In 2019, Jacobin magazine described him as “the most dangerous grifter in America” for what they regarded as attempts to incite harassment against left-wing protestors in part through the spread of false claims and selectively edited videos. In a review, the LA Times described Unmasked as “supremely dishonest”.

In a statement shared on 10 March, Marshall said: “Over the past few days I have come to better understand the pain caused by the book I endorsed. I have offended not only a lot of people I don’t know, but also those closest to me, including my bandmates, and for that I am truly sorry.”

Marshall said he would use his absence from the band “to examine my blindspots”.

Marshall’s bandmates, Marcus Mumford, Ben Lovett and Ted Dwane, have not commented on Marshall’s remarks. A representative for the band told the Guardian there was no immediate comment.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Over the weekend, band member Winston Marshall tweeted a photo of Ngo’s book, Unmasked: Inside Antifa’s Radical Plan to Destroy Democracy and wrote, “Congratulations @MrAndyNgo. Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man.”
I don't understand the whole Mumford and Sons phenomena. I noticed that no matter what I based a pandora channel on, I would always get their songs coming up. At first it was a curiosity, but eventually I figured someone must be paying someone off. I just hit thumbs down every time one of their songs came up after that. But for some reason they still popped up occasionally.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I know what theyre going though!

I used to play a lot of shows with this guitar player who had a huge INFOWARS sticker on his case. Made me cringe every time. But he was a good guy and a terrific player. Eventually Alex Jones got to be too much for him and the sticker was gone.

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
incite harassment against left-wing protestors
Something like that

Except, actually, in real human history on physical earth:

Why Antifa's Assault On Andy Ngo Was Inevitable And Will Be Repeated

Over the weekend, Antifa activists in Portland brutally assaulted Andy Ngo, a gay Vietnamese-American editor and photojournalist. Ngo was admitted to the hospital and, as a result of his assault, suffers from a brain bleed, among other things. The attack on Ngo, in an American city, in broad daylight, from a group purporting to care about justice and equality...

• Winner
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Music groups change members all the time for lots of different reasons. Why is this at all significant or noteworthy?
Antifa is a violent terrorist organization?

"Cancelling" a fellow bandmate for supporting Journalism over violent extremism?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Whoa?! Charlie Kirk misrepresented the facts?

Quick, find a way to quote him again in a new thread!

AND the Federalist...those folks who had to backtrack to avoid being sued by Dominion et. al.? Yes. DEFINITELY trust their judgement and impartial reporting as well.

Violent speech begets violent action. If it's against you.....that's too bad.

Lastly, folks step away from bands all the time. Why did you use the word "cancel"?

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

"Cancelling" a fellow bandmate for supporting Journalism over violent extremism?
I dont see how getting beat up by antifa makes you a worthy journalist..... or cleanses your reputation if youre a horrific liar.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Why am I not surprised you'd call his book journalism.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is rather creepy. That kind of reaction to someone expressing a different point of view reminds me of cults.

The normal thing to do would be agreeing to disagree, because it's normal for different people to have different views. But getting someone into actual trouble because of political disagreement is rather disturbing. It encourages political tribalism instead of dialogue.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

Antifa as a violent terrorist organization? The data points to the increasing problem of right-wing extremism. They are the predominant group in terms of deaths, attacks and plots over the past decade. Antifa is not a terrorist organization; any violence perpetrated by such individuals should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but pretending as if they are a bigger threat than people plotting to kidnap a sitting governor... you are simply ignoring facts.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Journey cancelled Steve Perry because he had a bad hip. Yoko Ono cancelled the Beatles.
NBC cancelled the Monkees.

It's stuff that happens in bands.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is rather creepy. That kind of reaction to someone expressing a different point of view reminds me of cults.

The normal thing to do would be agreeing to disagree, because it's normal for different people to have different views. But getting someone into actual trouble because of political disagreement is rather disturbing. It encourages political tribalism instead of dialogue.
Im not sure. For instance, I rather doubt I could work with someone who was committed or even just positively disposed to Scientology.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

Bands fire other members all the time. It's not getting "cancelled." However, distractions from real issues seems to be the cause of the day on the right. I expect more complaining about cancel culture.

Should we even bother unwrapping the hypocrisy of a man that demanded that artist Lecrae never be booked for performances because he campaigned for Democratic senator, Raphael Warnock? It's pointless really because we know the people complaining about cancel culture don't really care, they're just looking for something to complain about "teh left."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Winston Marshall, the banjo player and lead guitarist with Mumford & Sons, has said he is “taking time away from the band” after his praise for far-right agitator Andy Ngo prompted a backlash...

Ngo is a conservative journalist.

Yeh. I thought that's what you meant. :disappointed:

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you are simply ignoring facts.
12c6e880-a43c-11ea-bc77-e85d71f75cd0

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....Should we even bother unwrapping the hypocrisy of a man that demanded that artist Lecrae never be booked for performances because he campaigned for Democratic senator, Raphael Warnock?....
I know! I clicked the link and Im like omgosh this author is the same guy who cancelled that rapper because of some political difference.

It boggles the mind.

Upvote 0