Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟16,475.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I am teaching two second graders multiplication this year. We're on our 12's and it is starting to get tougher. We also bought multiplication Bingo which they love playing (winner gets an extra 10-minute recess!).

I'll take a look at the site.

Upvote 0

Princessperky

May 20, 2005
NC
Visit site
✟1,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always taught multiplication concepts in first grade (or earlier) no reason to put it off, a kid can handle 2 in one hand 2 in another just fine if they can add, so why not ask what happens if you get 2 in my hand as well?

Now memorizing I always saved that for after the kids memorized basic adding (up to 10 plus up to 10) No reason to confuse 2 plus 5 with 2 times 5. but that was generally by 2nd grade.

Now when I taught them I honestly had to get a kid explain the number/finger thing for 9s, I never did it right the first time (and it is important to get it right so you don't confuse the kids!)

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟16,475.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
selune said:
Second grade is typical for introduction of multiplication (seems very early though doesn't it?). We love using the School House Rock dvd too. Even our kindergartener is picking up on multiplication.

Yes, they do introduce it early. My son started learning multiplication at his school last year in first grade and technically they were learning in Kindergarten when they learned to skip count. My son was instantly thrilled. He loves numbers and the power they hold for him. He counts everything and multiplication makes his life simpler :D

Upvote 0

RooMama

FKA AmyR00
Aug 10, 2005
✟9,999.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Goodness, I didn't really *understand multiplication until I was out of college. I would have been lost in 1st grade.

*I could do it, I just didn't grasp the actual concept behind it.
Also, I'm really not dumb, I graduated from college with honors and got a Master's Degree. I'm just not a math person.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,769,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a big difference from when I was a kid learning math and my own kids learning it today. Today (well, at least in my own kids' school) they learn it in a visual, even hands-on, way that makes sense so that they can understand it at an earlier age. Whereas, when I was in 3rd grade I was given a chart with multiplication tables up through 10, and was expected to memorize it and take a test 2 weeks later:doh:. Really that's how it was introduced to me! Kids can learn math easily if it is taught in a practical understandable way. Charts, flash cards, and reciting the facts is great and all, but it does kids very little good if they aren't taught WHY those facts are what they are.

Upvote 0

RooMama

FKA AmyR00
Aug 10, 2005
✟9,999.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lucypevensie said:
I think there is a big difference from when I was a kid learning math and my own kids learning it today. Today (well, at least in my own kids' school) they learn it in a visual, even hands-on, way that makes sense so that they can understand it at an earlier age. Whereas, when I was in 3rd grade I was given a chart with multiplication tables up through 10, and was expected to memorize it and take a test 2 weeks later:doh:. Really that's how it was introduced to me! Kids can learn math easily if it is taught in a practical understandable way. Charts, flash cards, and reciting the facts is great and all, but it does kids very little good if they aren't taught WHY those facts are what they are.

Exactly! It was when I was working as a teachers aide in a special ed room and one of the students was being taught multiplication that I really understood the concept.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟16,475.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
lucypevensie said:

I've found that silliness really helps get the point across as well. I often pose multiplication questions this way:

if there are 11 penguins and each one has 6 elephants standing on his head, how many elephants are there?

after the kids stop giggling about how elephants could never stand on a penguin's head without smooshing the penguin, they give me the answer

or

if Daddy, his mommy, his sister and his aunt all ate 12 pieces of pickle cake (with chocolate frosting), how many pieces of the cake did they eat?

well, you get the idea.

Upvote 0