Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Isn't justice another facet of God's light?

Justice isn't so much for the Hebrew about God punishing people, but God being faithful and true in his promises and covenants. Of course, in the context of sin that means displeasure and wrath, but relationally it is more complicated than simply God going around destroying things he doesn't like.

There is a concept in Chinese Confucianism called Yi, which is a similar idea . It has to do with propriety and fulfilling ones obligations.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Only people who think they do not need punishment look at it this way.

If you commit a crime whats the payment for that crime?

We all die, so because of this we have to make a choice, that's the issue, not punishment.

What we preach? forgiveness, love and understanding, not punishment.

If we all loved one another and treated each other with forgiveness, we all would be perfect.

Instead of asking is God good, ask, is this world good.

God did not commit sin, the world did.

Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Portray God honestly. That is all. He sends people to both Heaven and Hell. He doesn't put them in Hell to be restored to himself any more than he sends people to Heaven to be driven away. In this life he designed both life and death. The death is not just an absence of God's goodness, but much of it comes directly from his design. He made animals to murder each other. He made us with an internal clock to count down to our self-destruction.

If we worship a God who only does nice things to people, then we worship a God that does not exist. If we teach of a non-existent God, then we will struggle to defend his existence, and if we succeed in convincing people of him, then we have taught them also to believe in something that does not exist.

In fashionable Christianity God is love, and nothing more. The fear of God does not exist. The need for righteousness becomes optional. As long as we have God, then we are safe, we think, but the truth is that the presence of God is the heart of mortal danger to one who treads carelessly and fails to respect his holiness.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The church is obligated to portray God in His multifacitiousness. The church is the revealer of His wisdom to the powers and authorities of the heavenless so what we are given on earth is to be proclaimed from the rooftops. It may have something to do with the church’s future role in judgement.
Ephesians 3:10-12
This is so God’s multi-faceted wisdom may now be made known through the church to the rulers and authorities in the heavens. 11 This is according to His eternal purpose accomplished in the Messiah, Jesus our Lord. 12 In Him we have boldness and confident access through faith in Him

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was explaining to someone that God not only brings hope but He also brings distruction ie sodom. It is seen as God being evil to him. We dont always have to place God as the lovey dovey one because He is also responsible for distruction.
there is no resurrection without death first.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Family,

I was told recently that we are supposed to portray God always in a good light.

If God brings light; yet He biblically brings destruction also... is it also fair to say He is a god of justice?

Light...provided us Jesus and salvation.

Justice: Sodom and Ghmorrah; the Red Sea; Noah and the flood...etc

Isaiah says 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things.

So do we ALWAYS have to portray Him in a good light or can we also tell it like it is as He is also the god of Justice?

~Natsumi Lam~

Portraying God in an ill light would be considered blasphemy. Your OP indicates should we portray God in a good light or the light of Justice. Suggesting justice isn't good or something along those lines. So it's a little difficult to answer the OP correctly.

But we should praise God to come across as thankful children for all God has done for each and every one of us. Worship and praise is how we should portray God.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟322,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Family,

If God brings light; yet He biblically brings destruction also... is it also fair to say He is a god of justice?

I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things.

So do we ALWAYS have to portray Him in a good light or can we also tell it like it is as He is also the god of Justice?

~Natsumi Lam~
God is sheer goodness itself. In His wisdom He can allow evil for His purposes but cannot directly will or cause a morally evil act or else He'd be worse than satan, completely untrustworthy. As it is, He will not allow good and evil to coexist eternally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Family,

~Natsumi Lam~
The Word For evil here is:
7451. ra'
adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, displeasure, distress

From ra'a'; bad or (as noun) evil (natural or moral) -- adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease(-ure), distress, evil((- favouredness), man, thing), + exceedingly, X great, grief(-vous), harm, heavy, hurt(-ful), ill (favoured), + mark, mischief(-vous), misery, naught(-ty), noisome, + not please, sad(-ly), sore, sorrow, trouble, vex, wicked(-ly, -ness, one), worse(-st), wretchedness, wrong. (Incl. Feminine raaah; as adjective or noun.).

see HEBREW ra'a'

Its usage in Isaiah 45:7 is:
rā‘;
רָ֑ע
calamity
Adj‑ms

As to your question, we should not portray him as anything other than what the bible describes him to be. A loving and caring God who would literally become flesh and die for us so that we may have the opportunity to be saved through him. And also as a jealous and vengeful God who exacts justice upon those who do wickedly in his sight. He is loving, and he is vengeful. Every aspect/characteristic of the Lord should be spoken of by the Children of God without neglecting anything.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see God as wisdom which is light and darkness which is love.

Gods wrath and the things he destroys are evils. his justice is his providence. he sorts like with like all while ordering things in a good order that helps us live rather than perish.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Evil is not a created thing, or a thing at all. People need to stop saying God created Evil.

right. evil is non-being. evil is a potential consequence of freedom. freedom is not a created thing but a deeper part of reality.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God has no sovereignty over freedom (except his own), only being. if God has sovereignty over freedom we would literally not exist as it would be God and not us. and God made a distinction in that he is not us even though he formed us out of his love.

it gets tricky and there are different ways to understand the "God creates evil verses". plus you have to remember that God saw that there is a high chance for evils to be in him creating us but he decided to go through with it because he saw the end from the beginning and knows how to save and complete us. therefore there is no difference in him saying "he creates evil" and him saying "he creates us".

Isa 45:5-10 (YLT)
I am Jehovah, and there is none else, Except Me there is no God, I gird thee, and thou hast not known Me. So that they know from the rising of the sun, And from the west, that there is none besides Me, I am Jehovah, and there is none else, Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I am Jehovah, doing all these things.' Drop, ye heavens, from above, And clouds do cause righteousness to flow, Earth openeth, and they are fruitful, Salvation and righteousness spring up together, I, Jehovah, have prepared it. Woe to him who is striving with his Former, (A potsherd with potsherds of the ground!) Doth clay say to its Framer, `What dost thou?' And thy work, `He hath no hands?' Woe to him who is saying to a father, `What dost thou beget?' Or to a wife, `What dost thou bring forth?

basically the process of coming into existence requires freedom, heck it requires Gods very divine power. he made us and then there existed in God a distinction between creator and creature. God emptied himself to make us. sorry but in the end there is literally nothing else to make things with but by himself.

and God prepares evil because he has providence over it in the spiritual world. he is the "Lord of Spirits", surly you have heard that title before. his providence allows a certain amount of evils to happen while he trys to make some use out of it. even though he could fully separate evil spirits from us but instead he even trys to help them by making them near us and it can help us too if we resist it as then we would make a good influence on them. that is one reason Jesus even suffered the evils he did in the world and we follow him.

plus God puts various evil spirits together in a manner that could help them to improve, he is very wise after all.

"salvation and righteousness spring up together" is basically saying "I created you and myself together" because the Logos is the part of God that becomes and how he can make us. we are his salvation because we are saved by his righteousness and being saved we are like he is which is the hope we have, Christ in us when we are united to him. it is the duality of Christ and his Church.

you have to remember that God is still creating. we being his creatures also means we are made out of Gods creative energy, which he expects us to do good with rather than something evil.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi Family,

~Natsumi Lam~
You know, this one time I prayed that I could see the world the way God does ... if what I'm seeing now is anything like what He experiences, I can see why humanity is treated like a disease.

At the same time, there's Jesus who said "forgive them, they know not what they do" while being crucified.

I remember what James said about judging with mercy and what Jesus said about the way we judge others, this is how we'll be judged ... then how will I judge God?

Since the Father entrusted all judgment to the Son, I suppose judging God with mercy is the best course.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
"Players, groups and conductors are pretty good at finding mistakes in printed music. Luckily most are found at rehearsals, but some only at the performances, especially when rehearsal time is minimal."
Eliminating sheet music notational errors - Musings...by Art of Sound Music

Hmmm...rehearsals...

And:

rehearse (v.)
c. 1300, "to give an account of," from Anglo-French rehearser, Old French rehercier (12c.) "to go over again, repeat," literally "to rake over, turn over" (soil, ground), from re- "again" (see re-) + hercier "to drag, trail (on the ground), be dragged along the ground; rake, harrow (land); rip, tear, wound; repeat, rehearse;" from herse "a harrow" (see hearse (n.)). Meaning "to say over again, repeat what has already been said or written" is from mid-14c. in English; sense of "practice a play, part, etc." is from 1570s. Related: Rehearsed; rehearsing.
rehearse | Origin and meaning of rehearse by Online Etymology Dictionary

Those quotes are from another thread (Crescendo/cacophony) and I think they are fitting here, because it seems that whenever He creates, He breaks up the fallow ground first....Before He spoke, when the Spirit hovered over the void...that void-wasn't that also His work? Isn't it in the rehearsals that all is worked out in preparation for the real and grand performance?

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hi Family,

~Natsumi Lam~

God formed the light at the world's beginning,
and God creates darkness by withdrawing light. God sends both fortune and misfortune. God, God, does these things. God Godself has guided history's events in order to carry out God's plans.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God formed the light at the world's beginning, and God creates darkness by withdrawing light. God sends both fortune and misfortune. God, God, does these things. God Godself has guided history's events in order to carry out God's plans.

Next line says He also created the darkness.

Upvote 0