Multi party non-parliamentary countries?

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
quick Google search: "...most democracies in the world today use the parliamentary system as opposed to a presidential system like that used in the United States. A few examples among the many parliamentary democracies are Canada, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Latvia, the Netherlands, and New Zealand." However, I don't know if any such countries have the office of President equivalent to ours.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,664.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are there any countries with a multi-party system that is not a parliamentary one, but instead elects the president or prime minister by popular vote?

I would have liked that here in Germany for the last election. I wanted Olaf Scholz to be Chancellor but did not much like his party and preferred the CDU to them. But here you elect a party and the parties then select the Chancellor.

The American system is in effect an elected monarchy with various checks and balances in the Supreme Court, Senate, Constitution and House of Reps built in. There are still monarchies in the world with distinguishable factions in the elites that are beholden to them. But these are unelected. I would suggest the Russian system is similar with a president elected directly by popular vote.

Reactions: Percivale
Upvote 0