Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can’t even begin to break down how problematic that assessment of “blacks” is, but delving into that would be a lost cause. An old dog can’t learn new tricks. Let’s assume all that you said is true. Why is black culture the way that it is?

Performing tricks is for young dogs. ;)

You'll have to ask them. However here's some information, written by a black person (dated but still valid). There are many such articles available, written by blacks who are critical of black culture. That's a good place to start understanding black culture.

Opinion | Black Women and Fat (Published 2012)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ah yes, the "American Dream", where you can dream in America and unless your daddy is rich or you happen to fall backwards into good luck, you will work yourself into the grave as the people who are already rich dance upon your grave.

Good times.

-CryptoLutheran

I gave up a very lucrative job offer because part of my American dream is to spend more time in the woods. :D Millions of others do this to follow their personal dreams as well (ski bums, surfer bums, etc.). Each person gets to define their own American dream, which may or may not include financial success.

I once worked with a very liberal young Jewish fellow who was going to become a public attorney. When I asked why he didn't go into the more lucrative private practice he replied, "If I was in it for the money, I'd steal."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's their culture. No other explanation is needed.

Consider this.

What I’m driving at is what you think is responsible for cultural differences. If it’s something intrinsic to “them” as a race, then you’re arguing for race realism, which is unscientific and racist. If it’s due to extrinsic factors, then you have to recognize it’s not their fault, though it remains their problem. If you go with the former, you’re racist. If you go with the latter, congratulations, you’ve recognized systemic racism. Let me know if you need further help with this.

Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What I’m driving at is what you think is responsible for cultural differences. If it’s something intrinsic to “them” as a race, then you’re arguing for race realism, which is unscientific and racist. If it’s due to extrinsic factors, then you have to recognize it’s not their fault, though it remains their problem. If you go with the former, you’re racist. If you go with the latter, congratulations, you’ve recognized systemic racism. Let me know if you need further help with this.

I think you're making the issue more complicated than it needs to be. My advice to poor people is:

If obesity is a problem, eat less.
If alcoholism is a problem, stop drinking.
If drugs are a problem, get help.
If health is a problem, take better care of yourself, and see a doctor.
If you can't afford kids, don't have them.
If the cops are a problem, don't break the law.
If lack of education is a problem, stay in school, and pay attention.
If money is a problem, learn to manage it better.

After you've solved these problems you'll probably find very little racism to deal with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's their culture. No other explanation is needed.

Consider this.

Did you even read the entire article? She brings up how fatness was likely a distinguishing feature that separated black women from their slave counterparts. Oh and as for that rap black culture you hate, where did that originate? Oh yeah, young black men growing up in poverty and being abused by the police.

The elements of black culture that you consider harmful all stem from earlier oppression of black communities and people.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did you even read the entire article? She brings up how fatness was likely a distinguishing feature that separated black women from their slave counterparts. Oh and as for that rap black culture you hate, where did that originate? Oh yeah, young black men growing up in poverty and being abused by the police.

The elements of black culture that you consider harmful all stem from earlier oppression of black communities and people.

I read carefully read every word of every article I post.

They have to deal with that (see post 66).

For example:

"My wife's nagging has driven me to drink."

No. You've chosen to drink as a way to escape your wife's nagging. You could have gone and worked in your workshop to get away from her (my brother-in-law built boats to get away from my sister). Why make self-destructive choices when you don't have to?

Black's are in limbo between two 'unacceptable' cultures: Slavery, and, Euro-centric. We can't do much about that. The ball is in their court.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you're making the issue more complicated than it needs to be. My advice to poor people is:

If obesity is a problem, eat less.
If alcoholism is a problem, stop drinking.
If drugs are a problem, get help.
If health is a problem, take better care of yourself, and see a doctor.
If you can't afford kids, don't have them.
If the cops are a problem, don't break the law.
If lack of education is a problem, stay in school, and pay attention.
If money is a problem, learn to manage it better.

After you've solved these problems you'll probably find very little racism to deal with.
The underlying assumption here is that Black people aren’t taking these actions, and if that’s the case, why? I do not buy that there is some element of Black culture that says “do not try to solve your own problems with straightforward, obvious solutions.” Something must be making these solutions difficult, less obvious, or less effective for them. If you think it’s because of factors intrinsic to their blackness, then again — you’re being racist. If you think it’s because of extrinsic factors, then you’ve acknowledged systemic racism.

You need it to be much simpler than it is because you do not want to admit that either systemic racism exists or you yourself are racist. I don’t think you mean to be racist, but you’ve admitted that you already benefit from the way things are, so you probably fear that the radical change in our systems that would have to happen in order to correct systemic racism would threaten your stability in some way. It’s a fair thing to worry about, but think about whom you’re throwing under the bus to shield yourself from change.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The underlying assumption here is that Black people aren’t taking these actions, and if that’s the case, why? I do not buy that there is some element of Black culture that says “do not try to solve your own problems with straightforward, obvious solutions.” Something must be making these solutions difficult, less obvious, or less effective for them. If you think it’s because of factors intrinsic to their blackness, then again — you’re being racist. If you think it’s because of extrinsic factors, then you’ve acknowledged systemic racism.

You need it to be much simpler than it is because you do not want to admit that either systemic racism exists or you yourself are racist. I don’t think you mean to be racist, but you’ve admitted that you already benefit from the way things are, so you probably fear that the radical change in our systems that would have to happen in order to correct systemic racism would threaten your stability in some way. It’s a fair thing to worry about, but think about whom you’re throwing under the bus to shield yourself from change.

Of course there is baked-in racism as a natural consequence of different ethnicities and cultures clashing. This is more a fact of life than an existential threat to minorities. I don't go out of my way to invite other ethnicities into my life. I like to be around and deal with people that look like me (however, in my job I deal with a wide range of ethnicities and nationalities). That's my choice. If it somehow encumbers others they have to deal with it.

My studies indicate that the majority of problems blacks face has little to do with racism, so I'm not too concerned about it. I'm more concerned with the real reasons for their problems, which is basically failure to deal with those problems. It is they that are 'shielding themselves from change'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I read carefully read every word of every article I post.

They have to deal with that (see post 66).

For example:

"My wife's nagging has driven me to drink."

No. You've chosen to drink as a way to escape your wife's nagging. You could have gone and worked in your workshop to get away from her (my brother-in-law built boats to get away from my sister). Why make self-destructive choices when you don't have to?

Black's are in limbo between two 'unacceptable' cultures: Slavery, and, Euro-centric. We can't do much about that. The ball is in their court.

The white privilege radiating off this point (and your others) is basically mind-blowing. Unfortunately its also shared my tens of millions of other Americans which is why every decade or two you end up with mass rioting and cities on fire. But hey, if you didn't learn anything from the civil rights movement and everything that's passed since then you're unlikely to suddenly start now.

• Agree
Reactions: gaara4158
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course there is baked-in racism as a natural consequence of different ethnicities and cultures clashing. This is more a fact of life than an existential threat to minorities. I don't go out of my way to invite other ethnicities into my life. I like to be around and deal with people that look like me (however, in my job I deal with a wide range of ethnicities and nationalities). That's my choice. If it somehow encumbers others they have to deal with it.

My studies indicate that the majority of problems blacks face has little to do with racism, so I'm not too concerned about it. I'm more concerned with the real reasons for their problems, which is basically failure to deal with those problems. It is they that are 'shielding themselves from change'.
So, you’re unapologetically racist and not concerned with systemic racism, even though you acknowledge it’s systemic racism, not Black individual failures, in the way of Black people succeeding as easily as others. You just don’t care. In that case, you’re a part of the problem. Here’s my advice to you. Keep getting called racist? Stop being racist.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The white privilege radiating off this point (and your others) is basically mind-blowing. Unfortunately its also shared my tens of millions of other Americans which is why every decade or two you end up with mass rioting and cities on fire. But hey, if you didn't learn anything from the civil rights movement and everything that's passed since then you're unlikely to suddenly start now.

You might want to study the results of the civil rights movement on the black economy. In their rush to now obtain 'all things white' they abandoned their own economy. Instead of white money flowing into the black community through the efforts of the working class, money began flowing in the opposite direction, and does so to this day, largely on 'conspicuous consumption' products. Blacks just don't support their own businesses thus losing capital and the opportunity for black employment. This also deprives them of the political power that comes along with money.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You might want to study the results of the civil rights movement on the black economy. In their rush to now obtain 'all things white' they abandoned their own economy. Instead of white money flowing into the black community through the efforts of the working class, money began flowing in the opposite direction, and does so to this day, largely on 'conspicuous consumption' products. Blacks just don't support their own businesses thus losing capital and the opportunity for black employment. This also deprives them of the political power that comes along with money.

Support their own businesses? In other words you think they should behave like a ghettoized sub-community instead of just being Americans?

The fact you even think in terms like ‘white money’ is frankly astounding in this day and age.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Support their own businesses? In other words you think they should behave like a ghettoized sub-community instead of just being Americans?

Sooo, they shouldn't support their own businesses? :scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I don't think I and the tens of millions of other Americans are the ones that haven't learned anything. ;)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Blacks can't move into the future if they refuse to leave the past. Too many want retribution and reparations for mistreatment that they did not suffer.

Upvote 0