Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
When did any of you move out?Do you have any advice for moving out?

Well, because there is a certain level of internal dignity to having your own place, and no longer being under your parents. Part of being an adult, is spreading your wings, and flying in the sky with all your colorful feathers showing.

Of course it also means you have to take ownership of your choices, and understand that if you make a mistake, you have to own that mistake.

So practical advice.... obviously what is troublesome for each person is going to be different, based on your personalities.

BUT... I think the one thing everyone needs to grasp is... budgeting. You must sit down, and write a list of all your expenses, and your income, and determine how much you can spend.... before you spend it.

And I would always keep a minimum amount of money in the bank at all times. Meaning if your minimum amount is $500, and you have $490 in the account, and all your friends say "We're going out Friday for (whatever)!" Then you have to make the choice to be an adult and say "Sorry, I can't go.".

I'm telling you this as someone who screwed up in that area really bad, and suffered a lot for it.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, because there is a certain level of internal dignity to having your own place, and no longer being under your parents. Part of being an adult, is spreading your wings, and flying in the sky with all your colorful feathers showing.

Of course it also means you have to take ownership of your choices, and understand that if you make a mistake, you have to own that mistake.

So practical advice.... obviously what is troublesome for each person is going to be different, based on your personalities.

BUT... I think the one thing everyone needs to grasp is... budgeting. You must sit down, and write a list of all your expenses, and your income, and determine how much you can spend.... before you spend it.

And I would always keep a minimum amount of money in the bank at all times. Meaning if your minimum amount is $500, and you have $490 in the account, and all your friends say "We're going out Friday for (whatever)!" Then you have to make the choice to be an adult and say "Sorry, I can't go.".

I'm telling you this as someone who screwed up in that area really bad, and suffered a lot for it.
Thanks for the advice,I appreciate it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Andrew77
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for the advice,I appreciate it.

I wish the very best for you, and hope you have less problems than I did. It shows good wisdom to even ask such a question. :) <3

Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Think very carefully before moving out.
I left home in my early 20's because the only job I could get was 200 miles away.
Renting your own place means paying the deposit, often 2/3 months rent up front and paying rent every month, utility bills are on top of that plus food and travel expenses.

Do your sums very carefully, as Andrew has said make sure you have a cash reserve.
Think about how you'll deal with being locked out, loosing your keys, credit cards etc

That said sharing a house with friends or having ones own place is great just far more expensive then living at home.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Think very carefully before moving out.
I left home in my early 20's because the only job I could get was 200 miles away.
Renting your own place means paying the deposit, often 2/3 months rent up front and paying rent every month, utility bills are on top of that plus food and travel expenses.

Do your sums very carefully, as Andrew has said make sure you have a cash reserve.
Think about how you'll deal with being locked out, loosing your keys, credit cards etc

That said sharing a house with friends or having ones own place is great just far more expensive then living at home.
Thanks for the advice

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I moved out shortly after I turned 18. I started working and saving at age 13 so I have a "nest egg" to start out on. I waited until I had acquired a decent job where I could support myself (barely) ... so .. I then had room mates for a few years to help each other out with expenses and able to again save and acquire some items .... eventually I got to the point (about 3 years) where I could totally live on my own.

While one is living with their parents (or maybe another relative) it is the perfect time to build up some funds to get started on .... best plan I think.

It is important you have a vehicle ... however ... don't get into car payments.

Try to stay out of debt as much as possible.

Always have savings ... always. Life will throw you financial curveballs.

That's my 2 cents worth ;o)

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I moved out shortly after I turned 18. I started working and saving at age 13 so I have a "nest egg" to start out on. I waited until I had acquired a decent job where I could support myself (barely) ... so .. I then had room mates for a few years to help each other out with expenses and able to again save and acquire some items .... eventually I got to the point (about 3 years) where I could totally live on my own.

While one is living with their parents (or maybe another relative) it is the perfect time to build up some funds to get started on .... best plan I think.

It is important you have a vehicle ... however ... don't get into car payments.

Try to stay out of debt as much as possible.

Always have savings ... always. Life will throw you financial curveballs.

That's my 2 cents worth ;o)

God Bless.
Thank you for the advice!

Upvote 0

twinserk

Apr 16, 2011
South
✟31,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'll be moving out in the coming months. I'd recommend staying with your parents as long as possible. Build up your savings, and get your career in order. If in doubt, wait. Moving out in your teens, or even early twenties, is a mistake. Your time with your parents is your opportunity to get ahead, before life hits you.

Upvote 0