DaBronx

Mar 10, 2005
New Jersey
✟16,289.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I saw no reason to watch the film, perhaps someday, though probably not. I have not heard anything that I would consider positive about it.

I just to point out one additional way it is likely offensive. What Christ went through was NOT unique for the time. The basics were a common mode of dealing with theives and other criminals. The specifics of his being mocked are specific to his case, but it is highly doubtful that it is at all unique either. It seems this film serves to help blind Christians to this fact.

That movie sent me running back to church... just knowing (seeing) what He went through for me stung my heart... I covered my eyes through a lot of it but got the gist of it enough to reconcile with Him.... So, for me, I LOVED it.

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2010
✟7,617.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Anything Bill Maher does is pointless first off, so if you're offended by anything a hack comic who hates God, women, this country, and everything that actually makes this nation great, and you saw is his lame attempt at a documentary the only person you should be offended at is your own self.

Oh and if the Passion of the Christ was so Offensive just remember it was our sins that killed Jesus it may well have been you hammering those nails into him or ripping the flesh from his skin ,but he loves us enough to accept and forgive us if thats offensive then good

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Passion of the Christ offended me deeply. They took the savior & made him the centerpiece of a torture-snuff film.

But, supposedly, that's what he went through. I don't think they were trying to make it gruesome to make it seem more like a horror movie or anything, but to show those who viewed it what Jesus went through for us.

Your view point is interesting, I've never heard anyone say that it offended them.

Please do count me in as I'm with Revanneosl: The Passion of the Christ has to be the most perverse and offensive film for me as a Christian. The director's antics since have only served to solidify my perception that there is something deeply disturbing going on in that film.

I didn't watch it either on principle. I get that people can be inspired by anything so that's not the issue for me. I don't do well with really, horrifically violent movies but that's me and I'm not generally offended so much as just grossed out. I just personally found that I didn't agree with the movie or the politics behind it, I certainly don't agree with Mel Gibson or have any wish to go to him for any sort of spiritual fuel or guidance at all.

I will say though that I was amused that people were generally OK with the level of graphic violence in "The Passion," to the point where kids (and I mean little kids) were being brought to the movie with Mom and Dad, but only a few years before that the people who largely filled the seats for "The Passion" were the ones who went ballistic over the graphic violence and torture in "Braveheart." Same director and like "The Passion" it was a historical drama of varying accuracy to real life that featured the real-life (with artistic liberties) struggle of a man regarded as a hero by a great number of people, but that torture scene was deemed disgusting and over-the-top.

I have a hard time seeing how graphic violence in "Hostel" is bad, or even in movies like "Eastern Promises" or "History of Violence" (both of which made waves for their graphic violence) where the violence was not only key to the plot, it is what forwarded the plot and the movie would have been lesser for it, the violence is condemned... But if Viggo Mortenson had been playing Jesus, it'd have been OK.

In the end though if he wants to make that kind of movie and people want to watch it, they can go right ahead. I'll opt out. I did for that Mayan disaster he did for the same reason. I've no need to see anything that over-the-top gross, I don't care what the director's reason for it is.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't watch it either on principle. I get that people can be inspired by anything so that's not the issue for me. I don't do well with really, horrifically violent movies but that's me and I'm not generally offended so much as just grossed out. I just personally found that I didn't agree with the movie or the politics behind it, I certainly don't agree with Mel Gibson or have any wish to go to him for any sort of spiritual fuel or guidance at all.

I will say though that I was amused that people were generally OK with the level of graphic violence in "The Passion," to the point where kids (and I mean little kids) were being brought to the movie with Mom and Dad, but only a few years before that the people who largely filled the seats for "The Passion" were the ones who went ballistic over the graphic violence and torture in "Braveheart." Same director and like "The Passion" it was a historical drama of varying accuracy to real life that featured the real-life (with artistic liberties) struggle of a man regarded as a hero by a great number of people, but that torture scene was deemed disgusting and over-the-top.

I have a hard time seeing how graphic violence in "Hostel" is bad, or even in movies like "Eastern Promises" or "History of Violence" (both of which made waves for their graphic violence) where the violence was not only key to the plot, it is what forwarded the plot and the movie would have been lesser for it, the violence is condemned... But if Viggo Mortenson had been playing Jesus, it'd have been OK.

In the end though if he wants to make that kind of movie and people want to watch it, they can go right ahead. I'll opt out. I did for that Mayan disaster he did for the same reason. I've no need to see anything that over-the-top gross, I don't care what the director's reason for it is.

Anecdotal: I went to see Apocalypto with serious reservations for the same reasons you cite, only to find the Mayan film strong and, indeed, engrossing. It is one of those films that has stayed with me, actually, and yes, partly because of the said violence. Go figure.

Upvote 0

Chamdar

Dec 10, 2008
I-4 Corridor
✟7,951.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I found The Last Temptation of Christ offensive, and not just for the obvious reasons (i.e. blasphemous content). I thought it was a terrible film altogether.

I didn't mind the Hostel movies. They were/are gruesome, yes, but the villains at least got theirs at the end of both of them.
I've never bothered to see the Saw movies.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2010
Australia
✟15,133.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm, maybe I scare easy, lol.
Well, the sequels to The Silence of the Lambs were very offensive to me, in fact I couldn't watch more than bits and pieces. They were a mish-mash of blood and gore, a freakish expose of the bottomless pit of psychopathy that was Hannibal Lector. The last one, I think called Hannabil Rising was so disgusting, offensive, sadistic and evil that I was mentally tortured watching the bits I saw of it.
In fact I have sworn off horror movies for life.:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oddi725

Mar 9, 2010
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Avatar..... Not because I'm a Christian, because I'm going to school for a film degree and that writing was pathetic yet it's seen as some great masterpiece? ugh...

As far as being offended due to being a Christian, I get offended in general with overly used cursing/nudity and anything that flat out makes fun of God and Jesus. However, I can't really name one movie I've seen that completely offended me. Sure alot of movies have had parts that have been offensive, but I personally haven't walked out or turned off a film due to something ridiculous. Maybe it was sinful for me to hear all of those F-bombs in The Departed, but man, that movie was so good. lol

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I hate really gross gory horror movies. I don't like trashy movies with a lot of violence and cursing, where the "f" word is heard every minute or so. I don't like nudity and premarital promiscuous sex, crime, gangs, drugs, witchcraft, etc. Sometimes I like kid movies with kiddie magic, like Disney movies. I like some Fantasies. I'm not sure if I want to see Twilight, perhaps I should read the book first. Truthfully, I don't like vampires, drinking blood is so gross. I prefer fairies and unicorns. You won't catch me watching "Hostel" or "Saw" I got the Princess and the Frog dvd, I love it, what a great movie! I really did not like the Passion of Christ, for one thing it seemed like Catholic propaganda, a lot of what happened in it is not in the Bible at all, It was extreme and there was no need for the over the top amount of gore and bloodshed in the scenes.

Plus, worse of all, it never showed the Resurrection! At the end they just showed Jesus alive walking around in his tomb, but they never showed the glorious resurrection, after 3 days were over and God sent the angel to roll away the stone covering the opening of his tomb, when he came out of his tomb alive, defeating death, Satan, hell and the grave. The angel bowed down before him and the Roman soldiers guarding his grave fainted with fear of the power of God. That is the best part of the story of Jesus Christ, that he was raised from the dead and is alive today.

Upvote 0
H

h_seaton

My husband and I try our best to stay away from all movies that have nudity or a lot of sexual material. It is hard to get those images/thoughts out of your head once you have seen them. Also, I think God would be offended by movies like that and we really do strive to be more like God.

More recently we rented The Invention of Lying because it was supposed to be funny and it was rated PG-13. It ended up being so offensive to me. It made it seem like religion in general is just one big lie. It's sad to think that this is the message that is spread.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
One that comes to mind immediately is Ghost. What offends me is lies presented as spiritual truth, and in that movie, the popular idea is reinforced - people we like go to Heaven, people we don't like go to Hell. UGH. What a deceptive load of crap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

E-beth

Senior Contributor
Feb 6, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟20,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not easily offended. I can watch almost anything and my Christian sensibilities do not come into play. I usually know when something is naughty or sacreligious enough to avoid them in the first place, though.

I did not get offended by Passion of the Christ. I thought it was eye-opening as to what Jesus suffered. It was graphic, but I knew it would be.

I WAS offended by Happy Feet. I took my son to see it with a birthday party. I thought it would be about cute dancing penguins. Instead I saw a mildly disguised piece of propaganda dealing with religious intolerance. The head honcho penguins were mystical and spiritual, yet they were brutally intolerant of a penguin who was "unnatural" when it comes to mating rituals. To the point where his parents were expected to shun him. It seemed to me to be pointing at the conservative Christians and their view on homosexuality. And interestingly enough, I am not a conservative Christian.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
One that comes to mind immediately is Ghost. What offends me is lies presented as spiritual truth, and in that movie, the popular idea is reinforced - people we like go to Heaven, people we don't like go to Hell. UGH. What a deceptive load of crap.

I thnik that is a much better reason to be offended. I find those who find offense because of words nudity or material covered without looking at how and why it is in the film are immature at best. (Note: being offended by gratitous nudity or swearing IS looking at how why they are in the film).

One film that comes to mind is 'Eastern Promises' a film about the Russian Mafia in England. If one decides to be offended by sex or nudity then one has to be offended by this film. But the sex scene is very very well done. It shows an empty and disgusting scene as just that, and it uses a very attractive woman in the scene, yet I a redblooded male that should have found her body arousing instead found the whole situation disgusting and depressing. Perfectly done as I see it.

Now I would be offended if the film was billed as light viewing or something for children. A very adult film in hte good sense of the word adult.

Upvote 0

Ocean Gypsy

Apr 4, 2010
✟7,639.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
To be honest, I'm not offended by much. Actually, one of my vices is horror movies.

I love the Nightmare On Elm Street series and the Saw movies. The Saw movies have an interesting, albeit twisted message to them. I don't watch them for the death scenes (which I could do without) but I watch them for the story. I've never seen Hostel, but from what I've heard it's just senseless torture for no good reason. I'm not really interested in seeing that.

One movie I didn't care for was The Exorcist. People kept telling me how scary it was, but when I saw it I felt very disturbed by it. I also felt really hollow, if that makes any sense. It was just a movie that made me feel really bad inside after watching it, and I don't ever want that feeling again.

Upvote 0

Cynthia85

Doctor... Captain Picard... Let's make it so!
Jun 21, 2006
Here for a while, heaven for eternity
Visit site
✟8,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I actually was not offended by The Passion of the Christ at all. Yes it was gorey, but that was actually closer to the truth of what happened to Christ. We read it in the Bible and it doesn't really hit how horrible it really was because we're not familiar with the customs of that time period. When I was in college, I did a paper on the punishments of condemed criminals during that time period and it almost made me vomit because it was so gruesome.

I haven't really seen anything that down right offended me. Maybe I have a thicker skin then most.

Upvote 0